Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

12-04-2009

Florida

165 Signins

700 Page Views

• Views: 700
  • Message 1 of 4

Problems with internet speed and downloads

2009-12-07, 3:33 AM

Before I explain my situation, here is some background information: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T400s (Type 2801) with Windows 7 (Ultimate). I have had it for a little over one month and haven't encountered any serious problems until now. There are two parts to the problem:

First of all, three days ago my wireless internet router had to be replaced due to connectivity problems with all of my household computers. Once this problem was resolved, I had no problem connecting to the internet, but the process of moving from one site to the next suddenly became extremely slow--so slow that it takes minutes rather than seconds to transfer to a site. My laptop is the only computer experiencing these problems (the other two household laptops have experienced no trouble).  

Secondly, the day after my internet router was changed, my Norton Antivirus trial expired. I removed the program from my system and tried to download the free AVG antivirus software. The downloading process took a ridiculous amount of time, but before the download was complete, an error notice popped up, requesting that I check my internet connection and retry the download. I was fully connected and after several attempts (including trying to download other free antivirus software), I was never able to successfully complete any download.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice--thank you!

Options

315 Posts

02-21-2008

Singapore

577 Signins

3826 Page Views

• Views: 3826
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Problems with internet speed and downloads

2009-12-07, 7:44 AM

wrote:

Before I explain my situation, here is some background information: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T400s (Type 2801) with Windows 7 (Ultimate). I have had it for a little over one month and haven't encountered any serious problems until now. There are two parts to the problem:

First of all, three days ago my wireless internet router had to be replaced due to connectivity problems with all of my household computers. Once this problem was resolved, I had no problem connecting to the internet, but the process of moving from one site to the next suddenly became extremely slow--so slow that it takes minutes rather than seconds to transfer to a site. My laptop is the only computer experiencing these problems (the other two household laptops have experienced no trouble).  

Secondly, the day after my internet router was changed, my Norton Antivirus trial expired. I removed the program from my system and tried to download the free AVG antivirus software. The downloading process took a ridiculous amount of time, but before the download was complete, an error notice popped up, requesting that I check my internet connection and retry the download. I was fully connected and after several attempts (including trying to download other free antivirus software), I was never able to successfully complete any download.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice--thank you!

I am guessing that you are using the Internet Explorer 8 build into the Win7? If that is the case,

a) launch IE8,

b) click on the tools

c) manage addon

d) disbale java(tm) Plug-In2 SSV from Sun Microsystem

This will help 80% of the time, if not, disable ALL the add on, test, add 50% back, test, then the other 25% and so on till you find the culprit. In most cases so far, it is the java thingie (which is useless anyway).

For part 2, I normally download Bitcomet which is a great download management software, it allows you to download 500% faster and also resume your download (most of the time) if there was interrruption. It's Free anyway.

Download firefox, it is better than IE8 anyway.

For antivrus, try Microsoft Essential, its free and just launched on Sep 2009, Personally I feel better than AVG (I have tried most of the free antivirus for 10+ years, finally settled on a paid Kaspersky Internet Security).

PS: If wireless solution didn't work as above, more info on your setup/programs use would be useful

Options

22 Posts

12-04-2009

Florida

165 Signins

700 Page Views

• Views: 700
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-12-07, 9:14 AM

Thank you for your reply! Before I received your advice, I continued to play around with some ideas. I ended up disabling Windows' Firewall for a time, downloaded the AVG antivirus software, then re-enabled Firewall afterwards, and somehow (I don't quite know how I managed to stumble upon this) it worked. I suppose Firewall was slowing down my connection, preventing me from downloading any software?

And yes, I have been using IE8; I will be downloading Mozilla Firefox next. Thank you for the suggestion of Kaspersky. I believe I'll give it a trial run. Appreciate it!

Options

5673 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40126 Signins

772310 Page Views

• Views: 772310
  • Message 4 of 4

2010-03-26, 12:28 PM
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms