Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

64 Posts

09-29-2009

Australia

498 Signins

2100 Page Views

• Views: 2100
  • Message 221 of 613

Re: T400s random shutdowns

2009-12-05, 0:00 AM

wrote:

wrote:

Hi UberSteve,

I can tell you what this is. I had the same thing happen to me. It happens when you connect your computer to the power supply while its asleep and then resume it. If you revert back to the original Windows 7 Intel Display drivers (version 8.15.10.1749 ), the problem goes away.

Samtoossi, Thanks. FYI. I am running 8.15.10.1892 on Win 7 and have NO shutdowns.

Hi Wesleyyin, I think Samtoossi was referring to the video corruption issue I posted o/t a few posts back, however, maybe we've just inadvertently stumbled across a fix for the shutdowns!? How long have you had 8.15.10.1892 installed and how frequent were your shutdowns previously?

-Steve

Options

51 Posts

12-04-2009

USA

108 Signins

1075 Page Views

• Views: 1075
  • Message 222 of 613

2009-12-05, 0:19 AM

Your welcome UberSteve and Wesleyyin,

I've had random shutdowns with intel drivers 1749 and 1968 btw, but I've never tried 1892. I've only had it happen twice. Today being the most recent, while scrolling through a PDF file and playing music in Itunes off of a networked drive. Someone else here said they were looking at a PDF file while their computer shut down as well.

Last time it happened was while I was asleep though...I'm clueless as to what the problem could be.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 223 of 613

2009-12-05, 4:02 AM

All,

If you are experiencing the corrupt screen image, I would suggest rolling back to an earlier revision video driver as has been suggested by others.  I believe we are looking into the current level of video driver now and have seen some of these same symptoms.

On the shutdowns, the spreadsheet has been helpful and we do have several sample systems in engineering that exhibit the symptoms on about the same intervals as are being reported here.  Because the shutdown events are not constant or predictable it is taking longer to isolate the cause.   I can assure you that there is a dedicated, focused effort to resolve this symptoms.

I apologize for not having provided any update here in some time.

JOICE,

The Y450 IdeaPad issues are likely resolved by updating to the latest BIOS version 28

The fix list for that BIOS includes:

• Fixed system auto reboot when no password is entered in HDD password prompt screen after around 30sec issue.

• Fixed probable auto shutdown issue when running system in battery mode.

Best regards,

Mark

Options

58 Posts

10-12-2008

Norway

124 Signins

676 Page Views

• Views: 676
  • Message 224 of 613

2009-12-05, 12:33 PM

It's been a great while since I created this thread, been a while since I've read or written in it as well!

Seems like things have been slipping a bit lately, because of the Intel Display driver, so that issue doesn't really have anything to do with what this thread was trying to address in the first place, nor is it really Lenovo's fault that Intel have released some **bleep**ty drivers ;)

So please take those issues in the right thread:

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T400-Weird-Video-issues/m-p/179293;jsessionid=5ECC98E5EE024FA26A3CF34DB942DED9#U179293

When it comes to this random shut down issue, I will try to describe my experience since I was in contact with Lenovo Norway and their service partner from IBM:

First of all I have to say I'm impressed with how things went, I called and described my issues and they simply order some new piece of hardware and sent this IBM technician over to me two days later to replace:

- Motherboard, housing (as my carbon fibre housing for some reason had cracked in the lower left corner? Right to the left of the left-mouse button (if you for some reason stick to the touchpad)), a new DVD-player as mine was faulty.

He replaced everything, no questions asked, no testing if it actually was something wrong, no consideration around whether or not I had cracked the housing myself?

This kind of fast service and support is in another league compared with what you get from Dell, Asus, HP, Fujitus Siemens and other brand here in Norway (and trust me, I know this as I have to deal with them all everyday)

So I was very pleased and positively surprised about how flawless and speedy things went right from the minute I decided to call the Lenovo Norway Support number!

Things didn't go as planned though, for some reason the backlight on my LED-LCD display died after replacing the motherboard, so I had to wait two days for another display (didn't bother me much, as that resolves in my dead pixel going away, hurray!). But the backlight didn't work on the new panel either? So we had to replace the motherboard a second time, then the light was back alive! Then of course the IBM technician normally would have to switch the panels back as there obviously wasn't anything wrong with my original one in the first place, but because things took one week instead of two days he let me keep the new panel! AWESOME!

So it was a bumpy ride, but the support was nothing other than awesome, must be the best customer service experience I've had ever! Keep that up Lenovo Norway!

So I finally fixed my cracked housing, no more dead pixel etc.. But what about the real issue that forced me to get it fixed in the first place? The random shut down issue?

Well, things improved A LOT! But it still occurs. Now I'm running the official Windows7 Pro 64bit I received from Lenovo, with all the latest drivers (some a bit newer than on the Lenovo support site as well) but still the random shut downs do occur? But as me and others have confirmed that this random shut down isn't software related, that wasn't really any big surprise now, was it?

So even after replace quite a bit hardware, what do we have left? The hard drive? And WiFi card?

I forgot to mention he also did something about my loose screen support!

But still the random shut down occurs? Things have improved from 2-3 times a day to 1-2 times a week! Which of course is a good thing, but it still occurs? And it's still rather annoying? Sometimes it happen when your are in the middle of something, and it might set you back several hours because your work got screwed because of the random shut down?

So despite the awesome support, I have to admit that a computer this price, for a serious business notebook this is far from good enough? So several months after discovering this critical issue, there seems to be about no progress in resolving it? Nor have it been any kind of offer to those of us that have spent lots of money on a fault computer to get some kind of replacement? What about a small fee for upgrading to the hopefully not fault T410s?

It's just bad customer treatment not doing anything about people whom have bought your top of the line ThinkPad product that obviously does not work as it should?

There seems also to be something wrong with the housing on my T400s, as it has cracked on the exact same sport as last time? Even though I've never dropped, or done anything rough to it ever? I though these ThinkPad carbon fibre housing was supposed to take a lot of stress, how come mine cracks in the very same spot for the second time, without being touched by anything other than my wrist?

I will contact Lenovo once more, and keep getting this IBM technician replacing things until things work 100%, if the issue isn't gone after his third try I will undo my purchase and get my money back as we here in Norway have laws forcing laptop manufactures to take buyback on computers they don't manage to fix after the tries.

If I start now it might be in time for replacing it with a T410s, if I dare?

Options

260 Posts

07-03-2009

United States of America

545 Signins

4675 Page Views

• Views: 4675
  • Message 225 of 613

2009-12-05, 18:28 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Hi UberSteve,

I can tell you what this is. I had the same thing happen to me. It happens when you connect your computer to the power supply while its asleep and then resume it. If you revert back to the original Windows 7 Intel Display drivers (version 8.15.10.1749 ), the problem goes away.

Samtoossi, Thanks. FYI. I am running 8.15.10.1892 on Win 7 and have NO shutdowns.

Hi Wesleyyin, I think Samtoossi was referring to the video corruption issue I posted o/t a few posts back, however, maybe we've just inadvertently stumbled across a fix for the shutdowns!? How long have you had 8.15.10.1892 installed and how frequent were your shutdowns previously?

-Steve

I have the 8.15.10.1892 version for at least 2 weeks, and my T400s (running win 7 32-bit RTM) never ever had a shutdown.

Options

51 Posts

12-04-2009

USA

108 Signins

1075 Page Views

• Message 226 of 613

2009-12-06, 21:16 PM

anyone having any luck with the random shutdowns using the new BIOS (1.11)?........UberSteve?

Options

28 Posts

09-28-2009

SoCal, USA

105 Signins

233 Page Views

• Views: 233
  • Message 227 of 613

2009-12-06, 22:21 PM

I haven't had one since the bios update but i'm not 100% sure that's the fix for it because I they some others still are having the problem?

Options

37 Posts

07-24-2009

Austin

69 Signins

784 Page Views

• Views: 784
  • Message 228 of 613

2009-12-06, 22:32 PM

I've seen the same type of video corruption twice since upgrading my intel graphics driver. In both cases, the corruption occurred after resuming from standby, and was corrected with a reboot.

Options

51 Posts

12-04-2009

USA

108 Signins

1075 Page Views

• Message 229 of 613

2009-12-07, 0:08 AM

wrote:

I haven't had one since the bios update but i'm not 100% sure that's the fix for it because I they some others still are having the problem?

Hi Sugrat,

Thats great! Whatever decreases the occurance is good IMO. I had my T400s shutdown today while I was bragging to a friend about what a good machine this is. Still like this machine though. LOL

When did you flash your BIOS btw?

Options

28 Posts

09-28-2009

SoCal, USA

105 Signins

233 Page Views

• Views: 233
  • Message 230 of 613

2009-12-07, 0:13 AM

Probably about a week and half ago and i use the unit every day for about 9 hours, on and off the dock and haven't had the power off happen yet, now that i've said that it probably will happen soon :-)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)