Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-08-2011

Portland

4 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 1 of 7

T410 Software Questions/Partitions.

2011-12-08, 2:59 AM

Hello Lenovo Community!

I am new to this forum, so if i post this at a wrong place or u already have a thread that covers this: please apologize. I tried using your search function but i couldn't find anything that related to my topic.

So here is my issue:

I bought a new T420 and recieved it via mail on monday ( exciting!). It sure is an awesome machine!

Now, I would like to decrease the size of partition C: where the operating system is on, to lets say 100GB. ( i have a total of 500gb). I called the servioce center and they said, the first thing i have to do is get rid of partition Q: where the recovery is on. So i wanted to save that onto my external harddrive, which then resulted in the loss of 300Gb of data, bt at least the recovery file was now on my external harddrive. I called the customre service again, gave them my case number, but they said they couldn't further help me for whatever reason.

So this is the current standing: (C:) with the operating system: 231 GB and D: hcih is empty with 233 gb. i want to shrink the partition with the OS, buut that doesnt work. it cant be shrunk any further. What would u suggest i do?

I was thinking of formating everything and then putting windows on new, cause i can then make partitions from the beginning. But i am not even sure if the recovery data will work, as i have never seen any data formats (.swm) like that before.

I would be really happy if you could give me some pointers on what i could do. Furthermore: which preinstalled settings do i need? I have the feeling my programm files folder is already so crammed with different little programms that are supposed to make everything easier, but i am pretty annoyed by them.

Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

Diego

Options

315 Posts

02-21-2008

Singapore

577 Signins

3826 Page Views

• Views: 3826
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: T410 Software Questions/Partitions.

2011-12-08, 5:31 AM

1) You can resize C drive using the free partition wizard, home edition, I had used it several times before when running XP and vista, which I assume your T400 is running on since you didn't state what is the operating system.

2) After you have shrink the C drive to lets say 30GB, you can clone that partition and the Q drive (around 20GB) so that your external harddisk would have the 'original' setup for future restoration.

3) You should also get 1 CDRW and 3 DVDRW and create recovery discs, then covert these into ISO images and then store in your external drive. The recovery disc will give you the factory restoration capability.

4) After any combinations of above, you can resize C to lets say 50GB to 100GB and use the remaining as D drive. Do note that because harddisk are circular, C drive will be faster than D drive because of the distance the reading arm needs to move. So give as much space on C drive for your operating system, programs and data so that it will run as fast as you want. 

Options

3 Posts

12-08-2011

Portland

4 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 3 of 7

2011-12-08, 9:09 AM

Thank you very much for your reply!

I am running on windows7 64-bit. sorry forgot to mention that.

Will the free partition wizward still work?

Options

9569 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78264 Signins

2253265 Page Views

• Views: 2253265
  • Message 4 of 7

2011-12-08, 16:58 PM

wrote:

3) You should also get 1 CDRW and 3 DVDRW and create recovery discs, then covert these into ISO images and then store in your external drive. The recovery disc will give you the factory restoration capability.

This should be #1 - or #0.  Burn your recovery media before messing with the partitions.  Rescue and Recovery can be fussy about modified partitions.  You may not be able to create this media once you've made changes.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

315 Posts

02-21-2008

Singapore

577 Signins

3826 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2011-12-08, 18:01 PM

I am running on windows7 64-bit. sorry forgot to mention that.

Will the free partition wizward still work?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes it will, however since you are using window 7, it already have excellent partitioning tools build in so you may not need partition wizard. Just launch computer->Mange->Disk Management and you can shrink the size of the C partition .

This should be #1 - or #0.  Burn your recovery media before messing with the partitions.  Rescue and Recovery can be fussy about modified partitions.  You may not be able to create this media once you've made changes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The threadstarter question was regards shrinking parition so my answer was targetted to that. Anyway, I have done so many  shrinking of parition and backing up using cloning tools that I think creating recovery disc tools wouldn't notice. As long as the boot sectors, S Drive are not the one touched, the space between C and Q drive can change sizes without much effect. 

If threadstarter is using window 7, then the obvious solution is to use the window 7 backup software that is build in to backup an image of the C drive to the external drive, this way, he don't even need to shrink the size of the C drive. Win 7 would create an image with size that is equal to the space used in the C drive.

Options

9569 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78264 Signins

2253265 Page Views

• Views: 2253265
  • Message 6 of 7

2011-12-08, 18:13 PM

HI,

You may be right (or mostly right...) but the prudent thing to do is to burm the recovery set before doing anything else.

There are too many threads around here crying the blues after doing *whatever* to the partitioning and *then* finding out R&R won't burn recovery media.  All it takes is one seemingly innocent mod.  You can't unring that bell (easily).

Granted, R&R shouldn't be so fussy.

"Anyway, I have done so many  shrinking of parition and backing up using cloning tools that I think creating recovery disc tools wouldn't notice."

Me too.  Mixed results on whether R&R still can find Q: or even the bootable R&R via the "Think" button.

BTW, I'd probably spin up  Ubuntu (or other Linux live CD) and use gParted to resize and modify partitions.  That's just what I'm used to.

Regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

315 Posts

02-21-2008

Singapore

577 Signins

3826 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2011-12-09, 6:19 AM

Lol, you are correct.

3 years ago when I was in this forum and as of now the problems are still the same. it keeps repeating itself so often I wondered if a FAQ would be more benefitical going forward.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms