Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-31-2021

Germany

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 10

T15g g2 - 60°C CPU idle temperature and fans spinning continuously (Debian)

2021-07-31, 20:15 PM

Hello there,

recently I acquired a second generation T15g. I've waited for this model because of the newer CPU which I have hoped would have better thermals but alas I was a bit disappointed because the machine idles at 60°C. This would be okayish if it were not for the fact that the fans are running quite noticeably at 2500 to 3000 RPM (the dGPU is at 50°C which seems more reasonable to me).

I am running GNU/Linux Debian 11 (currently testing in hard freeze) so I'm not sure whether it is related to that. I want to reinstall Windows 10 to test whether this issue persists.

Now I wanted to ask whether this is expected behaviour, which would be unfortunate, or whether there is a problem with my machine or choice of OS or combination thereof. If it's the latter what could I do to rectify the problem?

Cheers

Options

16 Posts

07-15-2021

Russian Federation

23 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:T15g g2 - 60°C CPU idle temperature and fans spinning continuously (Debian)

2021-08-01, 12:05 PM

@ segvaulted wrote:

Hello there,

recently I acquired a second generation T15g. I've waited for this model because of the newer CPU which I have hoped would have better thermals but alas I was a bit disappointed because the machine idles at 60°C. This would be okayish if it were not for the fact that the fans are running quite noticeably at 2500 to 3000 RPM (the dGPU is at 50°C which seems more reasonable to me).

I've recently upgraded from T450 (i5 5300u) to T15 Gen2 I7 1165G7 for the reasons of performance.

I had to use T450 for 3 last years using "high peformance" plan in windows as there were noticeable lags otherwise.

for some reason, even despite "high performance" plan, the fan is mostly idle and the laptop is silent even with lots of browsing, and only stars on youtube videos.

T15 G2 comes with only 1 balanced plan with 3 settings: low, better performance and high performance.

the laptop is quiet only using the lowest setting; 

with better peformance the fan starts instantly and is noticeable; high performance is very loud.

in idle mode CPU temperature now (ambient 25C) is around 34-36C.

with high load temps easily reach 90...103C.

I still cannot get used to the heat and noise of the new laptop, it's rather disappointing.

I plan to re-paste it this week using more efficient thermal paste as (fortunately) the fan is easily removed.

Also I believe my laptop (and perhaps yours) needs an active cooling stand, as it has an uncomfortably hot spot on the bottow where the SSD is. It gets so hot that I wouldn't be able to have it on my laps without a pillow or something. 

What is your config, which CPU do you have?

Options

3 Posts

07-31-2021

Germany

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2021-08-01, 12:35 PM

Interesting, so this affects several of the newer models. Thank you for the info.

My ThinkPad has a i7-11800H, a RTX 3070 Max-Q and 16GB RAM. But 35°C idle temperature seems a lot better than 60°C.

Options

16 Posts

07-15-2021

Russian Federation

23 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-08-01, 13:12 PM

@ segvaulted wrote:

Interesting, so this affects several of the newer models. Thank you for the info.

My ThinkPad has a i7-11800H, a RTX 3070 Max-Q and 16GB RAM. But 35°C idle temperature seems a lot better than 60°C.

Well, your machine has the CPU with higher TDP AND a discrete video (additional source of heat), but still I guess 60C during idle is not normal. Perhaps it's a power management driver issue. If you disable RTX does the temperatures lower down?

Options

3 Posts

07-31-2021

Germany

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-08-01, 20:32 PM

I will try to disable the discrete video card. The thing is that thermald is still not working, despite it being the newest version. I hope that once I get it working it will help but so far no luck.

Options

7 Posts

06-17-2021

Germany

7 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 6 of 10

2021-08-06, 12:22 PM

@ Sea Breeze wrote:

I've recently upgraded from T450 (i5 5300u) to T15 Gen2 I7 1165G7 for the reasons of performance.

I had to use T450 for 3 last years using "high peformance" plan in windows as there were noticeable lags otherwise.

for some reason, even despite "high performance" plan, the fan is mostly idle and the laptop is silent even with lots of browsing, and only stars on youtube videos.

T15 G2 comes with only 1 balanced plan with 3 settings: low, better performance and high performance.

the laptop is quiet only using the lowest setting; 

with better peformance the fan starts instantly and is noticeable; high performance is very loud.

in idle mode CPU temperature now (ambient 25C) is around 34-36C.

with high load temps easily reach 90...103C.

I still cannot get used to the heat and noise of the new laptop, it's rather disappointing.

I plan to re-paste it this week using more efficient thermal paste as (fortunately) the fan is easily removed.

I can relate to your experience - I came from a T460p with i5-6440HQ and was always quite happy with the performance and fan noise.

Now I also have a T15 Gen2 20W4003WGE with i7-1165G7 and have exactly the same experience as you describe.

Even a re-paste and 2 mainboard replacements done by the lenovo service did not bring any improvement.

I have described my observations and solution attempts here (sorry it is in German): https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T4-T5-und-neuere-T-Serie-ThinkPad-Notebooks/Dauerhaft-lauter-L%C3%BCfter-mit-T15-Gen2-40W4/m-p/5092357

I am really disappointed by this fan control for a notebook in this price range.

Options

16 Posts

07-15-2021

Russian Federation

23 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-08-06, 18:37 PM

@ Thinking Patt wrote:

Even a re-paste and 2 mainboard replacements done by the lenovo service did not bring any improvement.

official re-paste makes little sense as they will do it using the same paste and according the same pattern according to the service manual.

what we should try is to re-paste using best possible alternative thermal paste and see what happens (usually it helps).

I have already bought one and will post the results shortly.

Options

7 Posts

06-17-2021

Germany

7 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 8 of 10

2021-08-09, 7:08 AM

@ Sea Breeze wrote:

official re-paste makes little sense as they will do it using the same paste and according the same pattern according to the service manual.

what we should try is to re-paste using best possible alternative thermal paste and see what happens (usually it helps).

I have already bought one and will post the results shortly.

For me, it is currently out of the question to perform a re-paste on a new device myself, but I am of course curious about your results and any findings from it.

You are right of course, the official re-paste on my T15G5 was certainly not done with the best possible paste. However, without being able to assess it properly, I had a much better impression of the thermal paste that the technician applied than of the thermal pad that was attached ex-factory.

Just like @jmuchemb described in his post, the fan control makes a very strange impression to me after the system has has exceeded some temp. The temperatures on the CPU and GPU do decrease quickly after CPU load drops, but the fan only slows down after unrealistically long idle periods. So I don't have the "60°C CPU idle temperature" originally mentioned here by @segvaulted with his T15g G2 (Debian) with my T15 G2 (WIN10) - On my device, the CPU temperature quickly drops below 45°C when idle.

I already had the suspicion that constantly high fan speed is due to another component, which heats up accordingly under load and which is not cooled via the heat pipe - that would also fit the hot spot you observed on the bottom. At least via the temperature sensors that I see HWInfo, I can't confirm that yet.

Options

1 Posts

11-10-2021

Germany

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 9 of 10

2021-11-10, 8:52 AM

Hello everbody,

I have the same problem. Did you tried the re-paste? Does it change anything?

Options

1 Posts

11-10-2021

Germany

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 10

2021-11-10, 10:28 AM

No, I didn't repaste. I got a cooling pad, though and the ambient temperature has also gone down, since it's Autumn here.

It's gotten a lot better now. If the machine is truly idling the temperature of the CPU goes below 40˚C and the GPU also hangs aroung 35˚C. The fan even goes off, after some time. That is not always the case, though. Apart from that the temperatures stays below 45˚C for both the CPU and the GPU so I don't worry too much about it, anymore. Without the cooling pad the temperatures tend towards and above 50˚C.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms