01-12-2021

US

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 5

T14s Gen 1 Advanced Power Config - No Options Available

2021-01-12, 21:13 PM

The T14s Gen 1 laptop I am forced to use lacks any advanced power config options, other than the "Balanced" option. I included an image of the power config options currently available on my machine.

For a person like me who uses a docking station, the inability to control what happens when I close the laptop is akin to being sold a car without any wheels.  Searches on this site, google, and elsewhere have not yielded any useful information on restoring the advanced power config options. If anyone has encountered and resolved this issue, please share your solution.

Current Power Options

Thanks in advance,

Umrk

Options

1939 Posts

08-02-2018

US

705 Signins

10736 Page Views

• Views: 10736
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:T14s Gen 1 Advanced Power Config - No Options Available

2021-01-13, 17:38 PM

Hi Umrk!

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums.

Where you able to access before the action taken when the lid is closed? Could you provide the Windows 10 OS version you are currently running?

Could you try these steps:
1. Open the command prompt just by typing 'cmd', right-click on the command prompt then choose run as admin
2. Once the command prompt is open, type:
powercfg -attributes SUB_BUTTONS 5ca83367-6e45-459f-a27b-476b1d01c936 -ATTRIB_HIDE   then hit Enter. 
3. Restart the computer and check if the option is available.

Let us know how it goes. 

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

21 Posts

10-08-2020

US

18 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-01-15, 17:42 PM

Microsoft has moved to a new method of power manager that was added in 1703 and I believe forced in 2004 or 20H2.  Reference (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/desktop/customize-power-slider).  It's actually really crazy where in the registry there's a main schema and another schema that overrides or adds settings.

For any system that supports the "Power Slider" you might only see the balanced power plan and changes are made using the "Power Slider" by clicking the Windows battery icon.  This article goes into more detail https://www.digitalcitizen.life/windows-10-power-slider-save-battery-increase-performance/.. If you are on a new version of Windows 10 Microsoft disabled a registry key that restored the old power plans (csenabled).

P.S. I don't know if this bug was fixed but on my T14 AMD  when the Power Slider was set to "Better Performance"  it outperformed  "Best Performance" because the highest setting pointed to a power schema that didn't exist. Again may have been fixed.

TLDR - The battery icon slider is the new way to adjust the power settings.

Options

32 Posts

09-07-2012

US

28 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-01-15, 21:09 PM

Came here for the same issue... 

Brand new T14S (AMD).  It has super strange power related behavior, where in it actually shuts itself off while its sleeping.  I've never (ever) had any issues with Thinkpads, Windows and things like sleeping or power plans....  until now

It seems that under the new mutilated power plan, sleep isn't actually sleep anymore.  I basically shut my laptop, and it randomly reboots while sleeping

Options

21 Posts

10-08-2020

US

18 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-01-16, 14:25 PM

The new sleep method is called "Modern Standby" and it's similar to the way cell phones sleep (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/overview-of-modern-standby-validation)

To verify run "powercfg /a" in the command prompt and you should see:

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected

For the rebooting or power off issues there's a bunch of situations that I've experienced.

- The computer is sleeping and you hit the power button to wake it BUT the power button is set to turn the computer off when pressed

- The computer is sleeping and Windows Update reboots Windows after installing updates

- The laptop is sleeping and the battery goes down enough to trigger hibernate, if set (advanced power settings)

- The laptop is sleeping and the battery charge is reduced enough to trigger a shutdown, if set (advanced power settings)

- Scheduled tasks constantly wake the laptop up to perform some task then the laptop goes back to sleep when the sleep timeout is reached. Repeating this drains the battery slowly over hours

- The laptop is sleeping  AND no options are set how to handle either the low level battery level or critical level causing the battery to cut power when it's basically 0% (but not really since it's a total drain protection)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms