Options

3 Posts

12-03-2013

Hampshire, England, United Kingdom

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 3

T400 with SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Error 2100 on Cold Boot but fine on warm boot (ctrl-alt-del)

2013-12-03, 14:33 PM

This seems to be a widespread issue with various Thinkpads and various SSDs but I have yet to find a solution that works for me.

I have a T400 with the latest BIOS (3.24 2012-10-17) and a SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD with the latest firmware.

Since installing the SSD the system ALWAYS gives immediate Error 2100 on a cold boot and ALWAYS boots perfectly into Windows from a warm boot, e.g. a ctrl-alt-del from the error screen or a restart from Windows.

I have tried everything that I could find on the internet to no avail.

Any suggestions as to what causes this and any way around it?

Options

8471 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77374 Signins

2200254 Page Views

• Views: 2200254
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T400 with SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Error 2100 on Cold Boot but fine on warm boot (ctrl-alt-del)

2013-12-03, 15:42 PM

Hello and welcome,

FWIW my best guess as to what causes this is timing.  Some SSD's internal controllers take longer to come to an operational state than the laptop's BIOS allows.  BIOS times out waiting on the drive and throws the error.

Warm boot works because the drive has had power long enough to complete its internal start-up.

I had a similar problem with a Crucial m4.  Fortunately it cured itself after a drive firmware update.  One interesting thing was that simply doing an update could cause the problem - until the drive had finished its internal housekeeping following the update.

This isn't much help :(  You might be able to finesse the problem by tuning off the "Quick Boot" option in the T400's BIOS.  Depending on when the drive timeout happens, this may give the SSD time to power on fully.  Booting will be a little slower.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

3 Posts

12-03-2013

Hampshire, England, United Kingdom

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T400 with SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Error 2100 on Cold Boot but fine on warm boot (ctrl-alt-del)

2013-12-03, 17:48 PM
Thanks for your reply - what you say sounds about right. I have tried switching from 'Quick Boot' to 'Diagnostic' as you suggest but unfortunately that made no difference
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete