Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9366 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78100 Signins

2244255 Page Views

• Views: 2244255
  • Message 1 of 12

T400 Vista vs Access Connections

2008-10-24, 22:37 PM

(I hope this doesn't show up twice.  My first try failed with an undecipherable server error)

Basically, wifi is unusable on my new T400 when running Vista Ultimate or Vista Business 64.  If I run XP it works just fine.  All 3 are stock Lenovo OEM installs from factory media.

My home wifi router is sitting close to the laptop.  W/Vista, I can usually see it via "find" but usually can't connect.  Occasionally after rebooting I can.  Sometimes I can't even see it in find.  W/XP on this T400, or with XP on my T61, it works as expected.

I suspect confiicts between Vista wifi management and Access Connections.  With XP, one could solve this by unchecking the "let windows manage..." box in wifi properties.  There doesn't seem to be such an option in Vista.   I have tried disabling the windows "Zero Configuration" service (WLAN Autoconfig after SP1) but that doesn't help.  Without that service, AC can't even turn on the radio.  Worse (!) I can't turn the radio on manually via Fx-F5 either.  Bluetooth yes, wifi no.

It looks like AC actually uses some/all of the WLAN Autoconfig function.

One thing I haven't tried yet is uninstalling AC and just using the Vista wifi management.  Even if that works, it gives up a lot in terms of profile management.

I welcome any suggestions.  As it stands, this shiny new T400 is unusable.   It's a nice little machine, but this isn't the first of the frustrations....

Thanks,

Z

Message Edited by zoltanthegypsy on 10-24-2008 03:38 PM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

4 Posts

10-24-2008

Bergen, Norway

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: T400 Vista vs Access Connections

2008-10-24, 23:29 PM

Did you install all Lenovo servicepacks? Those helped me a bit but I still have the same problem.

I noticed that if I have bluetooth activated at the same time as wlan I didn't find my wlan at home.

I'm giving them 1 more week, else I am returning this PC.

Øyvind

Options

9366 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78100 Signins

2244255 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2008-10-24, 23:59 PM

This thing is fully updated, both Windows and Lenovo.  At least via the update tool.  I haven't searched the matrix for newer drivers/apps.

Unfortunately, I'm past the return deadline.  At least the sales person escalated me to someone who gave me Vista 64 to try.  I could probably force the issue, but I would much rather they just fix this stuff.  It worked so nicely in XP!

I would stick with XP, but the other frustration is that switchable graphics don't work in XP, and Vista Ultimate is such an insane memory hog that there's nothing left for my virtual machines.  Getting Vista 64 to behave is kind of my last hope...

Later,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

9366 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78100 Signins

2244255 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2008-10-25, 17:48 PM

Adding to the whine...

W/services and drivers all in the as-delivered configuration (but updated):

After rebooting w/a wifi profile selected it came up connected and worked long enough

to download a massive Nero update.

At some point during the day it lost the association.

Now, the radio LED is ON, the intel tools and Fn-F5 thinks the radio is OFF, clicking "turn on" doesn't do anything except hang the application for a while.  GRRRRR!  This is ridiculous!

I see later Intel drivers and tools for the 5300 on Intel's site (unfortunately they don't list bug fixes that I can see) but they recommend getting drives via Lenovo.

Anybody tried updating from Intel's driver set?

I'm about to heave this thing through the window :(

Z.

Options

4 Posts

10-24-2008

Bergen, Norway

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 5 of 12

2008-10-26, 1:22 AM

I edited my profile in connection manager and set static ip addresses, it seem to help.

Options

9366 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78100 Signins

2244255 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2008-11-07, 23:12 PM

Unfortunately, I need to use this thing on the road as well as at home, so a fixed IP address isn't an option since I won't know what subnet(s) will be in use.  I experienced the same problems last weekend at two hotels and in the Denver airport, so it isn't my router.

I have done quite a bit more experimentation with this problem, without any resolution.  I do notice that when it fails Vista thinks it is connected, but only locally.  It has assigned a 169... address which I take to mean that DHCP has failed.  Trying a command: ipconfig /renew fails with an error.

If I let  it fail, then reboot, it usually will succeed as long as I try to connect to the same access point that failed before the reboot.

I tried uninstalling Access Connections, but Vista has the same problem(s) when it is doing the management!  Failed connections, local only connections, and often success after a reboot.  One interesting and nasty difference is that when using the Windows management w/out Access Connections, wired connections will also fail in the same way!

I see many, many people on the web who are having similar problems.   Some of the threads go back more than a year with no resolution.

I have gone around and around with IBM/Lenovo support.  They have escalated the problem to a series of lead techs who never return phone calls.  Very disappointing, since the first tier techs are quite friendly and helpful - and generally return calls.

My next step is to go back to the nice man who handles escalations from the sales side, and ask him where to send this piece of junk.   It boggles my mind that Microsoft and Lenovo will put this kind of half-baked crap in the marketplace, and then do nothing to get it working.

Z.

Options

19 Posts

11-08-2008

Woodhaven, NY

18 Signins

207 Page Views

• Views: 207
  • Message 7 of 12

2008-11-08, 16:45 PM

I just finished upgrading my T400 (7417-TRU) with Vista Ultimate 64Bit.  I did a Clean install with an System Builder's Version of it.  I then Downloaded System Updater from Lenovo, and installed apps from c:\SWTools folder in original installation.  I now have a perfectly running T400 with all components running flawlessly.

I also upgraded the ram to 8GB (only 64-bit OS's will read them) - This Thinkpad is a porsche now...

http://crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=36B358E0A5CA7304 - Where I got the ram, in case youre interested.

Hope this helps.

Options

9366 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78100 Signins

2244255 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2008-11-08, 16:53 PM

Interesting.  Have you had occasion to test wifi w/more than one access point?

I've got 4G of RAM and a 320G 7200 RPM drive in my T400 and Vista 64 seems to perform pretty well with this setup.

I'm happy enough with the performance and battery run time (7-8 hours), but the totally unstable network management is a real show-stopper for me.

Your experience w/network management? I suppose that there's a chance that some obscure Lenovo service is interfering with it.  If your clean install works well for you I'll dig further.

Thanks,

Z.

Options

19 Posts

11-08-2008

Woodhaven, NY

18 Signins

207 Page Views

• Views: 207
  • Message 9 of 12

2008-11-08, 18:18 PM

I Have 17 access points programmed into my T400 - I get around...lol

All work perfectly.

Options

4 Posts

11-11-2008

Australia

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 10 of 12

2008-11-13, 4:54 AM

i got same problem.....

and it  frustrated me every time when i need to reboot for a wifi connection...even i was playing warcraft........**bleep**!!!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)