01-27-2010

New Caledonia

5 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 381 of 613

Re: T400s random shutdowns

2010-01-27, 18:52 PM

FWIW, I've been lurking here for a couple of months.  I'm running a T400 (2764CTO) Windows-7 64bit, all drivers updated through System Update 4.0, latest BIO, blah blah.  In the first week of ownership, the thing was randomly shutting down like crazy, so I found this forum.  Like most of us here, I've made a number of little tweaks to the software based on previous posts to see if I could affect a change, all for naught... until.... I've found a 1:1 correleation  on random shutdowns vs. no-random-shutdowns.  If I cut wifi/bluetooth off using the switch at the front, I don't experience any shutdowns (plugged into ethernet cable or working without internet access - yes, it is possible, hard as it may be to conceive).  When that switch is on, I have a random shutdown roughly 3-6 hrs.  Fortuneately, I have the ability to work for 10 hours a day in the wifi/bluetooth "off" position, and I have no problems; been that way for two months.  However, if I hit the couch and want wifi, I need to save religiously in anticipation of a shutdown.  Sux.  Can't help but wonder if the T400s fix talked about above by Mark_Lenovo will apply to my T400.  This has been really disappointing, and I'm seriously considering a Mac for the first time ever.  Wishing I would have returned it in the 14-day window while I had the chance....

Options

1 Posts

12-16-2009

NYC

9 Signins

118 Page Views

• Views: 118
  • Message 382 of 613

2010-01-28, 16:32 PM

Just my 2 cents.

Purchased in September

MS Windows 7 Ultimate ver 6.1.7600 build 7600 (Retail, formatted HD) x64

System: 2801CTO/P9600 @2.53GHz/ 4GB RAM/ BIOS 6HET24WW (1.09), 9/17/2009

I was unable to narrow down the cause of my shutdowns. Everything was random... docked/undocked, virtual on/off, wireless on/off.. yada yada yada the dreaded black screen would appear. Then the speakers stopped working! Fed up, I called Lenovo Support and they immediately sent a shipping box over to have the laptop repaired. It was returned days later with a replaced MOBO and speakers. They also "updated" the BIOS to the version stated above which is lower then the version I had been using.

I have been using the repaired laptop for a few weeks now and have been extremely happy it. The problems have not returned and the laptop is behaving as it should.

In the terms of hardware, I have an identical  T400s that is still running XP which seems to have shutdown problems also. This one may get called in also

Model: T400s 2801CTO (w/replaced mobo)
Bios: 6HET24WW (1.09) SMBios: 2.4
Memory 2GB x 2/Core2Duo P9600 @2.53GHz
Options

28 Posts

09-28-2009

SoCal, USA

105 Signins

233 Page Views

• Views: 233
  • Message 383 of 613

2010-01-28, 16:38 PM

wrote:

Mark - With all due respect, the fact that the service depots "should be able to do the replacement" is a very different thing than a customer getting through the process to the point where Lenovo is willing to do that replacement.

Speaking personally, I am not willing to move through the standard tiers of tech support, running thru the usual "try this", "try that", sequence, move to escalation, have the same conversation several times, etc. - all with people who (per a recent poster's comment) are not even aware this is a long standing (more than six months) problem for which there is reportedly a proven fix.

We need a code or number to give the the telephone tech support rep which will take him directly to the specific resolution for THIS problem, without having the customer jump thru the endless hoops.

We need these machines fixed.   And quickly.  I understand it takes time to disseminate word thru the service system, get parts in place, etc. 

But there needs to be a quick, direct, expedient path for a customer with this problem to get to a solution. 

Lenovo has left the burden of these unreliable, non-business-worthy machines on the customer too long to now, with a solution reportedly at hand, make the customer work even harder to get a fix.

I completely agree, I just got off the phone with our sales rep and lenovo account manager and either of them have heard of this problem with the T400s series.

I sent them the link but i don't think that's going to help me get through to the right people that can resolve this issue.

Mark, we thank you for the update but without some type of reference we are stuck in the water still...

Options

162 Posts

10-21-2009

Netherlands, Hilversum

732 Signins

3439 Page Views

• Views: 3439
  • Message 384 of 613

2010-01-28, 17:22 PM

My Lenovo dealer states the same. They don't have any official announcement nor any reference about this problem. Neither they have any motherboard revision information from which this problem has been fixed so it's a ship in the night.

--

jan

--- Lenovo Thinkpad t440p (20AN-CT01WW) + SAMSUNG MZ7TD512HAGM-000L1 SSD + 16G SDRAM + 14.0FHD 1920x1080 ---
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 385 of 613

2010-01-28, 23:04 PM

All,

We provide our dealers and servicers with appropriate techical tips  and bulletins in an organized system to aid them in problem determination on an ongoing basis.  The parts logistics systems handles all the part substitution decisions based on disposition codes set by engineering.

We don't provide hardware revision information like release notes on a bios "This part fixes issues A, B, and C".  The tips provide them symptom / solution guidance.  It's all handled by the logistics system and p/n level controls.

I think that if you are having a conversation with service next week and you clearly explain the unexpected power off symptom - ONLY on a T400s system, that appropriate service actions should result. 

IJMZ,

You do have a similar sounding situation - interesting that it seems tied to your bluetooth.  However, it's not the same causal factor as this particular voltage regulation component is not used on the regular T400 - the boards are a different design entirely.  Sorry.

Mark

Options

7 Posts

12-09-2009

Slovakia, Kosice

48 Signins

219 Page Views

• Views: 219
  • Message 386 of 613

2010-01-29, 18:36 PM

Mark_Lenovo,

in this forum thread several users reported that mother board replacement did not solve the problem, moreover resulted in decreased quality. I paid 1700 EUR for business notebook, however I cannot consider this t400s as meant for business cause during presentations I usualy get this random shutdown and Lenovo cannot provide a sure solution for this problem. So I am again asking, is there anybody who can for sure confirm that the MB replacement solved the problem? Or Mark, can you for sure state that if I pass in the box for the MB replacement I get a flowlessly working machine?

At the end I would state that I really do not consider Lenovo's approach professional and the price I paid is not worth the product. This experience will play a vital role for me when deciding over Lenovo's products in the future.

Options

15 Posts

02-02-2010

Canada

27 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 387 of 613

2010-02-02, 5:06 AM

I'll second martinhej's comments.

The T400s is a flagship product targeting executive class business users.  This target market is willing to pay a higher price for a premium product and premium service.  This is why companies like Honda have Acura brands, that come with complimentary VIP service.  Some people are willing to pay for that, and I believe this is what we paid for with the price point of the T400s.  I even purchased the extended warranty.

You only really have one chance to make a good impression with a demographic like this. Unfortunately for Lenovo, this was my first experience with them, and it will be my last. Similarly, Lenovo products won't come near the desks of the 50 developers on my team.

Once I've selected my new machine, I'll contact Lenovo for a replacement motherboard and donate the repaired product to a school, where at least some good may come of it.

Regards.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 388 of 613

2010-02-02, 12:56 PM

All,

Prior system board replacements were not a sure fix as the stock of parts was mixed - the parts in stock could have been affected - the tolerances on some of the voltage controllers could produce these symptoms.   This was not known until the root cause was finally understood.   At the time, replacing the board seemed a favorable solution - good odds that the new board would not have the issue. 

Since the part stock is now updated with a new revision of the part, and parts stocks are being refreshed, I am confident in recommending a system board replacement as the definitive fix for these symptoms.

cbegin,

I understand it is  often extremely difficult to repair a bad first impression, and I certainly respect your point of view.   I would suggest that there is nothing wrong with Lenovo's design - it was and remains a flagship product in terms of design and technology.  Unfortunately, we received some components, a percentage of which, ultimately didn't function as expected.  

I do agree that this seemed to take a long while to understand and resolve, and that the nature of the shutdown symptom made living with it extremely difficult.   I do apologize to you and others who experienced these troubles, and appreciate the efforts of this community to do so much parallel testing and comparing of results.

Best regards,

Mark

Options

6 Posts

02-02-2010

Switzerland

77 Signins

218 Page Views

• Views: 218
  • Message 389 of 613

2010-02-02, 13:33 PM

Mark_Lenovo,

There is still something I don't understand: If the random power off symptom is just an issue of a low percentage of T400s machines and the MB change solves it, then most of the machines should run fine after MB replacement even with stuff from old stocks (except the low percentage of really poor guys that get again a bad one). However, I only remember posts that say the shut downs continue with a new board. So why is that? Can you exclude the battery being responsible?

Regards,

Christian.

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2009

Florida

250 Signins

897 Page Views

• Views: 897
  • Message 390 of 613

2010-02-02, 14:09 PM

Seriously, I think some of you need to stop beating a dead horse here. Mark has made it clear that the *new* mobo replacement is what Lenovo believes to be a sure fix. Further speculation at this point, is moot and a waste of time.. I am growing tired of coming back to view an update in this thread, only to see redundant information...

For the love of God.. Let's give this fix a chance before we continue wasting everyones time with speculation, second guessing, etc...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms