03-08-2020

CA

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 3

Question about PWM dimming

2020-03-08, 17:48 PM

I am sensitive to PWM dimming, and looking to buy a Thinkpad T400 or T500 series. I've researched the various models on notebookcheck reviews to see which ones use PWM.  I understand one can order LCD panel parts and swap out screens relatively easily.

My question is: If I see a review of a T4xx or T5xx that says a certain model number does use PWM dimming, can I get rid of it by replacing the screen with one from a different model?  In other words, is it the panel itself, or is it the particular laptop model that causes PWM dimming?

Thanks.

Options

792 Posts

07-25-2013

AU

678 Signins

9430 Page Views

• Views: 9430
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Question about PWM dimming

2020-03-08, 23:11 PM

Hi,

It's always best to buy the spec you want from the beginning. You should order the PC with the screen you want from the get go. Usually there's a selection of 2 to 3. Using panels between different models will more often fail than work, and definitely will not be officially supported.

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
Options

2 Posts

03-08-2020

CA

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Question about PWM dimming

2020-03-09, 4:29 AM

Thanks, but because of the panel lottery, it's not always possible to know which panel one is getting. Besides, I can usually buy both a used model plus a replacement screen for it, for less than the cost of the model with the (hopefully) panel I want.

I would still like to know if the PWM flickering is caused by the panel itself, or by something else the panel is connected to.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete