Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

11-06-2020

Canada

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 2

T410 with SSD - Windows Install says hardware does not support boot from device

2020-11-06, 7:15 AM

I've been struggling with a T410 all day today with trying to install windows 10 on to an ADATA SATAIII SSD (SU620 a 240GB drive)

I just updated the T410's bios to 1.45 (it was at 1.18 - luckily I had blank dvds kicking around...)

The BIOS sees the ADATA SSD so that doesnt seem to be an issue

I've set the BIOS SATA mode to AHCI

When the Win10 install lets me pick the drive to install on, it complains saying the hardware may not support booting from the device selected.

I've tried to delete the primary partitions, format the partition but Windows install won't let me install it.

I've tried loading the Intel SATA AHCI drivers via a usb key - the drivers show up and seem to load but the installer refuses to let me install Windows. 

I even tried to install Windows via the T410 with an external SATA/USB adapter - But the installer said it wouldn't install on USB/Firewire. 

I've tried switching back to the SATA Compatability mode. When I do that, the Windows installer doesn't see the drive at all. 

I originally was going to go the Clonezilla way, but the original drive is a 300GB one and even though I shrank the windows paritions down to 160GB Clonezilla couldnt clone it properly. 

What can I try??

Options

462 Posts

05-28-2017

Canada

524 Signins

3483 Page Views

• Views: 3483
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:T410 with SSD - Windows Install says hardware does not support boot from device

2020-11-08, 23:13 PM

Try a different storage device and see if that works, could be the SATA SSD is problematic with the older machine

I own: T400 T500 X220 running Windows 10 x64 & My X230 runs Linux for my webserver
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms