Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

12-02-2020

Netherlands

4 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 8

T14 Gen 1 (AMD): Trackpad and sleep issues (battery drain in standby).

2020-12-02, 17:35 PM

Dear all,

Last July I ordered a ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 (AMD) and I have been using it, without many problems, as my main computer for the past few months. However, recently I am experiencing several issues with this laptop that are seriously impacting the usability of this machine.

First, the trackpad sometimes becomes unresponsive for a few seconds. When this happens, the trackpad will no longer register any gestures or swiping movements, however the left/right mouse clicks at the bottom corners of the trackpad will still work and the trackpoint will also work. I’m not sure how long this phenomenon has been present, since I have been using a mouse most of the time and only recently started using the trackpad extensively enough to notice the issue. I have already tried reinstalling the latest trackpad drivers and even reinstalled Windows by resetting the PC, but the issues persist.

Second, whenever I put the laptop in sleep mode the fan will turn on after a few seconds and seems to continue to run indefinitely until I turn the laptop back on again, which causes the fan to rev down back to its idle state. This happens regardless of the method of putting the laptop to sleep (power button / closing lid / through windows / etc.). This issue even arises when the AC-adapter is not connected, causing the battery to run out overnight. I’m using the default power-plan in windows and have the Lenovo Vantage Software installed + Vantage Toolbar enabled. I’m not sure when this issue started, but I’m sure this did not happen during the first few months when I was using the machine. Again, a fresh Windows install did not fix the issue. I did update the BIOS quite recently, so maybe the issue was introduced on my machine with the new BIOS?  

Does anyone run into similar issues with their ThinkPads or have any potential solutions? Is this a software issue (driver / BIOS / Windows 10), or is my machine defective? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ruben

System info:

BIOS: LENOVO R1BET58W (1.27), 20/10/2020

Touchpad Driver: 19.5.19.67, 30/07/2020

Windows Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Options

25 Posts

09-25-2020

Germany

27 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:T14 Gen 1 (AMD): Trackpad and sleep issues (battery drain in standby).

2020-12-02, 18:05 PM

Hi Ruben,

I have had similar problems with the same model, sometimes the mouse is behaving erratic, yes, but only for maybe 20 sec, and that does not bother me as much.

As for the fan problem, there is a simple fix: you can, in BIOS under power settings, switch to "Linux" sleep mode (S3), and that will help. This does not seem to affect anything else in terms of thermal management, at least it is working for me and some other people as well. Good luck!

Best regards, Jens

Options

5 Posts

12-02-2020

Netherlands

4 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2020-12-02, 19:08 PM

Hey Jens,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. The S3 sleep mode seems to have eliminated the fan problem. Seems rather ironic that Linux sleep mode works better than the default Windows option, but if it works, it works.

Personally, I find the touchpad performance really frustrating and unacceptable on a laptop in this price class. The touchpad sometimes is completely unusable for half a minute. I hope I can get this last issue fixed, as I generally really like this laptop.

Kind Regards,

Ruben

Options

25 Posts

09-25-2020

Germany

27 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2020-12-02, 23:01 PM

Hi Ruben,

for the trackpad issue, I can tell you that this happens with both the trackpad and a connected mouse as well, so there seems to be an underlying problem. In my case it occurs roughly every 2-3 days or so for half a minute, which is annoying, but hardly renders the device unusable. Maybe I am too tolerant there. My guess is this will be fixed at some point and we might not even notice. Best regards, Jens

Options

5 Posts

12-02-2020

Netherlands

4 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2020-12-03, 8:36 AM

Hi Jens,

Strange to read that you are also experience issues when using a mouse. I'm almost 100% certain that on my laptop this problem only happens when using the trackpad. Makes me wonder if we're experiencing different issues. For me this problem happens at least daily (sometimes even multiple time on one day), so I hope this is something that will be patched in a later driver update.

I did see an earlier thread where users complained about the touchpad performance on the T14 ThinkPads, which makes me wonder how widespread this problem is on these new machines. It would be great if someone from Lenovo could share their input. I've included a video demonstrating the problem on my machine.

Kind Regards,

Ruben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7mYnjGQVU

Options

25 Posts

09-25-2020

Germany

27 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2020-12-04, 2:05 AM

Hi Ruben,

this looks like the exact same issue I have, much less frequently, on my machine, with both mouse and trackpad. If this is getting out of hand for you, I have read about other users replacing their trackpad for a different model, which does not seem too complicated.

Best regards, Jens

Options

19 Posts

10-24-2019

Thailand

43 Signins

430 Page Views

• Views: 430
  • Message 7 of 8

2020-12-04, 20:01 PM

Similar trackpad problem to my T490, I fixed the problem by change the trackpad to Glass Trackpad which is from X1 Extreme Gen 1 and it is working fine.

Options

10 Posts

12-06-2020

Algeria

4 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2020-12-06, 14:24 PM
Hello, can I ask if your computer has encountered this error process. I use the same laptop t14 amd as you [

video memory management internal]

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms