Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

02-02-2010

Switzerland

77 Signins

218 Page Views

• Views: 218
  • Message 461 of 613

Re: T400s random shutdowns

2010-02-26, 16:47 PM

I'm also quite disappointed. Although I didn't have shut downs since the MB replacement the cooler is still making strange noise. I got my notebook back with scratches on the lid and the cover is loose at one edge. Not to mention the trouble I had getting it back. On the phone they told me I can come to pick it up and when I got there they told me that they sent it by mail. Lenovo, that is a really weak performance. Your engineers even fail to reassemble a computer correctly and handle it without making scratches...

Options

2 Posts

03-05-2010

New York

2 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 462 of 613

T400s shuts down suddenly on its own

2010-03-05, 1:11 AM

I have a T400s that arrived with Windows 7 installed. Several times it has shut down suddenly ... as though it was a desktop and someone pulled the plug. When I restart it, I get the black screen but then it is fine for a week or two. This usually happens when I am not doing anything <G> meaning I'm on Facebook, for example, composing a long message and  then it shuts off and I lose the message (bummer) but I didn't hit any key (other than plain typing) or start anything up or shut anything down or even change web pages or windows for a minute or 5 prior to the shut down. I don't have a clue what to do about this ...

Options

5526 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39864 Signins

763953 Page Views

• Views: 763953
  • Message 463 of 613

Re: T400s shuts down suddenly on its own

2010-03-05, 1:38 AM

Hi andreaallennyc, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Please check the post marked as the solution for this thread.

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

2 Posts

03-05-2010

New York

2 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 464 of 613

Re: T400s shuts down suddenly on its own

2010-03-05, 2:42 AM

Thank you so much!!  I searched for discussions of this but couldn't come up with the right terms, it seems. I'll be  getting it fixed!! Yeah!!

Options

21 Posts

10-22-2009

San Diego

262 Signins

607 Page Views

• Views: 607
  • Message 465 of 613

2010-03-06, 0:19 AM

I haven't posted in awhile, mainly because I've had no need to. I took my T400s to my local contracted depot in San Diego (Corporate Computer Centers). They replaced my system board a month ago and I have been shutdown free ever since. :smileyvery-happy:  I don't know the revision number of the new board however.

They also seem very good about not damaging the laptops, as others have had issues with.  If you're in San Diego, I would highly recommend these guys.  Good luck to the rest of you.

Options

15 Posts

02-02-2010

Canada

27 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 466 of 613

2010-03-06, 2:18 AM

My experience (so far):

Starting state:  My laptop was in mint condition (I even use a keyboard cloth to separate the screen and keyboard)... it was mint.  I averaged one random power loss per month -- just enough to warrant fixing.  Otherwise the laptop was perfect.  I have a Next Business Day On-Site Warranty.

* Thu Feb 25:  I place my support call to have my motherboard replaced.  I was served by a friendly younger guy, with a southern US accent.  He was ill prepared and ill informed.  I had to stop him from going through his normal script and tell him the problem I had.  He agreed and logged the service call, but was never able to find the referenced MIGR number or any information regarding this problem.

* Fri Feb 26:  No return call or appointment... so I called them.  Apparently when they take your phone numbers, only one is really logged.  So be sure to give them your cell number as your primary number (or whatever number you're most likely to answer most of the time).  They don't seem to try both numbers.  Annoying.  Thus I have to wait until Monday.

*  WEEKEND:  No service

* Monday Mar 1:  I get a call from the service rep, who sounds like a somewhat stoned teenager.  We make the appointment for 4pm that day.  DOES NOT SHOW UP.  I call him, and he tells me that my case has been transferred to a different tech, who also does not have my phone number -- so I call the main line again, so they can give the new tech my cell number (now the 3rd time I've given it to them).  We book a time for 9:30 the next day.

* Tuesday Mar 2:  The tech arrives (a decent enough guy) promptly on time with a new 60Y series motherboard.  SURPRISINGLY:  He pulls a 60Y series motherboard out of my laptop.  Thus the OLD one was a 60Y too!  Still, he replaces the motherboard.  Over the next FOUR HOURS he attempts everything to get the new board working, but the machine won't even boot or start or stay on for more than 10 seconds.  Finally gives up and puts  the OLD motherboard back in:  BUT THE MACHINE NO LONGER WORKS.  It is now a BRICK.  The tech orders a 3rd motherboard right there and then, which should be there by the next day.

* Wednesday Mar 3:  The new motherboard arrives, also a 60Y series, along with a new battery, just in case.  He spends another 3 hours or so attempting to get this new motherboard working -- no luck.  Now 3 motherboards and 2 battery replacements have failed to get the machine working.  My computer is still a brick.  The tech is now out of options and can no longer help me.  He advises me that I have to call the help number again and start a new process.  

* Thursday Mar 4:  I call Lenovo again.  The service rep reads my case, and pretty much immediately concludes that it needs to be escalated.  He takes all of my information over again, gives me a new case number and tells me a supervisor or manager will call me with a new plan (no time estimate).

* Friday Mar 5:  It's 7pm here, about 30 hours later.  STILL NO CALL.  I'll be calling them now, but this will be the second weekend I go without a laptop.  

End State:  I've gone 5 full days now without a working laptop, the soonest I can possibly see it happening is Tuesday (and that would be a miracle), which means that I'll likely go 10 days or so without a working machine MINIMUM.  Not only is my laptop a brick, but I can assure you that it indeed is full of scratches and gouges and the screw cover (stickers) are all worn and loose now.  The machine is a useless mess.  

If I added up the hours I've spent and lost without my machine, I think Lenovo would owe me about 4 of these laptops.  

What I didn't mention is that I ordered my new laptop (not a Lenovo) on Tuesday.  It will be here next Wednesday.  I bet my new one arrives before Lenovo can honor their warranty on this one... 

Here's to hoping for better luck for the rest of you.

Options

260 Posts

07-03-2009

United States of America

545 Signins

4675 Page Views

• Views: 4675
  • Message 467 of 613

2010-03-06, 6:46 AM

@cbegin   Sorry about the experience! I sent it in for the motherboard replacement. It left my office Thursday afternoon, arrived a repair center (seemingly in Memphis) 7AM Friday, and the replacement was finished on 11:30AM the same day. It is on the way back but unfortunately, there is no delivery for Saturday and Sunday. I will see how the laptop was repaired.

Options

51 Posts

12-04-2009

USA

108 Signins

1075 Page Views

• Views: 1075
  • Message 468 of 613

2010-03-06, 6:55 AM
ask Lenovo to have you send it to depot. I know who paid for on-site, but IMHO depot is better. I had a T42p from IBM a while back with on-site service. The same tech guy always came. He was using a swiss army knife to open the laptop, showed no precaution for electrostatic discharge, and managed to scratch my case. I had the same problem as you in fact! He came to replace my motherboard, but after installing the new one, the computer wouldn't boot. He had to come back with a second MB a few days later. Fixing a laptop on a dinner table, wearing sock on carpet is not a good idea
Options

15 Posts

02-02-2010

Canada

27 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 469 of 613

2010-03-06, 15:12 PM

@samtoossi:  YES!  I forgot to mention the complete lack of proper tools.  In highschool electronics (15 years ago for me) we learned how to properly use a static mat and wrist grounds.  Not only would such a mat protect against static, but it would also protect against the scratches etc.  Those mats are very portable, and thus there's no excuse for them to not be used.

As for returning it to the depot... unfortunately I cannot accept that.  I'm going to work my way through their ranks until they replace the unit.  The damage has been done, and they've replaced almost every part imaginable.  The machine is in shambles -- and it's only a few months old.  That's absolutely unfair and not right.

They have all of my money.  I want all of the hardware and service entitled to me through their sale of one T400s.

Cheers.

Options

22 Posts

02-01-2010

San Clemente, CA

184 Signins

1182 Page Views

• Views: 1182
  • Message 470 of 613

2010-03-06, 18:53 PM

Jeez, what a nightmare...

I am still waiting on doing my MB replacement, because I want to see how others have made out.

I have an onsite 3 year with ADP warranty.  I figured I can check the guy out here at the office, BEFORE I let him work on my laptop.

Sounds like Lenovo repair, depot or onsite, is like that old Samsonite commercial a few years ago.  Monkeys in the monkey cage.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms