Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

02-28-2009

Portland Oregon

11 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 5

T400, SSD and AHCI in Windows XP Pro - Need some help...

2009-02-28, 3:21 AM

After buying my T400 a few months ago with a standard drive in it I just took the plunge and got an SSD for it after reading LOTS of information and reviews on them. More often than not I found people saying AHCI needed to be disabled and/or set to "compatible" in the BIOS for SSD's. The SSD I have though, the Intel X25-M, specifically says in it's FAQ on Intel's site that AHCI needs to be enabled. What I've discovered through a few reloads is well, mixed at best:

Fresh install of Windows XP from the Windows XP Pro w/ SP3 CD (retail, not Lenovo version) with AHCI enabled, BLUE SCREEN once it trys to load the drive controller before it gets to actually installing over course. And yes, I hit F6 and loaded the driver from floppy, it ID's it correctly, installs it then proceeds to load other standard IDE/SCSI drivers then accesses the floppy again and blue screens; tried it twice, same thing both times.

Fresh install of Windows XP from the Windows XP Pro w/ SP3 CD with AHCI disabled/set to compatible...Installs, works fine (using it that way now).

Fresh install of OS, Apps & Drivers (Windows XP w/ SP2 and other factory software) from the Lenovo factory restore disk's works fine with or without AHCI enabled.

Now, obviously a "factory restore" works, here's the problem...When using the Lenovo factory restore, the system is quick, but not even remotely as fast as when I loaded it from a standard windows xp pro w/ sp3 disk with AHCI disabled (set to compatible) and SPEED is the ENTIRE reason I'm moving to SSD. Of course if I try to switch AHCI setting with OS installed it won't boot, just blue screens whether I'm trying to use AHCI or set to compatible, either one --> blue screen (which I understand to be normal).

So...Anyone think of why I cannot install from a straight windows XP pro cd (no lenovo software) with AHCI enabled without getting a blue screen yet the lenovo factory load works fine?

Also, anyone have links, references etc to something showing if one works better than the other for SSD's? I know OCZ specifically says disable AHCI, but Intel says specifically to enable it...not sure which is better choice.

Any and ALL responses GREATLY appreciated, thanks!

Options

19 Posts

11-08-2008

Woodhaven, NY

18 Signins

207 Page Views

• Views: 207
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: T400, SSD and AHCI in Windows XP Pro - Need some help...

2009-06-15, 20:24 PM

Im having similar problems with my T400.  I installed a P256 (corsair), and it works fine in AHCI Mode.  One thing, when starting up from a shut down, it wont get past the Post.  It loops over and over again.  I found the only way to get over that is to goto BIOS on startup, and exit, then the system recognizes the drive, and im on my way...

I tried your suggestion and reloaded my factory disks in Compatibility Mode, but then the drive loses so much speed, its ridiculous.  I reinstalled factory image in AHCI Mode, and decided to live with the Bios "hiccup"

I also noticed the drive not being recognized when I wake up from Sleep mode - I get a few beeps, and Nothing.

Corsair says that the Drive should work in AHCI Mode, and that they will check into the problem as well.

Drive works like a charm once it starts...

Options

41 Posts

01-03-2009

Boston

159 Signins

1909 Page Views

• Views: 1909
  • Message 3 of 5

2009-06-16, 9:51 AM

Hello mcdonsco,

Disable AHCI in the BIOS. Start your fresh XP install. Hit "F6" and extract drivers as you did before. When your install of XP is done, copy  the SATA drivers from your floppy to a folder on the desktop.

Now go to the Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers you should see something like : Intel Intel ICH9R Serial ATA Storage Controller.
Right-Click on that and select Update Driver
Say no to connecting to Windows Update to search, hit Next
Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), hit Next
Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install", hit Next
Select Have Disk
Browse to the Driver folder and highlight the iastor.inf file, hit Open Select OK
Now you should have a list of controllers ICH9R /AHCI driver
You'll get warned that installing the device driver is not recommended, click Yes to continue installing
Click Finish
Click Yes to restart your computer
Before system boots, go into the BIOS and enable AHCI.
Reboot....

After you log into Windows, your computer will find the "new" hardware. Wait until you get the popup message to restart your computer, say Yes to restart one last time.
Message Edited by Stealth on 06-16-2009 05:55 AM
Options

453 Posts

12-26-2008

Sweden

14704 Signins

67019 Page Views

• Views: 67019
  • Message 4 of 5

2009-06-16, 11:27 AM

When you do a clean install you need to follow the Lenovo clean install instructions for T400/500 even if you choose not to install all the software listed there.

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Options

1 Posts

07-19-2010

The Netherlands

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 5 of 5

2010-07-19, 22:29 PM

Hi there,

I had the same problem.

Download the AHCI driver and press F6 in the Windows XP setup after enable the AHCI in the BIOS.

Select the "Intel 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller" in the list of drivers on the floppy and it will work.

Regards,

Wilco.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms