Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Views: 46460
  • Message 21 of 25

Re: T430S Version Mismatch. Location Awareness. How to solve? thanks

2013-02-07, 4:12 AM

wrote:

>>  In other words, if you need to re-create the environment, how do you install Windows 8 and the Lenovo applications?

I think you are asking how to blow away the Win8 preload and create your image.  In theory it's very much like Win7, e.g. install the OS, run WU, install TVSU, run TVSU.  The extra step on Win8 is that there are now some Modern UI (formerly Metro) apps.  Outside of the preload, Modern UI apps are installed from the Windows Store.  Here is a marketing overview of the Modern UI apps in Lenovo Win8 preloads:

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/ee8/discover.html

Thanks for the information.  What I am really looking for is a description of what you need without installing ThinkVantage Software Update.  If history repeats itself, I assume there are a number of required drivers and software, then there are things that are optional.

I have already installed Windows 8 on a ThinkPad T430s we own, then later reverted back to Windows 7.  The machine came with Windows 7 so upgrading or clean installing was a total guessing game.

Do you guys have a step-by-step guide on each model, what is required, what is optional, etc. without using TVSU?  I'm looking for a guide.

Regarding the apps in the Windows store, I looked but didn't see them.  What is the trick to making them visible in the store?

Thanks

Options

6918 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17806 Signins

165975 Page Views

• Views: 165975
  • Message 22 of 25

2013-02-07, 13:23 PM

>> Do you guys have a step-by-step guide on each model, what is required, what is optional, etc. without using TVSU?  I'm looking for a guide.

I'm not aware of a guide like that.  Only you can decide what is required or optional for your usage.  E.g. do you really need LSC?  Do you really need Lenovo Companion?  Except for the Windows Store apps, everything that is available for your system for Win8 is (or should be) on the support website.

>> Regarding the apps in the Windows store, I looked but didn't see them.  What is the trick to making them visible in the store?

The Windows Store apps are exclusive to Lenovo, because we don't want to support them on non-Lenovo systems.  Unfortunately, how Microsoft detects "Lenovo" is whether the system has a Win8 OA3 license from Lenovo.  So only systems that shipped with a Win8 OA3 license from Lenovo (e.g. a Win8 preloaded systems) can see Lenovo exclusive Windows Store apps.  Your T430s that shipped with Win7 and was later upgraded to Win8 would not have a OA3 license, therefore it would not be able to see Lenovo exclusive apps in the Windows store.

Answer
Options

6918 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

17806 Signins

165975 Page Views

• Views: 165975
  • Message 23 of 25

2013-02-07, 13:31 PM

>> I am getting an error message on the machine when I log in saying:

>> Version Mismatch. Please update Lenovo Settings and Location Awareness to the latest versions.

Lenovo has released a version of the Settings Dependency Package which solves this problem.  Please download it from:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS031946

Version 1.0.5.13

• (Fix) Fixed an issue that Location Awareness of the Lenovo Settings application 
    shows version mismatch message and does not work.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

324 Posts

05-06-2009

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

585 Signins

3737 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 3737
  • Message 24 of 25

2013-02-07, 19:25 PM

That basically means for now we're all not getting any Lenovo Apps until they figure it out.

Or we do over in the Windows 8 forum a bit lower down :)

Lets not forget that every app ever released before these windows 8 apps could have been installed on any machine at all without any issues.

Strange policy shift that just shafts existing users because lets face it, no one else is going to want to download Lenovo applications.

DangerMouse --||-- Current Machines: T480S/P52S
Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Views: 46460
  • Message 25 of 25

2013-02-07, 21:36 PM

wrote:

That basically means for now we're all not getting any Lenovo Apps until they figure it out.

Or we do over in the Windows 8 forum a bit lower down :)

Lets not forget that every app ever released before these windows 8 apps could have been installed on any machine at all without any issues.

Strange policy shift that just shafts existing users because lets face it, no one else is going to want to download Lenovo applications.

I have to agree.  Dumping Power Manager and this policy change continue to make me scratch my head.  I guess Lenovo doesn't think anyone will upgrade from Windows 7 so why bother.

Lame

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms