10-02-2020

US

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 6

T410 with SSD, stuck at Lenovo sign-on screen

2020-10-02, 20:27 PM

Trying to get a 32 bit T410, running windows 10, to use an SSD. Tried the clone two ways (sector-by-sector, and not) both result in the same behavior. Boot partition is active. Same drive type (MBR) as original. Lenovo sign on screen occurs, after a few seconds HD activity light goes out and that's all she does. Just sits there. I have tried the SSD on another computer; it's fine. The clone went perfectly. Upgraded the BIOS using Lenovo System Upgrade tool, which claims there are no further updates. 

Even trying to interrupt the start up with either the "ThinkVantage" key or the F12 key makes no difference. It remains stuck at the sign-on. As if it has no idea what is plugged in to it. Which is why I upgraded the BIOS, but this made no difference. 

Any mechanical HD works as expected. Any SSD I plug in (I had another one to try) gives same behavior, even if disk is uninitialized.

Any ideas? Suggestions? 

Options

8519 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77401 Signins

2201919 Page Views

• Views: 2201919
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:T410 with SSD, stuck at Lenovo sign-on screen

2020-10-02, 20:38 PM

Back in the day with ThinkPads it was best to have the new drive installed in its final location in the target laptop when doing the clone operation or image restore.  I don't know if that was still true with the T410 but you might give that a try if you haven't already.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

4 Posts

10-02-2020

US

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2020-10-02, 21:15 PM

Thank you for your reply. 

I have seen this sentiment posted variously on the internet. My problem is that the moment I put the SSD in to the computer's HD slot, it just hangs up. Can' clone with the SSD internal, because it won't run that way. 

Options

4 Posts

10-02-2020

US

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2020-10-03, 18:24 PM

Update: I have now tried to install Win 10 directly to the SSD, and I get  a clear -- though Microsoft Vague -- message that Windows can not be installed on that disk because the computer can not boot from it. No mention of why not. It then suggests I check the BIOS to be sure it's enabled. Typical Microsoft un-useful error message. 

Anyone know what this means? 

I have updated the BIOS to what the Lenovo Updater says is the current version. Or at least it says there are no more updates. 

Further Update: I also tried to boot from the SSD connected via USB, but the Boot Options list can not see the SSD. It's not on the list. Yet, when I boot from the HDD I can read the SSD when connected to a USB with no problem. So, again, it looks like BIOS problem, but the BIOS is up to date, so far as I can tell. 

Options

15 Posts

09-25-2020

DE

15 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 5 of 6

2020-10-03, 22:15 PM

Hi,

sounds to me that you can install W10 on your SSD after all, but you have to somehow bring back the SSD to its "virgin" state first. I remember problems like yours when I upgraded the SSD on an E470. Back then I finally took a detour via a MacBook and erased the new SSD via USB in the disc utility on that machine. I would think that there should to be another way to do that. Don't know if that helps at all, but good luck anyway.

Cheers, Jens

Options

4 Posts

10-02-2020

US

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-10-03, 22:46 PM
Thanks, Jens. I'm not sure what "virgin state" means for an SSD. I have tried it a couple different ways. I get the feeling that the BIOS simply is not aware of SSD during Boot Phase. It can read an SSD attached to a USB port, but the available boot devices list (F12) does not show that same SSD.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete