Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

10-09-2009

Aberdeen

4 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 1 of 2

T430 failure with slight electronics burning smell

2019-07-17, 11:27 AM

I left my t430 laptop switched on a while yesterday and when I returned to it I noticed the screen off and no visible signs of power, except for the fingerprint sensor orange led which was flickering. The fingerprint sensor led is normally always off and never normally flickers. (I never use the fingerprint sensor)

But other than that no signs of life.

Power was plugged in with a good battery installed when this happened. Until yesterday this laptop had always worked flawlessly. 

The slight smell of burning electronics was from the top right corner of machine, but other than that no signs of fire.

I tried another good power supply and still no signs of life. I have tried the battery in my other t430 and it is good.

• Is there known common failure as such with the t430?
  • Is there a common known motherboard failure on the t430 board?
  • easy repair?

• anyone know what has happened?

(feels like a capacitor in the power circuit may have gone, but I don't really know) 

Answer
Options

12337 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40515 Signins

427554 Page Views

• Views: 427554

Re: T430 failure with slight electronics burning smell

2019-07-17, 15:27 PM

Based on your description, it could be any part of the motherboard, but power supply or power distribution are likely.  I would open it and look around, but I would expect that the motherboard would need replacing.  It is about 6 years old, so a previously-used board somewhere like eBay is a reasonable option, and should not be too expensive.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

12337 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40515 Signins

427554 Page Views

• Views: 427554
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: T430 failure with slight electronics burning smell

2019-07-17, 15:27 PM

Based on your description, it could be any part of the motherboard, but power supply or power distribution are likely.  I would open it and look around, but I would expect that the motherboard would need replacing.  It is about 6 years old, so a previously-used board somewhere like eBay is a reasonable option, and should not be too expensive.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)