Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-24-2010

London

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 111 of 128

Re: T400s No Sound

2010-03-24, 13:34 PM

My story: 

Bought it in February - two weaks later speakers stopped working, had them replaced by an official Lenovo repair team, new set worked for two weeks, then stopped working as well.

If I knew how to upload a photo, I would reveal the full horror to you - it got so hot in there, that it even burned the case of my laptop - big ditch right next to the Shift key on the right. 

Looking at that picture strongly suggests to me, that its a hardware fault rooted deeply in the design of the T400s. It seems to be too slim for what it wants to be. 

Cheers, 

Daniel

Options

2 Posts

04-14-2010

London, UK

25 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 112 of 128

2010-04-14, 16:04 PM

Hi everybody

My story in short: bought on Christmas.

Started using it at mid January, so far for three month of usage: three cases,

01DXD6B, B1L62PT, A1L6B7L.

Obviously guys in depot have this laptop repaired more than I use it.So I sent an e-mail, escalating the refund or part exchange, still have no answer (it was escalate on 30th March).

I'm from the UK. Could anybody from the UK share their experience how they got this nightmare model got part exchange/refund?

Any input from Lenovo staff on this case will be appreciated: 

Options

2 Posts

04-15-2010

Heidelberg, Germany

14 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 113 of 128

2010-04-15, 14:46 PM

Bought mine in December, had 5 repairs since then (3x speaker, 1x speaker and system board, then speakers again). Issue still not resolved, have been waiting for almost 2 weeks now for second level support to contact me.

This is not at all the service I expect in this price range, and if the machine is not exchanged very soon for one that will stop being a fire hazard (as the melting usually appeared while the machine was asleep or during wake up),  Lenovo will not only lose me and my company as a customer, but also they will lose their sole dealer in this town (which happens to be me). I am more than pissed off.

Options

2 Posts

08-26-2009

USA

3 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 114 of 128

2010-04-22, 1:08 AM

Let me join the crowd I am on my second t400s. the first had a crack in the case and Lenovo replaced it no problem. It came with the crack and I sent it back witihn a week.  Now shortly after I went dual boot with  Fedora the sound died and it works through the headphone jack like the othes reported here.  I wonder if it was Fedora since it seemed too run hotter with Fedora. I also updated my Bios with the 03/31 bios update so that may not be the cure. I am still on warranty but I hate to go without it while it'sbeing fixed When my last one was replaced they shipped it and I swapped out hard disks and sent the old one back which was pretty painless but I'm not sure I want to go through that.

I love my T400s I hate that this is happening? Also I worry from comments here that if I fix it may still have the same problem. I may just live with it - I don't mind headphones

Tom

Options

2 Posts

04-14-2010

London, UK

25 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 115 of 128

2010-04-28, 13:42 PM

Hey Tom

It might be a case, as I have Kubuntu in parallel with Windows 7. Now mine in the depot. Usually it took a week or two two to crack the speakers down. So I'm gonna use only Win and will see whether it's ok.

cheers

Denis.

Options

2 Posts

02-08-2010

California, USA

18 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 116 of 128

2010-04-29, 4:01 AM

Well, Lenovo replaced my speakers and motherboard two days ago.  Here's hoping there's no more melting in my future.

I am also running Linux (Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic") with Windows 7.  I just installed GKrellM to look at the CPU temperature in Linux and nothing seems out of the ordinary.  (Now if only I'd done so before the motherboard swap I'd have something to compare it to...)  Right after the motherboard replacement the computer was shutting down almost immediately from overheating, but the Lenovo technician added more thermal grease around the CPU to fix that.  But I think that was just a sideshow -- an overheated CPU is a separate issue from frying speakers.  I do get occasional thermal alerts displayed when restarting Ubuntu (this has occurred both before and after the motherboard replacement), but I have yet to figure out what's causing those.

As ks-leipzig pointed out, some of our Windows-only friends have been getting the same speaker problem: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Speakers-don-t-work-in-Lenovo-T400s-with-Vista-64-bit-headphones/m-p/154650

Tom, I didn't follow -- did you update the BIOS before or after the sound failed?  I'm afraid that if the speakers have already malfunctioned then updating the BIOS can't resuscitate them.  At best, it can only prevent the next pair of speakers from breaking.  (Although, given that Lenovo originally thought that BIOS version 1.12-1.02 would fix the problem, perhaps even that is being optimistic.)

-Daniel

Options

9 Posts

05-10-2010

nz

146 Signins

523 Page Views

• Views: 523
  • Message 117 of 128

2010-05-10, 6:43 AM

me too, with a T510.

when i took it out of the box i noticed a discolored & glossy circle on the left speaker grill. i thought someone at the factory put too much glue on the speaker grill but i wasn't concerned about it. i used external speakers for a few weeks, then tried the internal speakers which didn't work, then found this thread.

i opened up the case and BOTH speakers had melted the inside of the speaker grills. apparently my T510 left the factory with a pair of burned out speakers!

they told me that they can't send out replacement speakers and a replacement face-plate because the speakers are "not user serviceable". they want me to send it out for warranty service, but they can't tell me ahead of time if the parts will be ready or if it will be waiting indefinately for parts. they claim that the problem has been "resolved" so i won't keep sending it in for new speakers until the warranty expires, but they can't tell me if the fix is hardware (new mobo?) or firmware (new BIOS?).

as was pointed out earlier in the thread, this is not the level or quality of service that i expect at this price range. i'm typing this on a 3-year-old acer aspire that's had no problems, and i bought for $600(US) brand new. this was my first lenovo purchase, and now i'm thinking my next laptop will be a dell, dude.

edit: when i unpacked the T510, i also recall a spot on the screen just above the left speaker, the same size and shape as the mark on the grill. i was able to wipe that off with a damp towel.

Options

9 Posts

05-10-2010

nz

146 Signins

523 Page Views

• Message 118 of 128

2010-05-11, 2:51 AM

i first talked to "customer service" friday afternoon and they've acknowledged that this is a "known issue". that fact should have been mentioned on the ticket but wasn't. so now i'm trying to book it in for repair (different dept; different company?) and they're telling me that they have no information indicating that it's a known problem; now i have to get back to the person i originally talked with in "customer service" (yes, it has to be the person i talked to previously) so they can add a note to the ticket that it is a known problem, otherwise i'm told i'll get a bill for the repair.

also i'm told that there are "probably" repair centers within walking distance from me, but they can't tell me where they are; i have to arrange a courier pick-up.

and of course, no one can tell me before i put my T510 in a box and ship it to an undisclosed location, if the parts are even in stock. i'm assured that if the parts are in stock it should be four business days, but it's not clear if that's door-to-door or time at the shop. if they could just tell me where to bring it, i could find out if the parts are in stock; then drop it off mid-week, mid-day (when things are usually slow), grab lunch, and pick it up on my way home.

i'm so not impressed. this is a lesson on how not to provide service...

Options

2 Posts

04-15-2010

Heidelberg, Germany

14 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 119 of 128

2010-05-11, 10:56 AM

After 5 unsucessful on-site repairs I have sent my T400s in on May 3rd - not hoping for replacement as the support guy insisted that I send it in without battery, SSD or Power Adapter.

Haven't heard back from either Repair Center or Lenovo in over a week, so I called to inquire. Result: The repair center is waiting for me to send in battery, SSD and Power Adapter, the System says I was notified about that on May 6th.

Only: I wasn't. The Support Person responsible for the entry admitted upon request that he meant to notify me and forgot.

Result: My work laptop has spent one week at the repair center without anything happening, I have additional shipping cost for the parts that I wanted to send in right away.

I have now started listing my experiences on major tech review sites to warn people of the support nightmare that Lenovo has become.

Options

9 Posts

05-10-2010

nz

146 Signins

523 Page Views

• Message 120 of 128

2010-05-12, 4:13 AM

now "customer service" is telling me that it's NOT a known issue, and despite my extended warranty this repair will NOT be covered under the warranty. one of the tech support guys (a contractor to lenovo) actually looked up this thread and he's confident that it will be covered by the warranty, but had to read me a disclaimer that it may not be. "customer service" assures me that it will not be covered. if i send it in and it's not covered, they'll hold it for ransom... at which point i'll explain to my credit card company that the merchant (or the merchant's agent) is in possession of the defective merchandise and i want my money back.

i can't even describe how pissed off i am right now.

there is no excuse for this level of "service".

speaker grill, medium rare

left speaker; hot off the grill; medium rare. when i took it out of the box i thought they put too much glue on it... there's no glue, IT'S MELTED!! on close inspection it's not just discolored, it's deformed. The right speaker looks fine from the outside, but inside the case BOTH speaker grills are melted.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

boing's note: image rescaled to 35K and put back in post.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms