35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Views: 332
  • Message 1 of 9

Serious graphics issues on T450s after upgrading to Win 10 1607

2016-08-14, 16:15 PM

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s with the following core specs:

- Windows 10 Pro x64 1511 [aka Threshold 2] (installed from scratch as 1507 (Threshold 1) and thereafter only updated via Windows Update. System was not upgraded from Win 7/8/or so).

- Intel i7-5600U (2.6Ghz).

- Intel HD Graphics 5500.

- 20GB RAM.

- SanDisk SSD 500GB.

- BIOS 1.25.

- Drivers up-to-date, taken from lenovo.com.

And I got the following problem:

System was running for more than 3/4 of a year very good with Windows 10 Th1 and Th2. Particulaly, there were never any graphic issues on the Desktop, e.g. corrupted graphics or such. However, from time to time (very occasionally, maybe once a month) the display hung for <1sec. and after that Windows reported "Graphics driver has crashed and has been restored". That's why I started to test also drivers from intel.com. But there was no difference.

So, except some very rare display driver crashes (both Lenovo and Intel drivers), everything was alright.

But then I go the 1607 Anniversary Update from Windows Update, and I have installed it.

interestingly, everything still seemd OK for a while (<10 hrs of usage and <10 reboots). But then I started to notice that within some circumstances, the graphics got corrupted and the PC became very(!) slow. There seemed to be a trigger (in my case AIMP 4), and after that the PC was unsuable. the only thing which helped was a reboot.

What exactly happened on the screen? As I've said, Windows become extremely slow (like CPU is busy with 100%, but in fact it was not) and windows (like ALT+F4 shutdown dialogue box) or context boxes (like right click) remained empty (only a 1px frame showed up but with no content).

I have tried different graphics drivers (Lenovo, Intel, Intel beta) but all of them showed this behavior. This occured on both wired and battery operation and was independent on battery saving options (I played around with all of them). I even set BIOS back to defaults but it did not help.

Interestingly, once the PC ran into this corrputed mode, there were only two way to revocer:

- reboot the system, or

- uninstall the Intel drivers.

When the PC was slow and the graphics corrupted, uninstalling the Intel driver helped. So when Windows removed the Intel software and activated its built-in standard VGA driver, the PC was fast again (of course screen resolution was low and the graphic animations not perfectly smooth). After reboot, Windows automatically installed the Intel driver again and again, after the "trigger" (e.g. AIMP) everything started again.

Then there was a comulative update to Win 10 1607, KB3176495 build no. 14393.51. After installing this update, the graphics was already corrupted after reboot. (No trigger required any more). And the graphics issues were even worse. In the start menu, all colors fainted (got darker), the text became black, and other things. After KB3176495, the PC did not get so extremly slow any more, but it still got noticeably slower whatsoever and moreover the graphic corruption was much much more serious! Again, I have tried different graphics drivers and also different graphics setting, but no success.

I was afraid this could be a hardware problem.

However, after reverting back my system to Windows 10 1511, everything works again great. No graphics issues. The PC is super fast. It is just great.

Is there an incompatibility with Windows 10 Anniversary update (1607) and the Intel HD 5500 graphics?

Any valuable feedback is highly appreciated. If you need more information, let me know.

Best,

Borkar

Solved! See the solution
Options

1 Posts

08-24-2016

AE

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Serious graphics issues on T450s after upgrading to Win 10 1607

2016-08-24, 5:26 AM

Hi

I have a similar problem. After the aniversary update is downloaded and the system restarted, the display starts and then becomes blank completely. The computer then becomes completely unresponsive and the only alternative is a hard shutdown. When the system is restarted, it seems to again revert back to the previous Win10 version. i have tried updating all graphics drivers and all system updates are ok. I am not sure whether there is a problem with an incompatible graphics driver or the battery management drivers.

Options

2 Posts

03-31-2016

DK

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 3 of 9

2016-08-31, 15:25 PM

I have the same issue, upgrading windows 10 to 1607 renders my t450s with black screen. If use an windows 10 usb I can revert to the previous build and get the screen back.

I have tried serveral things:

Upgrade via windows

Upgrade via windows media tool

Installing latest drivers for graphics both Nivida 940m and Intel 5500

My last try, I activated remote deskop connection. So I can login to my system. My laptop screen and any directly attached monitors are still completly black/no signal. (e.g. no mouse curser either).

When connected via RDP device manager complains over the intel 5500 and an unkown usb device.

I have observed same issue with t460 laptops.

Any news or answers?! this is a serious problem!

Options

8369 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77317 Signins

2195744 Page Views

• Views: 2195744
  • Message 4 of 9

2016-08-31, 15:44 PM

To the two previous posters:  your issue doesn't seem to be the same as the OP's.

Please see this post:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/No-laptop-display-after-Windows-10-Anniversary-Update/m-p/3416724/highlight/true#M62388

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

21 Posts

12-14-2012

DE

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2016-09-14, 11:20 AM

Short update:

Since this is my productive system, I have not tried to install the Anniversary Update any more, so I am still running 1511. But none of the problems described above have appeared again. So it was definitely a problem with the Anniversary Update.

I have tried to follow all change logs and update protocols of drivers and patches, which were released since then. But I have not found anything which makes me believe this problem is fixed yet. Until then, I will try to postpone the upgrade as long as I can.

Options

21 Posts

12-14-2012

DE

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2016-09-29, 17:11 PM

I updated to 1607 again and the bug still occurs! Please take note of my cry for help on the Intel forums,

https://communities.intel.com/message/424581#424581

Here is the posting, which explains everything. Take note of the video linked below.

QuestionsAnswers (N/A if not applicable)
Provide a detailed description of the issueSee my first post above. See also the video posted below.
Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")Always (100%): X (When triggered by e.g. AIMP. See video).

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):
Brand and Model of the system.Lenovo Thinkpad T450s
Hybrid or switchable graphics system?Intel HD Graphics 5500 only. No AMD or NV.
ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?
Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).LFP
LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)
How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).20 GB
Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.Full hardware config, please see my first posting above.
ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc
Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).See attachment.
Operating System version (see note2 below).Windows 10 x64 1607 14393.187
VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.1.26
Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).4483
SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.AIMP 4.1
Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).single
Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).60p Hz, 1920x1080
AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?does not matter
Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.1. See video below. See also description in my first posting above.
A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

Hi,

after almost every hardware got a new driver and also BIOS was updated from 1.25 to 1.26, I thought lets give the Anniversary Update another try. But unfortunately, the bug still occurs!

I am attaching all requested documents. i am also linkting a video I did just before where you can see this bug live.

YouTube 

or here

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av8rmZ4yaBkYg8EqSPQ5DztMxIYGXA 

First, everything is very responsive and no graphics bug occurs. After the "trigger" (in my case AIMP, but I believe there might be also other triggers), the graphics goes completely crazy. I open up the same windows before and after the bug. The difference is obvious!

Please have a look into this and fix it. It totally freaks me out on a 2000€+ laptop. In a few days I will uninstall the Anniversary Update again. Because without, everything works just perfectly.

Best regards,

Martin

Options

21 Posts

12-14-2012

DE

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2016-10-01, 5:05 AM

Btw, even after yesterdays Windows update and Intels beta driver 4530 the bug is still there.

Options

21 Posts

12-14-2012

DE

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2016-10-03, 15:32 PM

Hi,

I found out that if I disable the semitransparency option in AIMP,

the graphics issues cannot be triggered by AIMP any more. So the bug apprears to be gone.

But sill, I do not blame AIMP because in 1511 it works perfectly and with 1607 it causes Windows 10 to become unusable. So what happened in this update so my cutting edge laptop cannot even run AIMP any more?

I will also do a posting in the AIMP forums but I believe there should be a fix to this on a general level (Windows, graphics, driver, or something).

PS: I have noted in my first posting that even the start menu looked odd with disappearing icons etc. This seems to be fixed with some of the recent updates, the start menu had worked nicely since I updgard to 1607 some days ago again.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

21 Posts

12-14-2012

DE

35 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2017-05-28, 21:23 PM

For German readers, I found a blog with the solution description: https://ibelievable.blogspot.de/2017/05/grafikproblem-fenster-bleiben-leer.html

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete