Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

07-21-2021

Malaysia

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 71 of 76

Re:T-Series Throttling

2021-08-11, 2:15 AM

A quick update on the tpfancontrol. after installing and setting it to auto and running for a few days, my machine shutdown due to overheating. since then i have removed tpfancontrol.

Options

6 Posts

07-21-2021

Malaysia

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 72 of 76

2021-08-11, 2:22 AM

thank you very much for sharing this. so i does seem to be an existing problem with gen 10.  after speaking to lenovo support i decided to completely reimage my laptop using the image stored on my disk. after that everything was working fine and the machine did not slow down to a crawl again even using Teams, Zoom.

HOWEVER, there was an update in vantage for Lenovo intelligent thermal as well as a bios update for my Thinkpad T14 Gen2 a few days back. That seemed to have caused the CPU to throttle down again during a Google meet session that we had. What the update did do was to keep my fan running on lower speeds instead of constantly at high speeds. I really thought the problem went away, but seems that it came back again :(

Options

76 Posts

03-31-2021

Poland

71 Signins

540 Page Views

• Views: 540
  • Message 73 of 76

2021-08-11, 9:40 AM

@alfonsojohan 

You need to read README files :)

There is nothing about this particular problem. Format/reimagining solves the problem for short amount of time.

Then you run more and more applications simultaneously and it comes back.

No hard evidence but this is what I observed regarding that issue.

Guys, maybe you can ask in direct message Lenovo representative if this problem on your machines is noticed or not by technical team or not?

Because this is something I am missing on this forum. 0/1 information. Is this under investigation on T14G2 / T480 etc or not? Currently this topic is somewhere is grayish/limbo zone.

BIOS:

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
  Version 1.41

[Important updates]
  Nothing.

[New functions or enhancements]
 - Upgrade the E-Labeling applcation to version 5.0.0.25

[Problem fixes]
 - Updated TGL B-0/B-1 MCU to m_80_806c1_00000086 to solve OS Hang with SSD AM630

LITS:
CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
  Version 2.0.382.3

[Important updates]
  Nothing

[New functions or enhancements]
- Improve thermal control for Modern Standby

Options

6 Posts

07-21-2021

Malaysia

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 74 of 76

2021-08-11, 13:19 PM

i actually enganged with lenovo support about this matter since we are on their premium business support. i can tell you in the end there is nothing they suggested that seems to solve anything. their final suggestion is to reimage the machines and run the hardware diagnostic to ensure there is nothing wrong. i have yet to run the hardware diagnostic. they actually said, if its a software issue there is nothing they can do about it.

Options

76 Posts

03-31-2021

Poland

71 Signins

540 Page Views

• Views: 540
  • Message 75 of 76

2021-08-12, 17:16 PM

@alfonsojohan  

Bulls**it. The problem is the same as with T14s Gen1 and X1 Carbon Gen9. Why they can't just apply same solution to all machines? Why they can't just admit that?

Options

39 Posts

05-31-2021

United States of America

55 Signins

605 Page Views

• Views: 605
  • Message 76 of 76

2021-08-12, 20:45 PM

@ alfonsojohan wrote:

i actually enganged with lenovo support about this matter since we are on their premium business support. i can tell you in the end there is nothing they suggested that seems to solve anything. their final suggestion is to reimage the machines and run the hardware diagnostic to ensure there is nothing wrong. i have yet to run the hardware diagnostic. they actually said, if its a software issue there is nothing they can do about it.

I actually think this is the most honest answer we've had. IME Lenovo does have great support for dealing with individual machine defects. They were super quick to arrange a hardware exchange for me when I reported my issues, and it went very smoothly (it just didn't fix the problem). And at least in my experience the hardware engineering seems to be of high quality.

But a laptop is more than hardware, and software keeps evolving, so it's not enough to build it once and ship it. You would expect there to be a well managed ticketing system, which allows vertical integration between sales, support and engineering teams; clear information channels, so eng know the top issues to focus on, and support knows when updates are expected. And which provides some level of transparency and accountability to customers (at least commercial ones!), so they can trust in Lenovo where it matters.

In reality, that part of Lenovo's business appears to be disorganized, one team doesn't know what the other does, and so they're unable to respond to customer needs.

So I think the statement is completely correct. The support team will suggest hardware diagnostics, hardware replacements, re-imaging the machine etc., because those are things they can do. And they know: "if it's actually a software issue, there's nothing we can do about it."

(My employer is in the lucky position to have extremely strong in-house engineering. We use Lenovo hardware, but all the software is completely custom. In any other situation I would think three times now before trusting in Lenovo systems for professional work.)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms