Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-18-2011

Pennsylvania

4 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 1 of 5

Problems Ghosting

2011-11-18, 15:39 PM

Has anyone tried ghosting an image of the original hard drive, then restoring the image to a new hard drive? I've tried unsuccessfully a few times. The backup drive won't boot - just stays at a blank screen with a cursor.

A KB article I found on Lenovo's website through Google said to launch ghost with the -IB switch when creating then restoring the image. That only helped somewhat. When I try to boot the backup disk (with the restored image) now, it says I have to run Windows in repair mode due to a hardware change. Lenovo does not supply a Windows 7 disk so this is not possible.

My thought is ghosting the image then restoring it should just work as I've seen it with other computers in the past. Anyone have any suggestions?

Options

315 Posts

02-21-2008

Singapore

577 Signins

3826 Page Views

• Views: 3826
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Problems Ghosting

2011-11-18, 15:50 PM

wrote:

Has anyone tried ghosting an image of the original hard drive, then restoring the image to a new hard drive? I've tried unsuccessfully a few times. The backup drive won't boot - just stays at a blank screen with a cursor.

A KB article I found on Lenovo's website through Google said to launch ghost with the -IB switch when creating then restoring the image. That only helped somewhat. When I try to boot the backup disk (with the restored image) now, it says I have to run Windows in repair mode due to a hardware change. Lenovo does not supply a Windows 7 disk so this is not possible.

My thought is ghosting the image then restoring it should just work as I've seen it with other computers in the past. Anyone have any suggestions?

I do it all the time, in fact, when my Samsung 830 SSD comes in the mail, i'll have to do it again B-)

Basically don't use lenovo RnR, i have encountered failure several times in the pass, so I gave up. Use Acronis Home Image, there is the 30 days full version trial which would suit your needs easily.

With lenovo, make sure BEFORE you start, you didn't turn on all the security stuff like security chip / Client security / RnR and so on. When cloning (ie ghosting) the drive, check the BIOS that the drive is AHCI or compatibility. Obviously you need to clone to a new HDD/SDD on the same lenovo machine or else you would get that 'hardware change' error. Acronis has a tool (must pay) that you can install clone and transfer to a different machine. However, this tool may not work on lenovo HDD/SDD because of the master boot sector which checks for machine type.

If you clone a HDD/SDD to another HDD/SDD on the same lenovo, there shouldn't be any problem. Also, if you encounter that requirement to repair window 7, there are official digital downloads that you can create a CD/DVD just for that, it's free and legit form Microsoft.

Options

2598 Posts

03-19-2009

Germany

5614 Signins

73478 Page Views

• Views: 73478
  • Message 3 of 5

2011-11-18, 16:07 PM

If you clone your HDD you must first exchange the HDDs, that the target drive is built in.

The LBA-addressing of the internal drives is different to external drives, so the bootrecord of the boot partition cannot be found. - Only the blinking cursor will be shown then.

If the new drive has the same or higher capacity, you also can use clonzilla for cloning the drive.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
Options

437 Posts

08-13-2010

Tucson, Arizona

1589 Signins

6792 Page Views

• Views: 6792
  • Message 4 of 5

2011-11-18, 18:00 PM
I swap my HDDs every week - I cloned a "reserve" drive and have it mounted in a spare Lenovo caddy with rubber rails.. I alwys have a reserve drive ready to go The clone function has never failed. Clonezilla should work - I use Acronis TI 2012 mounted on a bootable thumb drive. Cloning is always best done outside of Windows or any other OS.
Options

3 Posts

11-18-2011

Pennsylvania

4 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 5 of 5

2011-11-21, 22:46 PM

I was thinking of using Clonezilla, but I ended up using Ghost. I saved the image to a network drive using Ghost Server. I got tired of going through different iterations of trial and error, and eventually I found something that worked (that's good enough for me, for now).

Although not the resolution I was looking for, I only saved an image of the system partition (with the OS). I then created and used the System Recovery Disks on the new (backup HD). The system recovery disk set has an image with the original factory settings, partitions, etc. Once I got the laptop to work with the new HD, I ghosted the saved image of the windows partition from the other drive. After a couple reboots, it worked just fine.

Something obviously wasn't jiving with the boot sector and partion when I Ghosted the entire drive, even when trying different options in Ghost. I won't know if running Windows in repair mode would have helped either because Lenovo does not supply an OEM Windows 7 disk.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm gonna hold onto the advice becuase at some point in the future I may try this excercise again (perhaps use another version/brand of imaging software).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms