Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-24-2020

Pakistan

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 3

T430 CPU speed locks at 1.19 ghz when plugged in.

2020-09-24, 8:06 AM

My t430 (i7 3520-M) CPU speed locks at 1.19 GHz when it is plugged in (charging) but when I plugged it out and use it on battery the speed maximized to around 3.3ghz unfortunately my battery have just 1 minute of backup and,
I want to get the full CPU speed with plugged in. Help me with this plz.

I have windows 10 (1909)

Options

2095 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

228 Signins

10741 Page Views

• Views: 10741
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:T430 CPU speed locks at 1.19 ghz when plugged in.

2020-09-24, 9:01 AM

@ Wehshi wrote:

My t430 (i7 3520-M) CPU speed locks at 1.19 GHz when it is plugged in (charging) but when I plugged it out and use it on battery the speed maximized to around 3.3ghz unfortunately my battery have just 1 minute of backup and,
I want to get the full CPU speed with plugged in. Help me with this plz.

I have windows 10 (1909)

Hello Wehshi,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Normally when charging a device, there is extra power transfer coming through, this in turn heats the battery and by association the computer as a whole. This might be why you are seeing the CPU throttle. So firstly check your CPU/GPU temperature. Make sure the fans are able to compensate for the increase in heat. There should be settings for this in Vantage or you can get programs like MSI Afterburner to increase the RPM on certain temperature thresholds. 

Also keep in mind that when the AC adapter is plugged in, the laptop usually draws it's power straight from it instead of the battery. If the wattage of the AC adapter is low, this might also cause the computer to throttle / lag or become slow, as it doesn't get sufficient power to run optimally. Changing to a higher wattage adapter if available for the unit can remedy this issue.

I'd also advise to check if the Power Profile changes when you are plugging in the charger. Make sure it is set to Max Performance.  

• Click the advanced settings in the power profile. 
  • Navigate to Processor Power Management Settings and Expand it.
  • Make sure it is on 100% on both Battery and Plugged in.

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

09-24-2020

Pakistan

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:T430 CPU speed locks at 1.19 ghz when plugged in.

2020-09-25, 5:00 AM

Temperature isn't the issue and yes everything is maxed out (performance priority). I think the problem is with the charger as I have a 65w charger should I get the 90w ?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms