01-25-2010

Miami

62 Signins

262 Page Views

• Views: 262
  • Message 371 of 613

Re: T400s random shutdowns

2010-01-25, 3:13 AM

I would like to call tech support and set up a repair order for my T400s.  Can you please let us know the correct information so we can give it to the support technician?  What information is needed prior to calling for warranty service?  I don't want to call and start from scratch trying to troubleshoot even though the fix for this problem already exists.  What part is needed to be changed/fixed?  What is this problem called in lenovo support circles?  Is there a hardware revision/version number that needs to be given to the technician so the correct part is installed.

Also the installation of a new motherboard.  Will this affect the license/activation of windows?  TPM?  Bitlocker?  fingerprint/bios password?

Please advise

Bob

Options

10 Posts

01-19-2010

California

12 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 372 of 613

2010-01-25, 3:56 AM

This T400s is just not ready for prime time.  What a POS.  Had my second shutdown today.  From all the posts, this box is not worth the hassle.  I got a life besides spending my time working out Lenovo's R&D problems.

Looks like that post by Mark_lenovo was a smoke screen, since none of the Lenovo fanboys have responded/posted what to do to resolve this thru tech suppot.  My guess is when you call in, they will be unaware of the issue, and play dumb, etc.

Well.... I bought this box cheap from the MS store, but even at 900+ bucks, its not worth it.

Back it goes for a refund while I am under the 14 day return, no restocking fee, no questions asked time period.

Bummer.

Options

162 Posts

10-21-2009

Netherlands, Hilversum

732 Signins

3439 Page Views

• Views: 3439
  • Message 373 of 613

2010-01-25, 7:14 AM

I don't have this problem very frequently only had it a couple of times in the last 3 months. But it shouldn't happen, also not just a few times. So i will wait for feedback here if the new motherboard replacement really works at last before i return my laptop to Lenovo and have it repaired as well. And indees, it's very annoying that i have to be alert myself all the time to have this fixed in a proper way. I have better things to do than this as well. But if i am not in control myself i would have had my motherboard replaced by a similar problem board, being without a laptop for 2 weeks or so and still have the same problem. It sux.

Still a reference number / tag for this problem would be nice.

--

jan

--- Lenovo Thinkpad t440p (20AN-CT01WW) + SAMSUNG MZ7TD512HAGM-000L1 SSD + 16G SDRAM + 14.0FHD 1920x1080 ---
Options

10 Posts

01-19-2010

California

12 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 374 of 613

2010-01-25, 17:07 PM

LOL - I thought I'd at least call Lenovo this morning in one last attempt to keep this box.

So get this... I just got off the phone with Tech support in the US and they have no clue, zero, nada, no cases reported, no documentation, etc, on this shutdown issue.  She "was surprised" that this was occurring.

So there it is.  Figure trying to get Lenovo to fix a transient problem like this is going to be impossible.  Just like a noise in your car, and you can't show or demonstrate to the mechanic.  All he can do it change out parts and tell you to go drive it around and let him know if it happens again.

I've used 3 Thinkpads in the past, all thru work, the last being a T61.  I finally decided I wanted my own personal box to do with as I pleased.  I don't recall this shutdown issue ever.  Is this happening on other boxes or just the new and "improved", redesigned T400s?  I have to wonder if the T410, T510 and T410s will have the same issue since this new design is now the T series standard.

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2009

Florida

250 Signins

897 Page Views

• Views: 897
  • Message 375 of 613

2010-01-25, 17:25 PM

Like most first level support, they likely read from a script and/or have access to a CRM of some sort that provides them with default troubleshooting information. If this issue has just recently been resolved, I would not expect them to have a clue quite yet. First level support is generally pretty clueless to begin with. Sadly, I think you are expecting a bit much.

I would not expect them to have the info needed to help/support us, for at least a week.

Additionally, if you can name me one electronics company who puts out a high quantity level of any product, and has zero issues, well... I don't think you can.

Options

2 Posts

01-25-2010

Miami

62 Signins

262 Page Views

• Views: 262
  • Message 376 of 613

2010-01-25, 17:45 PM

But if Mark identified the problem and there is a solution then he should as least give us victims a reference or case number so when we do call tech support they can look it up and create the necessary service tickets to get these repaired

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2009

Florida

250 Signins

897 Page Views

• Views: 897
  • Message 377 of 613

2010-01-25, 17:50 PM

I'm sure that will come. Just gotta have a little patience. :smileywink:

Remember, we may be privy to some early information here, since everyone has been harping on Lenovo, and Mark, to give us info.. So perhaps the solution has just been formed, and they need some final QA/Training/Development/Production etc... to go through, before it is officially released.

Options

7 Posts

12-09-2009

Slovakia, Kosice

48 Signins

219 Page Views

• Views: 219
  • Message 378 of 613

2010-01-25, 18:43 PM
Well, good news is that there is some progress, the bad news is that NO ONE has yet confirmed that MB replacement has solved issue. Unfortunately, there are several t400s users that went for the replacement and reported back the shutdowns continue. Moreover, the MB replacemet resulted in different annoyances such as control lights malfunction, etc. Is there anybody for whom the MB replacement solved the issue?
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 379 of 613

2010-01-25, 19:08 PM

Martinhej,

I'm not sure what to make of  reports where a system board replacement  led to new symptoms other than to say that service parts can be a mix of new build parts and reworked parts.    All service parts, like new systems can have a % of out of box defects - sometimes the replacement parts have a new problem.   There are stringent tests on both new build and service parts, but no process is perfect.  Alas.

All,

Generally we release official technical tips, whether public (on our e-support site), or as "servicer only" tips that the depot, onsite, and business partners receive, after we have implemented the part number substitutions and changed over stock to a new level part.  I would expect this should be complete within a week +/-

However, the service depots should be able to do the replacement now if you are experiencing these shutdown symptoms.

Mark

Options

26 Posts

10-27-2009

Atlanta

79 Signins

349 Page Views

• Views: 349
  • Message 380 of 613

2010-01-25, 19:49 PM

Mark - With all due respect, the fact that the service depots "should be able to do the replacement" is a very different thing than a customer getting through the process to the point where Lenovo is willing to do that replacement.

Speaking personally, I am not willing to move through the standard tiers of tech support, running thru the usual "try this", "try that", sequence, move to escalation, have the same conversation several times, etc. - all with people who (per a recent poster's comment) are not even aware this is a long standing (more than six months) problem for which there is reportedly a proven fix.

We need a code or number to give the the telephone tech support rep which will take him directly to the specific resolution for THIS problem, without having the customer jump thru the endless hoops.

We need these machines fixed.   And quickly.  I understand it takes time to disseminate word thru the service system, get parts in place, etc. 

But there needs to be a quick, direct, expedient path for a customer with this problem to get to a solution. 

Lenovo has left the burden of these unreliable, non-business-worthy machines on the customer too long to now, with a solution reportedly at hand, make the customer work even harder to get a fix.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms