AE

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

T400 OS recommendation

2020-10-21, 9:42 AM

Hey Guys,

so i bought an used T400 a few days ago, a laptop I used in the past and wanted to get again. Windows 10 was preinstalled, but its kinda... laggy sometimes. pretty okay when using all the programs mostly, but the os ist just not as snappy. I think maybe its to much for it to handle?

Are there any recommenations you guys have for me? maybe downgrade to Windows 8, 7, or something different as linux?

10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254
Options

1288 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

149 Signins

6941 Page Views

• Views: 6941
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:T400 OS recommendation

2020-10-21, 10:12 AM

Hello hilksbles73,

As the ThinkPad T400 was released around 2008 , it came with one of these Operating Systems:

Software

Operating system

• Windows XP Professional
  • Windows Vista Starter Edition
  • Windows Vista Home Basic
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Windows Vista Business
  • Windows Vista Ultimate
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Ultimate

Linux is a option as well, though you might run into some driver compatibility issues, these could be quite fixable as the device is as old as it is, and proper fledged out Linux drivers might be available for it somewhere on the web.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

3404 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12389 Signins

178555 Page Views

• Views: 178555
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:T400 OS recommendation

2020-10-21, 12:22 PM

@ hilksbles73 wrote:

Hey Guys,

so i bought an used T400 a few days ago, a laptop I used in the past and wanted to get again. Windows 10 was preinstalled, but its kinda... laggy sometimes. pretty okay when using all the programs mostly, but the os ist just not as snappy. I think maybe its to much for it to handle?

Are there any recommenations you guys have for me? maybe downgrade to Windows 8, 7, or something different as linux?

Welcome to the forum.

As Voithos says, Linux is an option. There are many distributions so look for something that's "light." 

The T400 is now a decade or so old so it's doubtful you'll be able to make it "snappy" running any of today's OS and applications software. 

I would avoid old versions of Windows because they're no longer getting updates, especially security updates.

However, perhaps the OS isn't the primary issue. I would also look at increasing RAM if you don't have at least 4GB. (The maximum is 8GB.) And if you have a HDD I'd look at replacing it with an SSD. Both of these upgrades will improve the T400's performance no matter what OS it runs. They may even make Windows 10 useable if not snappy.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete