Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

10-22-2020

Germany

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 17

Strange Mechanical noise (like an old HDDs or floppy-disk) from my T590

2020-10-22, 13:02 PM

Hi,

i am facing the following issue with my brand-new Lenovo T590 that i use for business purposes. There is a high-frequency mechanical sound/noise similar to the ones the old mechanical HDDs or floppy disks were producing during I/O operations. I am sure that i am using an SSD so the only mechanical parts are the fan/s.  The sound comes from the bottom upper left part and it's quite different from the fan noise. I have made all the necessary updates (including BIOs) from Lenovo System Update application without any improvement. The sound is almost constant even if there is no high task activity and can be quite distracting and annoying. 

I tried also to clean the air ventilators on the bottom of the laptop but no improvement also. 

Any recommendations or ideas on how to fix the issue appreciated. 

Artemios.

Options

9469 Posts

08-17-2015

Slovakia

26677 Signins

575148 Page Views

• Views: 575148
  • Message 2 of 17

Re:Strange Mechanical noise (like an old HDDs or floppy-disk) from my T590

2020-10-22, 13:33 PM

Hello djarte,

it's very difficult to evaluate the issue based on a description, without hearing the sound. Would it be possible to upload a recording of the sound, lets say to Youtube, and post it here please?

Could you alternatively try checking, if the sound that you hear coming from your machine isn't similar to "Coil whine"? Simply search the term via Youtube which returns plenty of results and try to compare it, to what you're hearing from your machine.

Best regards,

Juraj
German, Czech & Slovak Community Lead

EN : Welcome to the Community! Have you already participated in the forum survey? Please, let us know what you like about our forum and what we can improve. We listen to your feedback!

DE : Willkommen in der Community! Hatten Sie bereits an der Foren Umfrage teilgenommen? Wir benötigen die folgenden Informationen. Wir hören zu und lesen Ihre Kommentare gerne!

CZ/SK : Vítejte v Komunitě! Už jste se zúčastnili našeho průzkumu fóra? Potřebujeme následující informace. S radostí posloucháme a čteme vaše komentáře!
_
Communities: English Deutsch Español Portugues Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Moto English
_

Options

7 Posts

10-22-2020

Germany

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2020-10-22, 14:30 PM

Hi Juraj, 

it's certainly NOT a coil whine sound. As i said it's more like a mechanical sound produced by an HDD or floppy disk during I/O operations. I recorded the noise and uploaded to my icloud account(you can also here the background noise from the fan also):

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/01Litb1alXCTOfvAYa9Df0ngw#New_Recording

Let me know if you can hear it.

Br,

Artemios.

Options

7 Posts

10-22-2020

Germany

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2020-10-23, 8:57 AM

Hi Juraj,

did you manage to hear the noise ? Any comments ?

Br,

Artemios.

Options

1 Posts

10-23-2020

Romania

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 17

2020-10-23, 9:05 AM

Hi ,

I am experiencing the same  noise on my Lenovo T590 that I got brand  new in March/2020.

It is indeed very annoying . Seems my laptop has also a samsung SSD so do not understand where the noise can come ?

Is there any way to completely turn off the FANS  in order to rule out the only mechanical part moving in this laptop  ?

Thanks,

Razvan

Options

9469 Posts

08-17-2015

Slovakia

26677 Signins

575148 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2020-10-23, 12:16 PM

Hi Artemios,

I was listening to the recording and also asked a colleague about his opinion and the recording definitely sounds like coil whine to us. It's not the same type of coil whine, that you could normally attribute to a GPU, which usually has a higher pitch, but I'm pretty sure its coil-whine from one of the parts of the laptop.

Best regards,

Juraj

EN : Welcome to the Community! Have you already participated in the forum survey? Please, let us know what you like about our forum and what we can improve. We listen to your feedback!

DE : Willkommen in der Community! Hatten Sie bereits an der Foren Umfrage teilgenommen? Wir benötigen die folgenden Informationen. Wir hören zu und lesen Ihre Kommentare gerne!

CZ/SK : Vítejte v Komunitě! Už jste se zúčastnili našeho průzkumu fóra? Potřebujeme následující informace. S radostí posloucháme a čteme vaše komentáře!
_
Communities: English Deutsch Español Portugues Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Moto English
_

Options

7 Posts

10-22-2020

Germany

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2020-10-23, 15:41 PM
Hi Juraj, thanks for the reply. Is it possible to minimize this noise somehow ? Is the GPU responsible for this ? Is it possible to update the drivers or/and firmware of the Nvidia GPU ? Am i the only one with such an issue on the T590s ? Br, Artemios.
Options

7 Posts

10-22-2020

Germany

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2020-10-23, 16:07 PM

Hi,

i did some experiments. Noise is off when i am on battery and the power mode = best battery life. On all other modes including the plugged-in with the charger the sound is there. Razvan with a different setup on T590 (no NVIDIA GPU) has the same observations. So I believe it's not related to the GPU or at least the dedicated one. It must be the fans. Is there any application that i can use in windows 10 to monitor the fan speeds ?

Br,

Artemios.

Options

9469 Posts

08-17-2015

Slovakia

26677 Signins

575148 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2020-10-26, 14:45 PM

@ djarte wrote:

Hi,

i did some experiments. Noise is off when i am on battery and the power mode = best battery life. On all other modes including the plugged-in with the charger the sound is there. Razvan with a different setup on T590 (no NVIDIA GPU) has the same observations. So I believe it's not related to the GPU or at least the dedicated one. It must be the fans. Is there any application that i can use in windows 10 to monitor the fan speeds ?

Br,

Artemios.

I am still convinced that it is coil whine from one of the conductors or other electric parts on the motherboard, especially due to you mentioning that on battery and on best battery life, you can't hear it, which would confirm my suspicion. You can check RPM speeds of your fans through a 3rd party tool like Open Hardware Monitor, which is for free and which I would recommend for this purpose.

Juraj

_
_

Options

7 Posts

10-22-2020

Germany

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 10 of 17

2020-10-26, 15:58 PM

Hi and thanks for the answer. 

Unfortunately there is no such information for the fan speeds in this 3rd party tool as you can see also in the image attached. Any other options ?

Br,

Artemios.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms