Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

128 Posts

02-17-2009

Sydney, Australia

285 Signins

1775 Page Views

• Views: 1775
  • Message 251 of 464

Re: R400/T400/T500/W500: display driver "amdkmdap" crashes

2009-02-26, 9:16 AM

I'm so glad I didn't get get the discrete video -- reading this scares me off.

Far better IMH to have perhaps invested the $ in the GMA X4500 + more RAM. I got 6GB :P

Options

237 Posts

10-18-2008

Amsterdam

849 Signins

7066 Page Views

• Views: 7066
  • Message 252 of 464

2009-02-26, 10:02 AM

Hi Mark,

I'd like to return to a point which is still open: I think that Lenovo should do something for the affected users as a sign of good will. ("Compensation" is the term I'd like to use here, though let's use a legally easier wording.) And I am not talking about giving kudos to you and me. How about a one year extension of the warranty the user bought?

Thanks for your efforts.

Best,

Izmi

Answer
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 253 of 464

2009-02-26, 13:26 PM

All,

A new formal tip MIGR-71851 has been released today along with the production version on the new driver.

UPDATE:  2/26/09 While this tip has posted, there is a lag is the file being available.   We expect the download link to be live in the next 6 - 12 hours.  I apologize, but rather than pull this post, I wanted to ensure members were aware. 

UPDATE: 2/27/09 - The file is now available through download via the link above.

UPDATE: 4/28/09 - NEW version 8.563 now provided through this tip link

I'm also marking this thread "solved" for the benefit of those that find the discussion in the forum - to readily understand positive action has been taken, additional information is available via the tip referenced, and that a new driver is available to download which will provide a benefit.  As additional actions / updates are made available, we can amend the "solution" pointer.

We will continue to monitor this situation and take further actions as appropriate.

Best regards,

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-27-2009 07:47 AM
Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 04-28-2009 05:47 AM

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

01-07-2009

New York

101 Signins

309 Page Views

• Views: 309
  • Message 254 of 464

2009-02-26, 15:36 PM

I agree with Izmi's suggestion of extended warranty.

Many of us have benefited from the excellent work by a few such as Izmi but have kept quiet since shutting off Aero allowed us to get our work done. However I expect many of us wasted many hours trying to resolve the problem with customer service or suffering from the crashes before turning to the Forum and finding a temporary fix. 

Since the problem first became known in October, the Lenovo marketing team (and configurating offerings) still led people to pay extra for such things as the useless graphics adapters and Vista ultimate. 

A warranty extension would be a lower cost method of providing some compensation than the more apppriate refund for the cost of the adapters.

T500 -Vista Ultimate -Intel core 2 duo T9400, 3 gb, Vista 32bit, 22inch display dvr, 17inch analog, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset,
system purchased 12 08
Options

79 Posts

07-31-2008

USA - MA

324 Signins

1619 Page Views

• Views: 1619
  • Message 255 of 464

2009-02-26, 18:23 PM

Hello All,

I am so mad- I had a huge post typed up this morning and accidentally hit the back button on my mouse, so *poof* all my typing disappeared....

Anyways, I am glad things are getting recognition on the Lenovo side. Thanks to Mark for jumping into our long thread.

Even with the beta driver installed, I still get a couple of quirks. They all seem to be related to the Windows display settings.

What happens with switchable enabled fully 100% (in BIOS and Power Manager, etc.) using ATI, I cannot drag my screens in the Display Settings the way I need them. My monitor setup is simple:

21" LCD on the left (hooked to VGA) and 24" lcd on the right (hooked to DVI)

The left lcd (21") should be my #2 screen (using extended desktop in Windows I would dran apps to the left instead of to the right) Then my 24" lcd is monitor #1. All of my main apps/Outlook, etc. live here

It is persisting to use the #2 monitor as the main screen. Trying to drag the taskbar to the other monitor is a pain, and doesnt work well.)

Lastly, if I switch to a different pc on my KVM, it's back to the screen flashing black a few times (but no BSOD with or without Aero) The way I have it setup is simply that when I change to a diff. pc, my 24" lcd stays showing content from the T500 and then the 21" lcd would show that other pc. Then when I switch back, the 21" lcd shows my extended desktop of the T500.

I have been using the same setup for years and it's worked from T4x-T6x series machines. So I end up resizing the windows again and it's kind of impossible for me to work all day without switching pc's.

*I did see that they mention some remaining caveats in the release notes this time...*

My "solution" once again was to turn off switchable in BIOS and run discrete only. Because (as mentioned above) leaving it in switchable screws up my monitor orientations. I even went one step further and switched the vga cable to the 24" (which should be my primary, understanding that the dock gives vga priority) but the quality of it on a 24" widescreen was too blurry and bad looking to work with 8+ hours a day. Back to DVI on the 24" and VGA on the 21"

We'll see if anything changes. If anyone else is getting this problem with the monitor orientations in Display Settings let me know. I have absolutely verified that I am running the new driver in any BIOS setting (whather switchable is on or off.)

I shall be following up again.

Thanks all for reading.

-Brian G.

T430s (current), T420s, ThinkStation S20
Options

237 Posts

10-18-2008

Amsterdam

849 Signins

7066 Page Views

• Message 256 of 464

2009-02-26, 18:52 PM

Hi Brian,

Do I understand you correctly that there have been no driver crashes (TDR or BSOD) so far with the new drivers?

wrote:

Even with the beta driver installed, I still get a couple of quirks. They all seem to be related to the Windows display settings.

What happens with switchable enabled fully 100% (in BIOS and Power Manager, etc.) using ATI, I cannot drag my screens in the Display Settings the way I need them. My monitor setup is simple:

21" LCD on the left (hooked to VGA) and 24" lcd on the right (hooked to DVI)

The left lcd (21") should be my #2 screen (using extended desktop in Windows I would dran apps to the left instead of to the right) Then my 24" lcd is monitor #1. All of my main apps/Outlook, etc. live here

It is persisting to use the #2 monitor as the main screen. Trying to drag the taskbar to the other monitor is a pain, and doesnt work well.)

Have you tried Presentation Director to set it up for you? I find that Presentation Director is easier to use than the Windows display settings dialog. Make sure that you update Presentation Director to the latest version.

wrote:
Lastly, if I switch to a different pc on my KVM, it's back to the screen flashing black a few times (but no BSOD with or without Aero) The way I have it setup is simply that when I change to a diff. pc, my 24" lcd stays showing content from the T500 and then the 21" lcd would show that other pc. Then when I switch back, the 21" lcd shows my extended desktop of the T500.

I also have some flickering going on when I activate/deactivate the external monitor. I've been told that this is expected Vista behavior. Have you been running XP with the older machines?

Options

51 Posts

02-03-2009

California, USA

153 Signins

629 Page Views

• Views: 629
  • Message 257 of 464

2009-02-26, 19:18 PM

wrote:

I agree with Izmi's suggestion of extended warranty.

Many of us have benefited from the excellent work by a few such as Izmi but have kept quiet since shutting off Aero allowed us to get our work done. However I expect many of us wasted many hours trying to resolve the problem with customer service or suffering from the crashes before turning to the Forum and finding a temporary fix. 

Since the problem first became known in October, the Lenovo marketing team (and configurating offerings) still led people to pay extra for such things as the useless graphics adapters and Vista ultimate. 

A warranty extension would be a lower cost method of providing some compensation than the more apppriate refund for the cost of the adapters.

I agree with what you're saying Jmark, but I'd like to take it one step further.  Even if the new production driver solves the problem, (which my experience with the beta drivers indicates that it won't), Lenovo still, for at least 5-6 months, knowingly sold defective machines to its customers.  To make matters worse, it then used the resources of its duped customers to help them more cheaply come up with fix (resources including phone calls to tech support, proprietary dump files generated our computers, internet resources used to send those dump files, internet resources and time used to describe the problem on forums such as this, i.e. resources that they could have and should have spent themselves to debug the product before putting it on the market).  In essence, Lenovo turned us all into unwitting beta testers for its not production ready products and, at times, charged us thousands of dollars for the privilege.  As a result of Lenovo's bad faith, many of us have lost countless hours of time and all sorts of essential work and personal data.  Therefore, I don't think a simple warranty extension is going to cut it.

In order to fully solve this issue Lenovo needs to do the following:

1) Send each affected user a personal apology letter.  This letter should be sent both electronically and through traditional mail services (such as USPS in the United States) and it should offer affected users the choice between the two following compensation packages:

1)  A full system refund for both the affected Thinkpad and port replicator.

2)  A package of incentives to keep the Thinkpad that might include all of the following:

i.  1 year warranty extension and/or the choice to convert the full term of an existing depot warranty to

onsite at no cost.

ii.  1 additional GB of RAM for each month of ownership of the defective product.  Here, months will be

rounded up so 1 month 1 day of ownership = 2 months = 2 GB of RAM.  Also, the RAM shall be

distributed in such a way that it can directly be used to improve your computer (i.e. if someone had

the product for 2 months and his computer had 2x1GB of RAM, he would be allowed to exchange

the 2x1GB modules for 2x2GB modules.  If that user had paid extra for a 1x2GB configuration, he

would be able to exchange his 2GB module for a 4GB module).

@                     iii.  An extra 50-100GB of internal harddrive space per month of ownership with the new drive @ 7200

rpm (and some other compensation for people who bought solid state drives).

iv.  Free upgrade to a comparable version of Windows 7 upon its release.

v.   Automatic extension of originally purchased warranty so that its end date is calculated from the

day that fully functional drivers were made available.

This may seem like a lot of compensation, but given how negatively Lenovo's bad faith treatment of us impacted some our ability to get work done and affected all of our ability to gain the full benefit of our original bargain with Lenovo, I think these two offers are more than fair.  I also feel that tying incentives to the length of the problem should help ensure that Lenovo never again just lets a major problem go undealt with for 6+ months.

As to Brian's comments, in addition to the crashes, I've also been having some weird display quirks with the new drivers.  For example, sometimes when I go to login to my computer, the log-in screen is mirrored across both monitors and once I log in, about 10% of the time, the screen stays in the mirrored configuration rather than defaulting to my preset extended desktop configuration.  Sometimes when I redock my computer, the video card refuses to recognize that the external monitor is attached, and I either have to put my computer back to sleep and wake it up or reboot it before it will work.  Finally, and mostly when I redock my computer (although not always) I get wierd issues with windows claiming that they're maximized when they're not (usually restoring and remaximizing fixes this, but not always).  I also very occasionally get problems with Windows ocassionally swapping screens between when I put the computer to sleep and when I wake it back up (i.e. I'll put the computer to sleep docked, I'll later wake the computer up, still docked, and all of the windows that had been on the external monitor have switched over to the Thinkpad monitor).

Options

237 Posts

10-18-2008

Amsterdam

849 Signins

7066 Page Views

• Message 258 of 464

2009-02-27, 9:45 AM

wrote:

All,

A new formal tip MIGR-71851 has been released today along with the production version on the new driver.

UPDATE:  While this tip has posted, there is a lag is the file being available.   We expect the download link to be live in the next 6 - 12 hours.  I apologize, but rather than pull this post, I wanted to ensure members were aware. 

So far, things look good.The FTP-download is still not working for me but I could get the file using the HTTP-download.

I've installed the new driver using the "uninstall first and then custom install"-method (because I don't need CCC). There hasn't been any problem in the install process.

The new drivers seem to do just what they should do; switching graphics seems to be a tad quicker, especially the ATI to Intel transition. I am using the Intel graphics now. External monitor tests follow later.

Options

79 Posts

07-31-2008

USA - MA

324 Signins

1619 Page Views

• Views: 1619
  • Message 259 of 464

2009-02-27, 13:36 PM

Good Morning Everyone,

Just another thought that I have questioned throughout this whole process is the advanced mini dock itself. I certainly understand from a manufacturing/engineering/cost perspective that you cannot offer entirely unique parts for every flavor of every laptop. The 2504-10U adv. mini-dock is the one I have been ordering since T60 was announced a few years ago. I have used this model dock with T60 (non widescreen), T61 14 and 15 inch widescreens and now T500 15 inch widescreen. Given that the cost of these is over $200 US dollars and that the advanced dock is much more $$$ (and much larger), I am surprised to see no "new" offierings or refreshed in the advanced mini dock. If Display Port (of which we have no monitors supporting this, etc.) is being pushed so hard, I'm wondering when it will trickle down to the docking equipment. Or perhaps a dual dvi instead of vga and dvi.

I would order one of the advanced docks but they really look huge and I enjoy the small footprint of the mini dock. Not sure if Mark or any others know if something is coming down the pike.

I'll continue to report and successes or bugs that I encounter.

But for what its worth, please dont close this thread yet even though the driver is posted. Let's keep working on this until its 100% :smileyvery-happy:

-Brian G.

T430s (current), T420s, ThinkStation S20
Options

51 Posts

02-03-2009

California, USA

153 Signins

629 Page Views

• Views: 629
  • Message 260 of 464

2009-02-27, 18:35 PM

I'm curious as to why this thread is labelled "solved" when even the lenovo site says "We currently have available a signed driver that fixes the TDR BSOD issue, but in our testing we have found several other issues that are preventing us from releasing the driver as a general update."  So to me, these new drivers still smack of a beta, and this "solution" still smells like a hacky workaround.

Of course, I was also curious as to why a heretofore reputable vendor of business oriented laptop would sell out its reputation of quality and service in order to knowingly sell an inherrently defective setups to unwitting consumers, so I guess I shouldn't really be surprised about shenanigans and dishonesty on the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms