Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

05-10-2010

nz

146 Signins

523 Page Views

• Views: 523
  • Message 121 of 128

Re: T400s No Sound

2010-05-12, 11:33 AM

latest update, which should serve as a big warning to anyone considering this as a purchase.

email from "customer support" (emphasis mine):

I'm xxxxx here from Lenovo and I'm xxxxx's Team Leader.  I'm so sorry I unable to discuss with you today and I was busy in a meeting almost the whole day.
I understand that you are having problem with your machine and it is the problem with headphones work no sound from speakers , dip in speakers melted . I have check this with our technical people over and over again. This is not a known issue.

A "known problem" is not a problem that users complain about on the forum. A "known problem" is some issue that we have observed in engineering, and are either actively working to resolve, or have already provided an engineering solution.

Our service centre, IBM can repair this fault for you but it is a billable service. Please advice us if you need us to proceed.

and my response...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T400s-No-Sound/td-p/153003/highlight/false

If you follow that thread, you'll find plenty of other people with the same/similar issue on the same/similar platform. There are also links to pictures of melted speakers and grills. This is a DESIGN problem; not a user problem, and as such I expect you to cover all costs of repair.

This machine was ordered (with an extra-long warranty) in early Feb and received about a month ago. The RAM that I ordered with it still hadn't arrived at the time I discovered the speakers had melted, thus any time limit for DOA failure should not be applicable.

If this repair isn't covered under warranty, please let me how to initiate a return of this unit for full refund and I will never again purchase a Lenovo product. Frankly, I don't care whether or not this problem has been observed in engineering or if engineering is working towards a solution: The simple and indisputable fact seems to remain that this IS A DESIGN FLAW (and a design flaw which is a FIRE HAZARD) and unless you can convince me otherwise, remains your financial responsibility to repair, and keep repairing as required until either the warranty expires or engineering FIXES THE PROBLEM; either that or you can swap the machine for one of equal or greater specs and equal or greater value.

Further, according to this page:
http://www.lenovo.com/services_warranty/NZ/en/thinkpad_protection.html

It would seem that "Damage from electrical surges" (such as that which would cause speakers to melt) is a warranty repair. Nothing on that page would indicate that this repair isn't covered under warranty. It only adds to my frustration that I have to look this up and point it out to you; it should be your job to know this.

If you are incapable of authorizing this repair under warranty, or facilitating a full refund, please escalate the issue as required. In any case please keep me notified of all progress.

Since I have ordered this product in early Feb it seems that Lenovo has taken my money, wasted my time, caused me great frustration, and has yet to "deliver the goods". I will be just as happy to return this defective unit for refund and end my dealings with this failing company. If you won't stand behind your product with reasonable support, I will gladly spend my money with a supplier that does.

it's truly alarming and disturbing that they're trying to weasel out of this. among other things, it's like they're saying that they can refuse to cover any repairs under warranty if they deny that a problem is officially "known" to them... so now the warranty only covers problems that they officially acknowledge?? but if i pour coffee into the keyboard (oops!!) and the speakers melt, then it would be covered, right? whatever happens, more updates will be coming soon...

Options

1 Posts

05-22-2010

GZ, China

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 122 of 128

2010-05-22, 14:24 PM

I had this problem on W7 X64. Try this:

Press the "volume up" or "volume down" key (left side to the blue ThinkVantage key), and the sound from speaker comes back.

Pressing the "mute" key brings the problem back, and pressing it again doesn't get the sound back. But the "volume up" or "volume down" key helps.

Hope this helps.

moderator note: subject line adjusted

Options

1 Posts

11-05-2010

Mishawaka, IN

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 123 of 128

2010-11-05, 16:00 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! 
Pressing the Volume UP or DOWN button next to ThinkVantage button WORKED!!! 
My symptoms were:
T400 Win XP, internal speakers not working, audio jack works, driver seemed ok.
I verified hitting mute did bring problem back which was resolved again by hitting Volume UP or Down.

Thanks again TUCOW

Options

1 Posts

07-14-2011

Seattle

6 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 124 of 128

2011-07-14, 23:41 PM
Sure it helps, but what is the real problem? Why doesn't the mute button work and is there a real fix?
Options

3 Posts

08-05-2011

Germany

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 125 of 128

2011-09-13, 14:57 PM

Thanks a lot for your help. Now it works perfectly. The only difference on my laptop is that it works even after pressing and repressing the mute button. Perhaps the newest Bios version (1.20) fixed the described bug.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 126 of 128

2010-05-28, 0:59 AM
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 127 of 128

2010-06-24, 11:24 AM
Options

1 Posts

03-09-2015

Canada

5 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 128 of 128

2015-03-09, 3:45 AM

Hi all, I have been reading this thread for a long time while trying to fix my T400s' sound and I discovered why mine wasn't working, so I wanted to share it with everybody here who's still interested in knowing.

Background:

My T400s has no sound from the speaker or audio jack, and static from the microphone. I have installed all supported operating systems: Windows 7, 32/64 bit operating systems, Windows XP, and Vista 32/64bits and tried all avaliable Conexant sound driver versions for each of them and the sound didn't come back. I also tried upgrading the bios to the latest version and since I have no warranty coverage anymore, I took out the speakers and tested them with a multimeter to make sure that it is not blown or melted.

Result:

Finally I decided to inspect even closer so I lifted away the black film near the audio jack and I discovered that the sound card is actually fried and full of what looked like "mold", sort of what a leaking battery looks like.

Here is a picture of the "mold" as I found it, you can see that the sound card corner's pins are hidden under a layer of 'mold'.

(sorry for poor quality, that's the best I could do with my cellphone camera)

fried Conexant sound card before cleaning

Here is another picture of the sound card after I tried to gently wipe off the "mold" with isopropyl, you can see the sound card corner's connection pins are all missing.

fried Conexant sound card

Interestingly, the device is shown as working in the device manager.

Sound device is working properly

So this is why my T400s has no sound from the speaker and audio jack. (and a broken microphone.) I now use an external 24bit USB audio sound card for playing/recording sound on this Thinkpad.

Hope you all found this helpful!

Lenovos and Thinkpads owned:
X20,X21,X23,X60,X60s,X61T,T60p,T400s,T410,T410,Y470p
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms