Sofia

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1 of 3

T400 Problems

2008-09-22, 19:23 PM

Hello,

I've had R-series and T-series as my office computers and I am a big fan. I have a few questions about the new T400 I recently purchased for personal use. I ordered a model that can be supplied with Windows XP (after I was terrified by the new Vista-operated computers in the office).

1. I ordered the RAM to be upgraded to 4 GB and after I went to receive the machine I noticed that the OS only recognizes 3 GB RAM. The dealer told me that XP and 32-bit Vista only recognize 3 GB RAM when there are 4 GB RAM. Is that true? Is there anything that can be done?

2.  Now there is a strange bug: the laptop stops responding to mouse clicks and keyboard buttons entry EXEPT windows-button combinations and Ctrl+Alt+Del (but there is no sense in opening the task manager as I cannot select any process to stop as there is no response to mouse clicks). I cannot even restart it! Have you had this bug before? Until now I could not imagine that a T-series could go wrong!

3. I was trying to restore my system to the initial installation. It is the first time I've ever had a problem with an IBM laptop (for almost 10 years) and I have never tried this before. It asked me for a backup copy that I had made. Since I had not made a backup copy and I could not locate any other backup copy, can anyone tell me how I can restore the previous state of the OS?

4. https://expertslive.lenovo.com/home does not work. Is it a temporaty or local problem?

Thank you in advance!

Solved! See the solution
Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

SK

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T400 Problems

2008-09-22, 20:21 PM

sekerov, welcome to the forum,

re.1. Correct, 32bit Windows systems can only recognise 3 GB. See here, especially the Deeper Explanation.

re.2. Strange, if it still occurs after 3. let the forum know, or call service.

re.3. I've been recovering ThinkPads for years and do not like the "new look" which the new R&R GUI has. There is, bottom left I think, the option to choose the advanced menu - choose it. You can then select to recover the system and further a factory recovery.

re.4. I believe this option is only available in the USA. I'm afraid your stuck with us :smileywink:

Hope this helps.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

09-22-2008

Sofia

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T400 Problems

2008-09-23, 18:13 PM

Thank you, andyP!

Your answer (including the review of the 3GB barrier you posted a link to) was very helpful.

I have not been getting the bug (item 2.) today, but if it happens again, I will call support and let the forum know.

Thank you once again for answering so promptly and thoroughly! Your have rendered the https://expertslive.lenovo.com/home useless.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete