Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

27 Posts

12-14-2009

Florida

250 Signins

897 Page Views

• Views: 897
  • Message 1 of 3

T420s Left/Right Speaker Volume

2012-06-04, 13:55 PM

I've seen it posted on some other site forums, but have not been able to find anything here. Anyone else have a problem with the left speaker volume being much greater than that of the right side, fresh out of the box? Just got my new T420s and it has this problem.

From what I have seen on the other sites, there is no solution to this. And Lenovo sales wants me to waste time with their tech support, just so I can return this defective laptop. I don't want a replacement, as I just dont trust the quality of these products anymore. Last T400s I bought had a defective mobo whcih caused random shutdowns, and now this problem.

Options

13 Posts

09-16-2011

Dimitrovgrad, Bulgaria

37 Signins

303 Page Views

• Views: 303
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T420s Left/Right Speaker Volume

2012-06-04, 18:41 PM
My left speaker is also defective, but is quieter than the right one. I have disassembled the front panel a few times to clean the fan, etc. and i though i have damaged the speaker. But It could have been damaged from the beginning. Could it be some BIOS, driver issue ? I have a T520i running under Linux Fedora. I also don't have a solution.
Thinkpad T520i: i7-2860QM, 16GB RAM, 500GB Seagate, Linux
Options

27 Posts

12-14-2009

Florida

250 Signins

897 Page Views

• Views: 897
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T420s Left/Right Speaker Volume

2012-06-04, 23:17 PM

I don't think it is a BIOS issue, as it doesn't seem to happen on all T420s machines running the same version. At least not from what I've seen googling around. Same goes for sound drivers, etc. I'm pretty sure it is either a board issue not supplying the proper power to the left speaker, or perhaps a problem with the speaker itself... Perhaps a higher impedance.

The good news, calling tech support wasn't too bad. The tech was friendly, and took my word at things. So this T420s I purchased is now going back to Lenovo.

I had thought about purchasing another in hopes that there would be no problems, but like I said before, I've kinda lost my trust in Lenovo having been through two of their top of the line models, both having had issues out of the box. And while the tech I got this time around made things easy with getting this return going, there is nothing to promise me it would go easy the next time around if I get another defective unit.

I guess for now I will stick to using my old T400s, which works great to this day, after Mark_Lenovo had it fixed years ago due to the random shutdown issues, and then a poor repair job with the mobo replacement. (Mark was absolutely awesome in regards to his customer service, almost makes up for the entire downside of Lenovo)

I'll be keeping my eye on this X1 Carbon they're coming out with... If I don't see many postings in regards to problems with it, I'd love to give it a shot. I absolutely love these laptops overall, but when paying top dollar, I want no compromise perfection.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms