Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

10-07-2008

Charlottesville, VA

11 Signins

129 Page Views

• Views: 129
  • Message 11 of 14

Re: T400 XP Install - PCI Device Mystery

2008-10-08, 16:54 PM

Yeah I installed the AMT drivers.  Thanks for the heads up.

Here is a recent development,  when I switch from AHCI to compatibility in BIOS the problem dissapears.  Should I always be in compatibility mode?  I am relatively new to computer tweaking so I don't know what switching this parameter actually does.  Based on the tutorial I read it mentioned switching into compatibility mode in order to install the chipset and matrix manger, and afterwards switch back to AHCI.  Whathappens if I leave it in compatibility mode?

Answer
Options

16 Posts

10-08-2008

Boston, MA

101 Signins

1149 Page Views

• Views: 1149
  • Message 12 of 14

2008-10-08, 20:58 PM

You should definitely leave it in AHCI mode.  Running in compatibility mode tells the drive to operate as if it were IDE instead of SATA and disables some of the features of having a SATA hard drive (native command queuing for example).

By the sound of it the device driver you are missing is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.  Extract that package to your system then go to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the device manager.  Right-click on the mystery PCI Device and choose update driver then point it to the folder where you extracted the IMSM.

That should do it.

Edit:  For clarification, what devices are present under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers at the moment?

Message Edited by Caf on 10-08-2008 05:00 PM

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

12 Posts

10-07-2008

Charlottesville, VA

11 Signins

129 Page Views

• Views: 129
  • Message 13 of 14

2008-10-09, 1:58 AM

wrote:

By the sound of it the device driver you are missing is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.  Extract that package to your system then go to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the device manager.  Right-click on the mystery PCI Device and choose update driver then point it to the folder where you extracted the IMSM.

That should do it.

That was it!  Thanks alot Caf and for everyone else who commented.  I am glad to be a part of this forum.  Cheers.

Options

4 Posts

11-05-2008

San Francisco, CA

8 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 14 of 14

2008-11-21, 9:11 AM

Thank you Caf (and Scumm).... I was experiencing EXACTLY the same problem, and your solution fixed it. 

I think this means that there's another, final step required for a clean CXP install.  It seems that installing the IMSM drivers with the BIOS set to in compatibility mode allows you to switch to AHCI mode, but doesn't fully install the IMSM drivers.  After switching back to AHCI mode, your fix seems to complete the install of the necessary Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers.

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)