Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

455 Posts

05-26-2012

Raleigh, North carolina

191 Signins

14841 Page Views

• Views: 14841
  • Message 11 of 26

Re: Someone here running reliably and steadily two different O/S (on 2 different HDD) in his T5xx ??

2012-08-15, 18:45 PM

Hey icarni,

Yes your right if you ran or have R&R on both HDDs you can have a R&R partition on both. I was just checking as we work though what could be issue and loose connection would make sense but I am not saying is the problem. I am also assuming you are using an ultra bay adaptor with your second hard drive?

A colleague suggested you switch the boot order we are not sure this would solve the issue but we think its worth a try.

Best Regards,

Hiro

Did you find a post Awesome? A response just Outstanding? Kudo them!
Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a pat on the back for helping you out!
Options

987 Posts

06-03-2011

United States of America

591 Signins

14790 Page Views

• Views: 14790
  • Message 12 of 26

Re: Someone here running reliably and steadily two different O/S (on 2 different HDD) in his T5xx ??

2012-08-15, 20:29 PM

Have you tired removing rescue and recovery from both drives?

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Options

114 Posts

05-31-2009

Barcelona

288 Signins

1541 Page Views

• Views: 1541
  • Message 13 of 26

2012-08-16, 0:10 AM

Yes, I use the ultrabay from Lenovo instead of DVD.

On disk "0" I dont have installed R&R under WinXP but I think it is hidden in a system part of the disk. If I could send you the scrrenshot you would see the disk "0" has a partition c:\ labeled "Preload" and then 2 others partition without a letter but an asterisk and labeled "ServiceV001" ... here I think is the R&R routine inside. The last partition is unlabeled and unallocated and only 8,34MB big from 120 GB.

And on my 2nd HDD is a brand new Win-7 system with all the gimmicks like R&R and Secure Disposal etc etc. This HDD is divided in d:\ labeled "SYSTEM_DRV", then I have E:\ labeled Windows7_OS and then I have f:\ called "Lenovo_Reco", here I think is the R&R routine inside (not sure). BIOS is btw 3.24 dated 2011-13-12.

Thanks for your hints.

Options

455 Posts

05-26-2012

Raleigh, North carolina

191 Signins

14841 Page Views

• Message 14 of 26

2012-08-16, 13:08 PM

Hey Icarni,

Ok so System_DRV is where your back up is stored and Lenovo_Reco is were the R&R routine is located so your correct on that HDD. On your disk "0" you should only have the Windows XP backup located on that disk being as you don't have R&R loaded.

Could you try to switch the boot order? Also I can suggest you make a back up of your second HDD and then remove R&R.

Best Regards,

Hiro

Did the post you read answer your question? Did someone help you figure out your problem? Hit Solution Provided and give that person a pat on the back for helping you out!
Options

8973 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77771 Signins

2227115 Page Views

• Views: 2227115
  • Message 15 of 26

2012-08-16, 19:51 PM

Hmm,

On my new T420, SYSTEM_DRV is the boot partition, and Lenovo_Recovery seems to contain R&R and the actual recovery image.

T420DriveLayoutResized.JPG

@icarni, if you look at your 2nd drive in disk management (in XP, I guess) can you tell which partition is marked active?  My WAG is that somehow your recovery partition is getting set active and  BIOS is booting that.

I don't have an XP machine handy, and I don't remeber exactly what you can do with its disk manager.  In the '7 manager you can set a patition active.

Failing that, maybe use a Linux live CD and gParted or fdisk and take a look at the active flags on your partitions. Try setting SYSTEM_DRV as the only active partition.

[edit] Correct my description of SYSTEM_DRV.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

455 Posts

05-26-2012

Raleigh, North carolina

191 Signins

14841 Page Views

• Message 16 of 26

2012-08-16, 20:29 PM

Hey Zoltanthegypsy,

Thanks for clarifying that for me I get them confused sometimes:

SYSTEM_DRV is where Lenovo (and some other manufacturers) put boot files and the Windows Recovery Environment, which lets you launch Windows’ built-in repair modes in case of trouble (Microsoft info). These files rarely, if ever, change.

Lenovo_Recovery (and similarly named partitions from other manufacturers) contains the factory-recovery software and data files. These are the programs and files you use if you want to wipe out everything on your PC and return the system to its as-delivered state. Factory-recovery files usually never change.

From this website: http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/system_drv-and-other-mystery-partitions/

This is pretty much what you said I just like how this is worded and once again thank you.

Best Regards,

Hiro

Options

8973 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77771 Signins

2227115 Page Views

• Views: 2227115
  • Message 17 of 26

2012-08-16, 20:39 PM

Hey Hiro,

Thank you for the clarification. That link makes a nice, simple explanation of what's there.  My (incorrect) guess was that the space taken in SYSTEM_DRV was R&R. but that link explains that it's the Win recovery tools.  I'll go edit my post...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

114 Posts

05-31-2009

Barcelona

288 Signins

1541 Page Views

• Message 18 of 26

2012-08-17, 7:41 AM
I will switch both disks today and will report. Other question is: In case I wanted to setup again both systems .... which are the most common errors I should avoid? .... Do I first install the one on disk "1" or in "0" first?
Options

114 Posts

05-31-2009

Barcelona

288 Signins

1541 Page Views

• Message 19 of 26

2012-08-17, 7:49 AM

lenovo.JPG

I finally managed to insert a picture. This is how it looks on my T500.

@Hiro: What is in the partition without letter on disk 1 (this is under Lenovo disk 0)?

@zoltanthegypsy: On disk "2" the partition E:\ is set non-active ..... is this the problem?

Options

114 Posts

05-31-2009

Barcelona

288 Signins

1541 Page Views

• Message 20 of 26

2012-08-17, 8:09 AM

Hiro, do me a favour. Take one of your T500's and install two O/S. Use both O/S a few days, play with Excel, Word or whatever. Boot the one O/S and then the other and viceversa and work with them a few times. Then just enter the BIOS and change whatever. Re-start. Play with both systems a little again a few days. After a few days enter again the BIOS and change again whatever. Always press F10 to secure changes and restart.

I am not sure, but the only extraordinary thing I have done is entering the BIOS (cant remember what I changed, probably the instructions to boot with discrete GPU or the Intel one or so) ......

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms