Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-24-2008

Washington

11 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 1 of 5

T400 sound issues: sporadic stuttering and crackling

2008-09-25, 7:09 AM

I recently purchased the new T400 laptop and am having some issues with sound quality.  Frequently, the speaker sound choppy and broken.  On top of this, I can hear a crackling/popping interference coming from the speakers.  I first noticed the issue while listening to music over my wireless connection.  I have tried listening through the headphones port and the problem persists.  Restarting the computer usually fixes the problem temporarily, so did opening a song in i-tunes and playing it for 10 seconds until the audio corrected itself.  Since then, I have noticed that the problematic sound quality is not confined to music over the Internet, with similar effects occurring in i-tunes and during the windows start-up and shutdown music theme.  In addition, I have had my computer lose all audio capabilities twice until the computer was restarted; the mute was not on, the volume was all the way up, and all of the volume controls were balanced.

Is this a harware or software problem and how do I go about troubleshooting my computer?  I read the Lenovo troubleshooting page for audio issues, but since my computer is brand new, I didn't know if it was nessisary to try and intall the latest drivers and BIOs?  

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22147 Signins

317295 Page Views

• Views: 317295
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: T400 sound issues: sporadic stuttering and crackling

2008-09-25, 8:05 AM

Hello,

first thing to do is burning recovery dvd´s, you´ll need 3-4 dvd´s.

Then save your C:\SWTools folder, there are all needed drivers in it, especially gfx drivers are important.

Then I would mention to install new audio drivers with System Update, see if it fixes crackling.

If not, then try a Linux Live Cd, boot with it to check, if it´s a Vista (software) or hardware problem.

The last thing, if Linux has shown no problems, is to install Vista from your recovery dvd´s.

Cheers

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

10 Posts

10-17-2008

Cincinnati, OH

46 Signins

358 Page Views

• Views: 358
  • Message 3 of 5

2008-10-17, 2:37 AM
Any updates to this? I'm having the same problem...
Options

10 Posts

10-17-2008

Cincinnati, OH

46 Signins

358 Page Views

• Views: 358
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-10-30, 23:14 PM

It looks like the T400 just has a very low performance sound card.  I had the motherboard replaced and it's still having the same issue.

Options

1 Posts

11-11-2008

San Diego

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 5

2008-11-11, 18:14 PM
For what it's worth, I am having a lot fewer problems with my sound after installing iTunes... I am pretty sure it hasn't crackled once playing a song (foobar2000 did very frequently). And even though it flies in the face of rationality, it seems like things outside of iTunes are better too, like the start up and shut down noises. Maybe that is just coincidence.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms