Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

01-17-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 86

T15 Gen 1 Trackpoint freezes

2021-01-17, 19:51 PM

I purchased a new T15 in November, and in the first day of use it developed a problem  in which the Trackpoint stopped working.  It would work for 1 - 3 days, then just freeze.  The touchpad has continued to work.  The trackpoint will resume working if I restart the computer.  I one case I used the touchpad for 2 days, and the trackpoint spontaneously started working again 2 days later.  I called customer service, and they identified this as a hardware issue and offered to replace my computer because it was under 1 month old.  After delays in shipping, I received the new T15 and turned it on yesterday.  This afternoon, the 1-day old computer developed the same problem. 

The freezes occur when I am doing routine tasks - writing an email, editing a spreadsheet, etc.  Often I only have 1 or 2 applications on.  For both computers I had installed all required and recommended updates, and updated bios.  The only new programs I installed were Chrome and ESET antivirus. 

The only reason I buy Thinkpads is because I have been loyal to the Trackpoint for years, so it is important for me to get this fixed.    

Options

5542 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28234 Page Views

• Views: 28234
  • Message 2 of 86

Re:T15 Gen 1 Trackpoint freezes

2021-01-17, 20:30 PM

Hi 2wksnotice!

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums.

Does it freeze on a particular window or randomly? 

1. Try running a system file checker to fix possible corrupted system files: Open the command prompt and run it as administrator. In the black Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow  and press Enter. Restart the computer once it's done.

2. Install the storage firmware and driver here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t15-type-20s6-20s7/20s6/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Storage

If the issue is the same, try running a thorough hardware test on your machine using the Lenovo Diagnostic Solutions: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkvantage_en/ldiag_4.37.0_windows_x64.exe  and send to us the result code.

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

7 Posts

01-17-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 3 of 86

2021-01-17, 22:53 PM

Hello Jwes_Lenovo,

In answer to your question: the freezing seems to be random.  This time (new computer) I was moving files in file explorer.  Last time (6 week old computer) I was entering data in an Excel chart.  Other times I've been in email and Word.  

In answer to your suggestions

1.  The system file checker didn't find anything.  When I restarted at the last part of that step, the Trackpoint started working again.  (It always unfreezes with a restart.)  If it follows the same pattern as the prior computer, the track point will work for 1 - 3 days and then freeze.  (Once it went 5 days.)  So it's hard to say definitively if anything has changed yet.  

2.  I installed the storage firmware and driver

3.  I ran a complete hardware test as you suggested.  Final result code is: 

W3673P1HARXP-JS5VU5

Thank you for your help

Options

7 Posts

01-17-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 4 of 86

2021-01-21, 20:52 PM

Hello Jwes_Lenovo,

It's 3 days later and the trackpoint just froze again.  So the problem is still ongoing.  This time I was using Chrome, I went to click on an email in Gmail and it froze.

This is about consistent for how often it happens (typically once every 1-3 days).  Now the trackpoint won't start working again until I restart the computer.  (Although I once I just activated the touchpad and used that a couple days and the trackpoint turned itself back on 2 days later.)

Thank you

2wksnotice

Options

4 Posts

02-01-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 86

2021-02-01, 1:34 AM

I have a new T-15 and have had a problem with the TrackPoint freezing from day one.  After trying all of the new drivers and other fixes, I have concluded that the machine is either defective of the folks at Synaptics dropped the ball.   As a work around, I have disabled the Touch Pad and uninstalled the driver.  This makes the Touch Pad inoperable, but the pointer now works fine. 

This is really a dumb mistake by Lenovo and their vendors.  Lenovo should consider recalling this machine.

RC Whalen

www.rcwhalen.com

Options

4 Posts

02-01-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 6 of 86

2021-02-01, 2:15 AM

Lenovo has a problem with the Synatics TrackPoint.  Hope they fix it soon. 

Options

5542 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28234 Page Views

• Message 7 of 86

2021-02-02, 20:32 PM

Can't seem to find any result on the code. Was there an error on the result code? Try running a hardware scan from the Lenovo Vantage app instead. If there are no hardware failures detected, try a system restore wherein you set back to a date wherein the computer is working fine.

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

04-19-2020

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 8 of 86

2021-02-10, 18:29 PM

I bought a new T15 one week ago and have the same problem. After reboot the trackpoint works fine, but will freeze some hours later. I installed different drivers with no result and run tests with Lenovo Vantage also with no result.

Options

23 Posts

02-28-2021

United States of America

20 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 9 of 86

2021-02-28, 16:41 PM

I have had the same problem since about a week after I got my T15 in mid-December 2020. Been searching for a thread regarding this particular machine and this is the first to address this trackpoint issue. My symptoms are exactly the same: random trackpoint freeze, no errors found in Vantage hardware scan, drivers updated, nothing works to fix it. I've been a Thinkpad user since the early 2000s and my X61 still works great, better than this T15, in fact. We all pay a premium for Thinkpads because of their reputation for reliability, Lenovo needs to correct this issue immediately to get back to that reliability. 

Phil Forrest

Options

5542 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28234 Page Views

• Message 10 of 86

2021-03-01, 21:59 PM

Try running the update from the Lenovo Vantage app and install all detected updates. Check for pending Windows updates as well. The T15 is compatible to run the latest Windows 10 20H2 version: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht511260

Jwes_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms