39567 Signins

412642 Page Views

• Views: 412642
  • Message 11 of 13

Re: T400 gave a "configuration change" and won't turn on anymore

2018-03-14, 20:34 PM

I also register one vote for "dead".

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

149 Posts

06-01-2014

SG

194 Signins

2427 Page Views

• Views: 2427
  • Message 12 of 13

2018-03-15, 0:37 AM

Honestly, the only time I seen the word "configuration change" is when Intel ME is active. Even so, Intel ME should not affect the BIOS even if it's firmware is corrupt. I have that issue on my T61.

You are not using a modified or third party BIOS right?

if the configuration change occurred because you somehow left a BIOS flasher in startup and it was writing halfway, then your whole motherboard is as good as gone...

You can consider a motherboard replacement entirely at your own expense. Get a similar one on eBay. Have the FRU on hand.

Btw - how often do voltage spikes occur in your area? Is there a surge protector installed in your office/home where your unit is placed?

Would be useful if you can take your apart your unit and take some photos of your motherboard.

Consider looking out for burn marks. If you have ever smelt something burning before, let us know as well.

Either your computer ran into a BIOS bug that crashed it (somehow) or something got fried.

Most importantly, you haven't told us at which point of startup you seen the message "Press Esc for Configuration Change" - select from one of these below (the full boot sequence IIRC), not all may apply to you depending on how you have set it up:

Thinkpad Bootup Logo

|

Power-On Password/Fingerprint Authentication

|

F12 Boot Selection Dialog

|

F11 Recovery Option

|

Windows Boot Manager/Linux GRUB/GRUB2

|

Windows Load Screen

|

Windows Intermediary Load Screen (starting UI - that is represented with a black screen in WIndows Vista - 7, and a spinning white circle without the Windows Logo in Windows 8 and higher. In Windows XP and below it is representor with a single blinking white cursor.

|

Starting Windows... Screen

|

Lock Screen/Ctrl-Alt-Del Dialog

|

Credential Acceptance Screen

|

Profile Loading Screen

|

Desktop - Loading Start-Up Items

|

Boot-Up Finished.

Tell us between which two processes you saw this dialog. I am with richk there is a possibility of death.

W510: i7-720QM, 16GB, DDR3 PC10600 - 1033MHz Kingston Value RAM, 1GB Quadro FX880M, 2TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (external via eSATA)

T410: i5-520M, 8GB, DDR3 PC8500 - 1066Mhz Kingston Value RAM, 512MB Geforce, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 1TB Seagate SSHD (external via eSATA)
Options

21 Posts

05-14-2009

CA

30 Signins

256 Page Views

• Views: 256
  • Message 13 of 13

2018-03-15, 4:37 AM
I have exactly the same issue on my old T500.
Turned it off yesterday, and when I turned on again later I got the same symptoms you describe. Followed the same troubleshooting too. Lights are on but nobody's home.

I'm running Ubuntu Linux though, and there's some suggestion the original 17.10 version had a problem that bricks the BIOS on some Lenovo machines. There seem to be workarounds, but as I can't get he thing to turn on, I can't do anything with it.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete