Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

01-19-2013

Canada

6 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 1 of 1

T420 Intermittent boot issue: blinking power button - boots after several tries

2016-03-09, 5:58 AM

T420, 4177-CTO, July 2012 date on bottom. Received laptop in August 2012 in MA,USA.

In ~February of 2015 the laptop started to see this issue, where pressing the power button from shutdown or hibernation leads to the power button blinking, then the optical disk clicking, then the sound of the hard drive (I'm 90% sure, otherwise it would be the fan spinning), and the laptop just stays that way. Opening the lid from sleep sometimes leads to the computer shutting off, and the pressing of the power button then leads to this symptom. The way it shuts down from sleep is that the button flashes a couple times, and then it shuts down simultaneously as a sound just like when you pull the battery out when the laptop is operating is heard.

This is frustrating because after many 10+, sometimes more tries of pulling & reinserting the battery it would boot again, and as long as I don't put the computer to sleep or shut it down this would not happen from a powered-on state. I want to find a way to fix it if I can.

I have 2 memory chips, and I have tried all 6 ways of inserting the chips in the 2 slots and this did not fix the issue. Once I have pulled & reinserted the HDD, and it booted afterwards, but the next day it recurred, and doing this did not help.

The only proven way has been to try incessantly at pulling the battery, and recently the probability and duration of the issue has become worse.

As I mentioned, this first started occurring during winter 2015, and actually it disappeared some time after, and only came back during the winter of 2015-2016. Could this be due to the winter? Oh and also the first occurrence happened not long after installing dual boot with Linux. Almost all of these cases happened from Linux, as I work almost always with Linux after installing the dual boot.

What do you think the likely issue is?

Thank you very much for helping to diagnose.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms