Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2620 Posts

05-01-2010

United States of America

12818 Signins

148378 Page Views

• Views: 148378
  • Message 1 of 1

Review: T14 Gen 2

2021-04-05, 23:46 PM

A ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 arrived at my home a week ago. As a member of Lenovo Advocates, every so often I receive units to review.

ThinkPads are always a favorite with business professionals because of their sleek design, power, mobility, and durability, as well as many features including a Kensington lock slot.

This year for the T14 Gen 2 there are some special features including:

• Choice between Black and Storm Grey Aluminum
  • New 11th Gen Intel CPUs with Iris Xe Graphics
  • Nvidia MX450 dGPU
  • WWAN options CAT16 or CAT12
  • Dolby Vision UHD panels
  • Smoother touchpad surface

ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14 inch laptops are tested against 12 military-grade requirements and more than 200 quality checks to ensure they run in extreme conditions. From the Arctic wilderness to desert dust storms, from zero-gravity to spills and drops.

Options are available at order, but the following were included in the ThinkPad that I received for review:

Color

Storm Gray (aluminum top) which is a dark gray graphite color

Dimensions

(W X D X H) 329x227x17.9mm/12.9x8.9x0.70in

Operating System:

Windows 10 Pro v. 20H2 (build 19042.867)

Windows Note: When I do reviews I manually clone the system to my current daily driver so I can compare performance. I have been a person who preferred to operate Windows with a local account so I could handle updates, etc. manually. However this time, as I was short on time between meetings and Easter Week, I opted to allow Windows to use the cloud to enable a few features available with a log-in to my Microsoft account. To be honest, I was very impressed. Apps, including my printer, installed smoothly. As soon as I turned the printer on, there it was on the new T14. I was prepared as usual with all my backups and removeable media for installations, but I did not need any of it except for my graphics application and one security app. Even with that, once I installed the initial setups via online or by DVD, all my tools, settings and personal resources were there – as if by magic. I am now convinced that the cloud is the way to go when setting up a new computer.

Drive:

1022.87 Gigabytes Usable HD Capacity

954.50 Gigabyte HD Free Space

Processor

11th Generation Intel Core i7 vPro Processor

Memory Modules

32472 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

2 Slots of 16384 MB

Storage

1 TB PCIe SSD

Display

14” FHD IPS PrivacyGuard On-Cell Touch (500nit)

Quite a bit of my hours are spent creating designs for a watch face business. My graphics application performed well by displaying clear colors. There was no lag as I worked on multi-layered multiple images at the same time.

Keyboard

This T14 includes the Lenovo’s classic spill resistant ThinkPad design with trackpad and red TrackPoint as well as a LED backlit keyboard with UC functions for F9–F11. Key travel is smooth and quiet.

Camera

HD IR hybrid camera with webcam privacy shutter2

Ports and Slots

1. USB-C Thunderbolt™ 4 (power delivery)
  2. USB-C Thunderbolt™ 4
  3. Side docking connector
  4. USB-A 3.2 Gen 1
  5. HDMI 2.0
  6. Headphone / mic combo
  7. MicroSD card reader
  8. Optional Smart card reader
  9. USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 (always on)
  10. RJ45
  11. Kensington lock slot

Docking Option

Existing mechanical side docking stations are sold separately:

Thunderbolt™ dock /USB 3.0 cable dock/ USB-C cable dock/ Side mechanical dock

After updating firmware on my two-year-old Pro 40AH Side Dock it worked perfectly with the T14 Gen 2.

Battery

Up to 10.7 hours , 50Whr battery (MM18)

AC Adapter

The T14 uses a Type-C 65W that supports RapidCharge.

When I saw this (refer to photo at top) my reaction was how “cute” it is compared with older, heavy, bulky AC adapters.

Audio/Microphone

Dolby Audio Speaker System

2x User-facing Microphones

Privacy and Security

Match on Chip Touch Fingerprint Reader

RFID and FIPS Fingerprint Reader2

dTPM 2.0 chip

Web camera privacy shutter

ThinkPad PrivacyGuard with On-Cell Touch2

Kensington™ lock slot

Weight:

When it comes to mobility weight is always a factor. ThinkPad T14 weight starts at 1.47kg/3.23lbs. I did not weigh the unit that I received.

Observations and Conclusion:

So far I am enjoying the T14 Gen 2. When I am not writing reviews and helping on Lenovo Forums I spend my work time doing graphic design for a watch face business. The T14 works well with multiple images open online and offline at the same time. Something that I noted on the newer Lenovo  ThinkPads is that there is a red plastic cord holder on the AC adapter cord. I love this because I never remove it by accident, thinking it is my external mouse cord that I’ve used for design work when it is time to do a firmware or BIOS update.

Speaking of BIOS updates, I was pleased to see that Lenovo Commercial Vantage arrived pre-installed. I have always preferred that version. In fact as soon as soon as I powered on, Vantage alerted me of a BIOS update that I did as soon as I finished setting up Windows.

Something else that I noticed is that in a cold environment the aluminum cover becomes quite cold, unlike my black ThinkPads with different coverings. This happened when the T14 was sittings on a desk near a window.  It might be something to consider if ordering a T14 that will be under an AC vent, next to a window, or will be on a worksite outdoors.

Read more about the ThinkPad T14 here:

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 |14 Inch Business Laptop | Lenovo US

Regards,

Bugbatter

Member, Lenovo Advocates

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Using Browser Search to Find Your Answers In Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)