Options

10 Posts

12-21-2018

United States of America

17 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 1 of 4

Replacement System Board SMBIOS Strings and Lenovo Vantage - Any Way to update System Family?

2018-12-21, 14:54 PM

I purchased a T25 that arrived DOA and had to have a system board swapped out. After tech was finally dispatched (Who's on first NBD support?) he swapped the board and set the serial number correctly. Since I mainly use that as a backup machine I am in the process of installing about a year's worth of patches. I went into Lenovo Vantage and is is identifying the machine as a T470. I know - same machine but as a result it wasn't finding any updates and oddly enough I may be the only guy who actually likes Lenovo Vantage.

I was able to use the WinFlash tool to set the system version to ThinkPad 25 - and now at least Lenovo Vantage downloads the updates correctly. It still is saying that it's a ThinkPad T470 - and I think that's because the bios is still reporting the system family as ThinkPad T470. Is there a WinFlash flag for setting the system family as well? The System Family on my main T25 reports ThinkPad T25.

Options

10 Posts

12-21-2018

United States of America

17 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: Replacement System Board SMBIOS Strings and Lenovo Vantage - Any Way to update System Family?

2018-12-21, 18:01 PM

So I'm not sure I care anymore - after re-installing Vantage it's showing the Make as ThinkPad25 and seems to be detecting updates accurately.

Family is still listed as ThinkPad T470 in SMBIOS - and I'm not sure if that impacts anything. As the hardware seems to be identical at the board level - not sure the system family string really matters. If a technician from Lenovo wants to weigh in, I'd appreciate it.

Options

11715 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40013 Signins

420789 Page Views

• Views: 420789
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: Replacement System Board SMBIOS Strings and Lenovo Vantage - Any Way to update System Family?

2018-12-22, 16:58 PM

On the BIOS screen, what does it show for the model?  The tech must have also set that at the time the serial was set.  My guess is that it is wrong.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

10 Posts

12-21-2018

United States of America

17 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2018-12-28, 16:26 PM

Oddly enough that was correct. Lenovo auto updater on the web seems to use this model string when identifying the system because it always was correct. The systemversion/systemfamily identifiers look like they are just used by windows /lenovo vantage for displaying a human readable system type in the windows system menu and the vantage application. Using winflash -patch -dvs "ThinkPad 25" updated the system version correctly but I didn't see a flag for system family. Again I'm not sure that matters but didn't know how system family smbios identifiers are used by Lenovo applications as correcting the system version seems to have fixed Lenovo Vantage.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms