Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

05-31-2021

Canada

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 3

Some BIOS options are disabled (greyed out) on T15g

2021-06-07, 14:57 PM

Hi,

I cannot find the answer anywhere in the documentation. I have noticed that some settings in BIOS (well, it is not BIOS, it is UEFI settings, of course ;) ) are greyed out and I am not allowed to change them. For example the one that enabled "Lenovo cloud" - it is set ot ON without any way for me to disable it. Same for "Thunderbolt 3 BIOS assist" and few others. No admin/superuser passwords are set. BIOS version is latest - 1.21. Does anyone know why? Is there a magic switch somewhere that unlocks them?

Options

9328 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78081 Signins

2243060 Page Views

• Views: 2243060
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Some BIOS options are disabled (greyed out) on T15g

2021-06-07, 16:04 PM

I only have the BIOS simulator to go on but at least one of those - Thunderbolt BIOS Assist - is unavailable when Kernel DMA Protection is ON in Security.   The Simulator in graphical mode notes that at the bottom of the Thunderbolt settings page.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

8 Posts

05-31-2021

Canada

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Some BIOS options are disabled (greyed out) on T15g

2021-06-07, 16:20 PM

I should have been more specific. The following settings are currently greyed out on my laptop, I am unable to control them:

Config -> Network -> Lenovo Cloud Services (set to On)

Config -> Network -> UEFI Wi-Fi Network Boot (set to off, that's better)

Config -> Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode

Config -> Thunderbolt 3 -> Wake by Thunderbolt 3

Config -> Thunderbolt 3 -> Security Level

Security -> Virtualization -> Intel Virtualization Technology

Security -> Virtualization -> Intel VT-d Feature

Indeed, disabling Kernel DMA Protection in Security settings enables all settings in Thunderbolt 3 section, also enables the virtualization settings I mentioned above. This leaves only first two ones and given the state of the second, I am only concerned abou the "Lenovo Cloud Services" which is forced to ON with no obvious way to disable it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms