Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

08-26-2012

USA

76 Signins

332 Page Views

• Views: 332
  • Message 1 of 80

Please Bring Back Physical Mouse Buttons!

2014-03-07, 21:38 PM

I was waiting for the new version of the ThinkPad X1 Carbon before purchasing my next laptop. I was greatly disappointed by the radical changes to the keyboard layout and the lack of physical mouse buttons. I was also considering the ThinkPad T440s, but that too lacks physcial mouse buttons.

It is a completely different ergonomic / usability experience when there are no physcial mouse buttons. I have owned several Apple laptops since the first unibody aliminum Macbook was released in 2008 (without any physcial mouse buttons) and I am never as productive using any those laptops as when I am using my ThinkPad T420s. There are times when I need the precision of having physical mouse buttons and I also like to rest my thumb on the mouse buttons while positioning the cursor for certain tasks. This is simply not possible anymore with any of the ThinkPads.

Please bring back the physical mouse buttons.

Lenovo could easily make this a configuration option to cater to all of their potential customers. I believe there would be strong sales for the configurations that include physical mouse buttons. I simply cannot bring myself to buy another ThinkPad because of this, and it is a shame, because ThinkPads were nearly perfect before this change.

ThinkPads: T410s, T420s | Coupon Code Swap | Take Ctrl: Keyboard Shortcuts
Options

52 Posts

10-26-2010

Hamburg / Germany

540 Signins

1382 Page Views

• Views: 1382
  • Message 2 of 80

Re: Please Bring Back Physical Mouse Buttons!

2014-03-08, 23:22 PM

I would in particular like a solution where I could rest my fingers on the buttons. Now clicking left while touching on the right side will be recognized as a right click :smileyfrustrated:

Also it can really slow down my workflow not being able to click more than one button at once.

And the clickpad has significantly harder travel, I don't like getting arthritis in my knuckles.

Making optionally available physical buttons will increase the likelyhood that my next laptop will be a thinkpad again by a lot.

Options

1 Posts

04-18-2014

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 3 of 80

2014-04-18, 5:14 AM

I 2nd this.

Please bring back physical buttons.

Options

1 Posts

05-08-2014

Eearth

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 4 of 80

2014-05-08, 12:33 PM

I agree... why did you remove those buttons?? For example X1 Carbon looke ALOT better in first verstion, and it was MUCH more usable. Any chance of getting it back? I'm waiting!

Link to image

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Options

1 Posts

07-26-2014

USA

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 5 of 80

2014-07-26, 6:43 AM

Yes, please give us the option of physical mouse buttons.  ThinkPads are the only laptops I've ever used, and my T60p is due for an upgrade, but it would be a downgrade if I lost the mouse buttons.  I can't accept that.

The only things I would change about the T60p would be to make it lighter, update the CPU, and maybe add more pixels.  But definitely keep the IPS, the mouse buttons, the trackpoint, the hard disk, and the full keyboard (with function keys, backquote, and backspace in their proper places).

Options

89 Posts

01-08-2014

Finland

258 Signins

1961 Page Views

• Views: 1961
  • Message 6 of 80

2014-07-28, 19:51 PM

I would be very happy to buy a top-spec machine with trackpoint, and separate mouse buttons, and a proper keyboard. I have been a  happy ThinkPad user from the middle 90's. I still have a W500 at home, but the next machine will definitely not be a Lenovo if proper ergonomics has not returned when it is my time to upgrade.

Current clickpad configuration is ergonomically flawed. Useless for a trackpoint user like me.

Lenovo, please bring back the physical mouse buttons!

Options

24 Posts

01-16-2012

Canada

61 Signins

503 Page Views

• Views: 503
  • Message 7 of 80

2014-08-15, 3:00 AM

Seconded!  The clickpad is aweful - feels like a cheap toy.  And soften the laptop front corners - I find the palm of my left hand rests on the corner and feels sharp because it digs into my hand.  And why does the supposed white background on this high-end display have a brownish tinge?  C'mon Lenovo, pull it together!

Options

17 Posts

03-26-2014

USA

57 Signins

289 Page Views

• Views: 289
  • Message 8 of 80

2014-08-18, 3:37 AM

The Thinkpads used to be my laptop of choice until my first encounter with the new touchpad on the X1 carbon.

Forget about the idiotic adaptive keyboard since it's only on the X1 (still, whoever designed that crap should come out and apologize for their stupidity).

As for the touchpad buttons, it just never works for those of us who use the trackpoint. In fact, the trackpoint is no longer effective especially when the mouse clicks are not reliable anymore (clicks not registered or right-click registered as left-click, etc, etc).

Lenovo, if you're trying to chase away your customers, then you've done a fabulous job in that. The main reason that I've been sticking with Thinkpads is (or was) because of the trackpoint and mouse button combination that make the laptop very productive on the road. Now the buttons are all gone in the current Thinkpad lineup and I simply won't buy any of them now.

Options

43 Posts

03-08-2013

UK

87 Signins

852 Page Views

• Views: 852
  • Message 9 of 80

2014-08-18, 8:23 AM
Sadly, not going to happen. Lenovo is long aware of related "unrest" :) http://blog.lenovo.com/products/why-you-should-give-in-to-the-new-thinkpad-keyboard
Options

17 Posts

03-26-2014

USA

57 Signins

289 Page Views

• Views: 289
  • Message 10 of 80

2014-08-18, 8:34 AM

That article was only about the keyboard layout - which I didn't have a problem with my T430s. It didn't affect the usablility that much anyway. (The X1 Carbon Gen2 keyboard, however, is a different story and I'm not going to get into the details of how it is).

Moderator comment: Remark(s) contravening the Community Rules removed - profanity / implied profanity. Keep it clean.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms