06-06-2011

RU

17733 Signins

175270 Page Views

• Views: 175270
  • Message 11 of 23

Re: T410 upgraded to 8, can't recover to 7

2014-08-12, 21:42 PM

Regarding Lenovo win8 recovery boot media: are there any menu items which say about restore previous OS version? I ask because of I didn't see that media description yet.

Your questions and answers:
> I also don't know where my registration key would be

you don't need that, its inside of the BIOS SLIC if you'll install the OS in OEM reduction (i.e.preloaded or the fresh)

> Any ideas where I can find a win7 install disk?

google will help. :) You don't need that if we'll perform followed steps.

> A copy of the bootable win8 CD?

I mean bootable recovery CD you have already. Delete its content you've listed above:
-WINRE.WIM
-BOOTMGR
-hidden folder named BOOT

Note copy not files but image (!) i.e.the whole disk 

> what do I put in the USB stick?

the same content as in the item above. The stick size might be 2 gb or even less.
You should launch diskpart.exe tool
I'll post instructions a bit later.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Browser Search to find the answers in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Использование поисковых сервисов Интернет, чтобы найти ответы на форуме Lenovo & Moto

Options

12648 Posts

06-06-2011

RU

17733 Signins

175270 Page Views

• Message 12 of 23

2014-08-12, 22:23 PM

Do not panic :)

Here is an instruction how to prepare bootable usb stick. The most of commands are well known except of the several last ones, they need because of we don't use tools for creation win7 installation media or boot recovery media and don't have OS installation disk.

Connect USB flash drive to your computer. Open a command line prompt in Administrator mode.
Execute the following commands:

diskpart
list disk

Identify the number of your USB flash drive by looking at the disk capacities listed by the previous command; let's assume it is #. Execute the following commands:

select disk #
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=NTFS quick
assign
exit

Leave the command prompt open. Download bootsect.exe, 32 bit, save to the folder, for example, c:\temp

In the command prompt launch the following commands (assuming E: is your USB drive):

c:
cd c:\temp
bootsect /nt60 e:

Now copy the files from sdrivebackup.wim we discribed.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Использование поисковых сервисов Интернет, чтобы найти ответы на форуме Lenovo & Moto

Options

13 Posts

08-11-2014

United States

23 Signins

235 Page Views

• Views: 235
  • Message 13 of 23

2014-08-23, 14:47 PM

x220forMe

Thanks for your patience.  I had family in town for a couple of weeks and could not work on this.  I am trying it today - wish me luck!.  I'll post results when I have finished.

Options

13 Posts

08-11-2014

United States

23 Signins

235 Page Views

• Message 14 of 23

2014-08-23, 17:31 PM

No luck...

I boot from the flash drive and get to a screen named 'Windows Boot Manager' that says:

'A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed icorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

If you have a Windows installation diesk, isert the disc and restart your computer.  Click "Repair your computer" and then choose a recovery tool.

Otherwise, to start Windows so you can investigate further, press the ENTER key to display the boot menu, press F8 for Advanced Boot options, and select Last Known God.  If you understand why the digital signature cannot be verified and want to start Windows without this file, temporarily disable driver signature information

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file'

And at the  bottom the choices ENTER =continue   and ESC=Exit. 

If I press ENTER it briefly flashes another screen and then takes me back here.  Same if I press F8

I think the flash drive does not boot all the way to Win7.  Am I missing any files?  

The contents of the flash drive are:

G:\>dir
 Volume in drive G has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 8EDD-5428

Directory of G:\

08/23/2014  12:49 PM    <DIR>          Boot
02/23/2010  09:53 AM           365,056 BootRec.exe
03/04/2011  08:57 PM       478,059,463 sdrivebackup.wim
03/04/2011  08:21 PM    <DIR>          WindowsRE
07/13/2009  06:43 PM           604,192 winload.exe
               3 File(s)    479,028,711 bytes
               2 Dir(s)   3,270,631,424 bytes free

G:\>

I copied a win 7 bootrec.exe there and also a Win7 winload.exe that I found inside sdrivebackup.wim with 7-zip.  Still does not do any good.  I think the flash drive wants to boot with the files in C:\  which are Win8 and not Win7.

I believe that if the flash drive would let me recover from the Q drive, it would find Win7 image there, but I can't seem to get there.  What do you think I should do next?

Options

12648 Posts

06-06-2011

RU

17733 Signins

175270 Page Views

• Message 15 of 23

2014-08-23, 18:32 PM
1. it's normal for win8 since this OS prevents laptop boot from unsigned devices or loaders. Disable "Securу Boot" option in BIOS Setup.

2. You have a drive with mix. What for? Did you download bootsect.exe?
You should copy entire content (!) of sdrivebackup.wim, not the .wim itself, into the root, with the same folder names.

Options

13 Posts

08-11-2014

United States

23 Signins

235 Page Views

• Message 16 of 23

2014-08-23, 19:13 PM

<<<1. it's normal for win8 since this OS prevents laptop boot from unsigned devices or loaders. Disable "Securу Boot" option in BIOS Setup>>>

I don't have that option in the BIOS, only Memory security.  I disabled that.

<<2. You have a drive with mix. What for? Did you download bootsect.exe?>>

By 'a drive' you mean the hard disk or the flash drive?    I only put in the flash drive what I posted, and the HD is now Win8.  I got the bootsect.exe from inside one of the wims in Q:, so it should be for Win 7, according to the date.

<<<You should copy entire content (!) of sdrivebackup.wim, not the .wim itself, into the root, with the same folder names. >>>

Doing that now and will try again.  I'll post when it has run.

Thanks again - really appreciate your help.

Options

13 Posts

08-11-2014

United States

23 Signins

235 Page Views

• Message 17 of 23

2014-08-25, 19:56 PM

No luck again.

I coped all the contents of sdrivebackupwim to the root of the flash drive.  The flash drive still boots to the same problem screen about winload.exe

Now I have available from someone at work a Win7 PRO 64-bit recovery DVD disk and I can now boot into win7 System Recovery options from this DVD, but when I select System Image Recovery, it asks me for the last DVD from a backup set.  I put the last DVD I created with Lenovo Rescue and Recovery and it does not recognize it. (tried all three, the 2 DVD's and the first CD).

Is it possible that Win7 System recovery is looking for an IMAGE and that Lenovo Rescue and Recovery creates the DVD's in a format that is NOT a windows Image?    

I tried going to the command prompt and finding the Q: drive.  Diskpart tells me it's been changed to an E: by the Win 7 System recovery disk.  In E: I try to run lenovoqdrive.exe and I get a message:

'The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present.'

It seems that maybe the lenovo programs are 32-bit and the Win7 recovery DVD disk is 64.  Do you know if I need to have a 32-bit Win7 Recovery disk?

I'm very frustrated - I think all the necessary files and partitions to recover are there but I can't seem to get the recovery process started.  Any suggestions?

Options

278 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Views: 62458
  • Message 18 of 23

2014-08-25, 20:24 PM

Hi, do you have a legible Windows 7 OA sticker (with 25-digit product key) on the back of your T410, under the battery?

Don't post your key, just tell whether it's Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, etc.

13 Posts

08-11-2014

United States

23 Signins

235 Page Views

• Message 19 of 23

2014-08-25, 20:26 PM

Hi Anastasios

Yes I do, Windows 7 Pro OA.

Options

278 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Views: 62458
  • Message 20 of 23

2014-08-25, 23:00 PM

Poster wrote:

Hi Anastasios

Yes I do, Windows 7 Pro OA.

Ok, I would simply solve the problem this way:

(1) Navigate to the T410 drivers and download page and download the latest Windows 7 64-bit Intel wifi driver to support wifi link 6200AGN onto a USB flash drive. Most T410 I've been working on seem to have have 6200AGN (properly Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 model # 622ANHMW) but if unsure, just remove memory cover then the 1 center screw from the back of your laptop and the keyboard pops right off and you can be 100% sure. If it's 6250AGN or 6300AGN the latest Intel driver will cover them all. Else use a program like "CPU-Z" if you don't want to remove your keyboard.

Quick way I found to locate the driver on the newly designed Lenovo website is to type "wireless LAN" in the "keyword" search box. Wireless drivers will jump to the front.

Latest Intel driver: Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, 11bgn, 11ac) for Windows 64-bit version 17.0.5    updated 7/10/2014

filename n14w207w_64

(Lenovo keeps updating their website, but that link  is correct as of today 8-25-14, just checked it, but may not work in the near future if Lenovo changes their website and links again :smileyfrustrated:).

If you don't have an Intel wifi card then this is your other option:

Of course you can download the Ethernet driver instead and connect Ethernet cable while setting up your laptop.
I belabor this point because Windows 7 does not install an automatic/ generic driver for Intel wifi link 6200AGN as it does for T400 Intel wifi link 5100 card for example. So you need that driver to get online and finish updating your laptop.
*While you're at it, you might as well download all other major drivers. Or you can do those later.

(2) Now, go to the following Windows 7 forum page where they have been nice enough to neatly archive direct links to Windows 7 ISO files, which take a couple hours to download. Make sure you have a stable connection and don't interrupt the download. Then you must use a program like Roxio or Nero to burn to a DVD. You will now have a Windows 7 bootable installation DVD :) (Keep a copy of this disc safely in case you ever need to re-install Windows 7 in the future). Some people make a bootable USB flash drive but I don't bother. I just do it this way as it allows me to test the DVD player as I am setting up the laptop also. Then again, my purpose is to test/ sell the laptop/ set it up for my clients.

You need Windows 7 Pro to match your key. Choose the 64-bit version ("x64", not "x86") . These ISO files are directly from the official Microsoft web servers. These are nice as SP1 (Service Pack 1) is already incorporated into the ISO file. BTW, when ready to set up Windows 7, your laptop should be set to "AHCI" not "compatibility" mode under BIOS---> SATA settings, as SP1 will neatly deal with all Intel Matrix storage driver issues as well as any Advanced Format drive issues. I've never had a problem with those things since I go right to Windows 7 SP1. And Windows updates  work perfectly.

(3) Now here is one little part I'm not completely sure about,  as I hate Windows 8 with a vengeance, and find it an insult to all humanity. It was obviously designed by a couple of hyper teens (the same type who post roller blading videos on Youtube). And yes, I tried it once, and yes I am open to change, and yes, there was a learning curve, but after quickly mastering the basic concept of how it works/ how to get to stuff and seeing that it is so different from a Windows 7 type organization, which is logical and sane, I dumped it and will stick with Windows 7 from now to Armageddon.

So what I'm not sure about is if Windows 8 formats hard drives or SSD's in a format that cannot be used by Windows 7 installation. And if so, I'm not sure if a simple tool such as HDDGuru ---> quick format---> wipe OS and file tables is all that's needed. After writing all of this I don't feel like researching that part- let's make that's your homework :) But seriously, please check that first if you will be using/ overwriting the same hard drive or SSD in your laptop now. If so it would also be a good idea to use a program such as "Crystaldiskinfo" to verify your hard drive or SSD is in excellent shape before embarking on this journey. Of course, if you'll be using a blank or new hard drive or SSD you're all set. 

(4) Install Windows 7 Pro (* during the installation choose NOT to enter your product key yet, and NOT to automatically activate online when Windows asks). Right click and adjust screen resolution to highest resolution available until you have time to update video drivers. Then pop in the USB flash drive and install your wifi driver from step 1. Reboot and log onto your network. Then Click <START> button---> Computer---> System properties, and scroll down to "Windows activation" and click "Change product key". Type in your 25-digit Product key exactly as shown on "OA" sticker under your battery. Sometimes it will activate automatically online, sometimes it will pop up with a message saying you can not activate online. In that case, don't worry- there is nothing wrong with your key. It's just Microsoft being Microsoft (modern-day robber baron, that's why we need some modern-day Robin Hoods- just kidding, or am I?). Anyway, Microsoft MUST respect O.E.M. product keys. But they may require you to call in and use the automated telephone system (rarely will you have to speak to a live person- but if you do, just tell them you have activated this key on 'zero' laptops). Follow the prompts and enter the numbers provided and that's it. It WILL activate. That's about it, I think you can take it from there.

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete