Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

60 Posts

12-23-2012

India

601 Signins

2512 Page Views

• Views: 2512
  • Message 1 of 2

[Request] Remove display panel whitelist in T450/T450s/W550s BIOS

2017-07-25, 17:03 PM

This is request to Thinkpad software development team. As showed by this long forum thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/w550s-t550-lcd-screen-replacement-brightness-set-at-max.774101/

Some Intel core 5th gen Thinkpads like T450, T450s, T550, W550s has display panel whitelist in their BIOS which will cause brightness control not working in Windows if user installed display panel which isn't in the whitelist. The whitelist is based on the display EDID and are put inside the bios. There is no way to circumvent the whitelist without flashing the display's EEPROM (by altering the EDID) or patching the BIOS which are not easy thing to do for normal people.

So I hope Thinkpad dev team could release a BIOS update to remove the whitelist code. Because if not, this whitelist issue will hurt the sell value of those thinkpads. As if the screen is defective, finding the replacement display panel will be very difficult. As time goes by, who knows in future no one will produce the whitelisted lenovo panel anymore, then those thinkpads (with defective screen) would lose their sell value. Thinkpad is most known for its repairability, so I hope this feat can be maintaned.

Options

1 Posts

07-25-2017

Ireland

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: [Request] Remove display panel whitelist in T450/T450s/W550s BIOS

2017-10-06, 22:54 PM

I guess Lenovo like how this enables them to make greater price differentiation for new laptops with the better screens but your point is well made once products start coming towards the end of their warranty periods and screens break. At that point (when Lenovo have already made their money on the upfront sales) it starts to look like bad business for them to make Thinkpads less modular and repairable than they have always been (especially since they don't even offer a manufacturer certified screen upgrade route)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms