Options

37 Posts

03-13-2010

China

873 Signins

2203 Page Views

• Views: 2203
  • Message 531 of 613

Re: Something to note for people who are leery of shipping...

2010-05-21, 8:03 AM

I think the lenovo products have been really good, despite some problems, like display card of T61 and random shutdowns of T400s. The short board lies on the global service which are so different from one country to another. Sometimes you can be there teacher with a little knowledge about pads. Sometimes you feel you are their enemy, looking at their faces. Sometimes you want to buy another pad that is not from lenovo.

It seems that lenovo has been kinda lost in profit. Let's see what it would do next.

Options

260 Posts

07-03-2009

US

545 Signins

4675 Page Views

• Views: 4675
  • Message 532 of 613

Re: T400s random shutdowns

2010-05-22, 23:31 PM

Here is my experience with the motherboard replacement: it simple made things even worse! and much worse!

Before the replacement, my T400s has a motherboard (rev. 40 or 43), which caused random shutdown once a while and had whining noise. After another sudden shutdown happened two weeks ago, I decided to send it to deposit service for a motherboard replacement. I left two batteries (main and ultra-bay) in the laptop when it was sent in, because the batteries could pay a role in the shutdown. The sent-in turns out to be a very wrong decision.

The T400s came back with a 63Y1370 motherboard and a tag "serviceable used part", and both batteries were depleted to 0  (a strange thing to me). I don't mind having a used motherboard as long as it works, but it doesn't work. Windows 7 will freeze up whenever it is on battery. When it runs on AC, however, everything is normal. When it runs on AC and batteries are being charged, Windows 7 will freeze up. And, it also freezes up upon I click on Diagnostics in ThinkVantage Toolbox (regardless batteries attached or not). I have re-installed Windows 7 and loaded the latest MS patches and Lenovo drivers/utilities. So, this used motherboard is either defective or not compatible with MS/Lenovo's latest drivers.

I hope that I had not sent it to repair depot. Anyway, there is more trouble, and it needs to be fixed once more.

MESSAGE: if you need a 60Y or 63Y motherboard, make sure you are given a NEW one, instead of a USED one.

Options

22 Posts

02-01-2010

San Clemente, CA

184 Signins

1182 Page Views

• Views: 1182
  • Message 533 of 613

2010-05-23, 20:05 PM

wrote:

Here is my experience with the motherboard replacement: it simple made things even worse! and much worse!

Before the replacement, my T400s has a motherboard (rev. 40 or 43), which caused random shutdown once a while and had whining noise. After another sudden shutdown happened two weeks ago, I decided to send it to deposit service for a motherboard replacement. I left two batteries (main and ultra-bay) in the laptop when it was sent in, because the batteries could pay a role in the shutdown. The sent-in turns out to be a very wrong decision.

The T400s came back with a 63Y1370 motherboard and a tag "serviceable used part", and both batteries were depleted to 0  (a strange thing to me). I don't mind having a used motherboard as long as it works, but it doesn't work. Windows 7 will freeze up whenever it is on battery. When it runs on AC, however, everything is normal. When it runs on AC and batteries are being charged, Windows 7 will freeze up. And, it also freezes up upon I click on Diagnostics in ThinkVantage Toolbox (regardless batteries attached or not). I have re-installed Windows 7 and loaded the latest MS patches and Lenovo drivers/utilities. So, this used motherboard is either defective or not compatible with MS/Lenovo's latest drivers.

I hope that I had not sent it to repair depot. Anyway, there is more trouble, and it needs to be fixed once more.

MESSAGE: if you need a 60Y or 63Y motherboard, make sure you are given a NEW one, instead of a USED one.

Man, I feel your pain....

I sent my T400s in on Friday to the Depot, because it's my only choice at this point.  The onsite guy that did the MB replacement was a joke and I got a used board as well, see my prior thread.

I have been doing some research, and there is a way to sue Lenovo in Small Claims Court.  I might put this mess into a judges lap, and take my chances.  Maybe they can find a way to either get my money back, or light a fire under this companys butt. 

Options

260 Posts

07-03-2009

US

545 Signins

4675 Page Views

• Message 534 of 613

2010-05-24, 2:46 AM

wrote:

I sent my T400s in on Friday to the Depot, because it's my only choice at this point.  The onsite guy that did the MB replacement was a joke and I got a used board as well, see my prior thread.

I have been doing some research, and there is a way to sue Lenovo in Small Claims Court.  I might put this mess into a judges lap, and take my chances.  Maybe they can find a way to either get my money back, or light a fire under this companys butt. 

Now I am typing on my 4 years old HP. I strongly support your action. I believe most people can tolerate 1 or 2 design flaws like the defective voltage regulator causing random shutdowns, as long as solutions are provided. But, no one will tolerate any repairs that replace a defective motherboard by a used, broken one and make problems even worse, and much worse.

Good luck with your legal actions. Mine is a school-owned laptop, so a small-claim court isn't a way to go. I can only hope that Lenovo's next repair will do the right thing.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 535 of 613

2010-05-24, 19:48 PM

Pingyizhi, Actionhank,

Thanks for sharing your experiences - we will follow up with service teams as appropriate to ensure they are aware and review the appropriate tips concerning this issue.  In general, we try to isolate faults with diagnostics, or by observing a particular failure in order to improve first time fix and manage part use, so I can somewhat understand service wanting to confirm a failure.   However, since these shutdowns can be so random, I also understand that it may not be reasonable to hold a customer system for long period waiting to confirm the symptom.

2810AQU,

Sorry to hear that you've had continued trouble through service on this.   I think there are a lot of alternatives before one would need to consider legal recourse.  Let me suggest the following - let's open a formal complaint on your behalf - please send me a PM with your contact information - name, address, phone, service case numbers that you have handy, and the serial from the bottom of your unit.  I'm assuming your screen name is the model type...

Servicable used parts are more than tested - they are put through a refurb process that reworks them to a later level which is why they may carry revised FRU numbers.    Let's see what we can do to turn this around for you.

Wesleyyin,

Do you still have your T400s?  Are you still in process of getting it repaired, and if so do you need help? 

If you need help, and feel that you are not making appropriate progress through normal service channels, then please send me the same information via PM that I requested of 2801AQU.

Thanks

Mark

Options

1 Posts

05-25-2010

USA

7 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 536 of 613

2010-05-25, 4:07 AM

All, glad to find this thread. I am going through the same nightmare with this random shutdown issue and service repair problems. I bought this t400s back in Feb and started discovering the random shutdown issue. It happens to be about once per 2 weeks. So I recently sent it in for deport repair. Before this I had to have the defective wireless card replaced already.

So the motherboard was replace with a servicable used part along with the keyboard because the dot key doesnt work any longer. Ohhh.... what a mistake for sending it in to the depot. My laptop arrived back today with a big gap above the CDROM. The chassis wasn't closed properly. There is a big flex when you press on it.

What is worse? Now 5 hours on the laptop, 2 complete shutdowns already. The laptop will stay usable for 20 minutes max then completely freeze and not respond to anything then it would restart itself in about 10-20 seconds and the vicious cycle starts all over. From time to time I get a intel graphic card error also and when it happens the screen flickers.

I setup another case to send it in again but with so many major repairs, I am not sure if I still want this laptop. So I am considering taking lenovo to small claim court since I got most of these on video.  After going through T40, T400, X20, X310, this T400s really disappointed me.

Options

260 Posts

07-03-2009

US

545 Signins

4675 Page Views

• Message 537 of 613

2010-05-25, 6:33 AM

Mark_Lenovo:

Thanks. I do a case number now, and I will soon send my T400s back to repair depot. This time, I am going to leave the SSD and batteries in it as it goes to the repair center, so that after repairs, the whole system will be tested. I will post updates here. In case the progress isn't reasonable, I will PM you. Thanks again.

xzhangonline:

I share the same frustration with you since my T400s shows the same symptons. Starting some moment (20 minutes in your case, but sooner in my case and even sooner if running on battery), it will just freeze and then, in a few seconds, reboot. And cycle like this goes endlessly. I am with Mark_Lenovo to believe that all workable used parts were tested under a standard procedure, but from the complaints in this post, I can reasonably say that there are something wrong with the batch of used 60Y or 63Y boards, which was not discoverable by their tests.

After the second repair (out of three so far), I also noticed that the chassis near the two LCD hinges now get loose.

Sigh ... if only my X301 had not been stolen.

All:

If one needs an alternative to T400s/T410s, what would you recommend? Sony Z-series? Dell?

Options

22 Posts

02-01-2010

San Clemente, CA

184 Signins

1182 Page Views

• Views: 1182
  • Message 538 of 613

2010-05-25, 21:10 PM

Mark;

Not sure what you can do from your end, but I will take all the internal help I can get...

Current Case is 32Q3M4W.  Prior case was 30THQ24 for the onsite MB replacement.

My box was shipped to the Memphis TN office. 

Options

260 Posts

07-03-2009

US

545 Signins

4675 Page Views

• Message 539 of 613

2010-06-02, 21:32 PM

Mark_Lenovo:

The last fix appeared to be good. I got my T400s back yesterday from service depot. The motherboard was replaced by another used one (Rev. 63Y). So far it has been running flawlessly with no shutdowns or freezes over night. I am very happy.

The repair did, however, cause two other minor hassles. First, I took off the WWAN mini-card before shipping the laptop out. The two screws used for the mini-card were left on the motherboard screw holes, but screws did not come back with the replaced motherboard. I need to call and get them shipped back to me. Second, during the repair, they put adhesive labels to the movable parts like the batteries. One of them is too hard to peel off in one whole piece. It will be 10 minutes'  careful work to get it off.

Options

8 Posts

10-28-2009

New York

42 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 540 of 613

2010-06-03, 13:49 PM

Hi all, another person suffering with this issue. I haven't been able to read all this thread and was hoping someone could confirm that there's no other way to get this repaired other than shipping in your laptop to Lenovo? (I was surprised to learn the closest partner is over 100 miles away.) About how long does it take for folks to get their laptops back? I use mine for work and can't really stand to be without it for long.

Also, are customer technicians aware of this issue now, or will I have to deal with the issues others have had with technicians wanting to hold a laptop for days until they can replicate the issue? This happens for me about once a week at this point...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms