Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-06-2012

USA

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 6

Question on recovery partition Q and upgrading to SSD for T400

2012-08-06, 3:07 AM

Recently bought a used T400 which presumably was a corporate lease whose warranty ran out. The seller did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 32 bit from the receovery partition Q. I bought an SSD and when I open drive Q to create the recovery disk(s) it tells me the needed file of recovburncd.exe is missing, actually the entire subfolder in the Program Files>Lenovo>factory recovery is missing as well.

I searched around the forum and found various ways to utilize PIM files off drive Q or clone software and etc. However even after showing all hidden files I see nothing in Q. The partition is 10GB with 8GB free, not sure if the 2GB being used is the actual recovery data?

Ideally I was hoping to create a recovery disk, install SSD, then do a clean install of Windows 7. Any suggestions or do you all think my Q drive is indeed empty and useless? Thanks in advance!

(SSD kit came with Norton Ghost but I'd really like to do a clean install for obvious reasons)

Options

7218 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29290 Signins

1678563 Page Views

• Views: 1678563
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Question on recovery partition Q and upgrading to SSD for T400

2012-08-06, 3:15 AM

welcome to the community.

you mention that the previous owner reimaged the machine from the recovery partion. you might want to try to create a recovery disk set. if you hit the start orb and search for "restore" or "recovery", it should list the item to start the process. i think there's also a control panel item that can do it.

if the previous owner already created a set, then you won't be allowed to create another, but if you succeed, you'll be able to use the set to image your ssd to the t400's factory delivered state.

hth.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

315 Posts

02-21-2008

Singapore

577 Signins

3826 Page Views

• Views: 3826
  • Message 3 of 6

2012-08-06, 4:33 AM

You can do a 'custom' recovery disc setup. What you may want to do is to use Norton Ghost to clone the HDD to the SSD because the whole C and Q drive will be intact.

Then remove the HDD and put in the SSD, restart, press blue button and then reset to factory settings. That will give you the 'fresh' install that you want, straight from official lenovo partition stuff.

If you cannot create a recover disc sets, it means that someone already has done it. Hence the above cloning method is one way to do it. After the cloning, you can 'shrink' the HDD content by removing everything on the C drive except the Window folder, then use free tools such as Partition Wizard  reduce the C partition to the smallest. backup the C and Q drive on the HDD.

In the future, if you need to 'recover' your laptop, use the same partition wizard to copy C and Q drive to the HDD/ new HDD, restart and then press the blue button to do the factory restore.

Options

3 Posts

08-06-2012

USA

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 4 of 6

2012-08-06, 15:35 PM
Thank you for the suggestions!

Please pardon my ignorance on recovery methods (I usually just do clean installs with OEM/retail Windows disks), but to confirm, I have 2GB of "data" on my Q drive (out of 10GB), which I cannot see nor access. But if I was to clone the entire HDD, then press the Blue Button upon first startup post SSD install, I can perform a reset and I *should* be able to perform a clean install via cloned Q drive?
Options

315 Posts

02-21-2008

Singapore

577 Signins

3826 Page Views

• Views: 3826
  • Message 5 of 6

2012-08-07, 5:15 AM

Yes, provided your current C and Q drive have not been messed with. This mean with the current setup, you can press Blue Button and do the factory restore.

I have done it several times in the past, which is to clone the HDD to a SSD and then swap in the SSD, boot up and do a factory restore. This leaves the HDD original stuff intact. If the SSD cloned+factory reset work, then you can decide what to do with the content in the HDD. (My suggestion is to shrink it down then back it up)

Options

455 Posts

05-26-2012

Raleigh, North carolina

191 Signins

14841 Page Views

• Views: 14841
  • Message 6 of 6

2012-08-07, 13:59 PM

Hey Daludidi,

Everyone is giving out some great suggestions! I just wanted to link some guides that could help you understand a few things.

Here is the guide that talks about the Q and S drives:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-70829

This one talks about how to Volume shrink ( partition the unallocated disk space in Windows 7) :

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT070626

Best Regards,

Hiro

Did you find a post Awesome? A response just Outstanding? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a pat on the back for helping you out!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms