2014-11-26, 1:20 AM

System specs:

Lenovo T430U

Intel i5-3427U

8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600MHz SoDIMM Memory

HDD 500G 7200rpm Toshiba

mSATA 24GB Samsung Cache

Win 8 Pro, upgraded to 8.1

I rarely use this machine but a couple of months ago I went to boot it up and found that I was not able to get past the Windows splash screen. Sometimes I don't even get the Windows splash screen, I just get a black screen. Rarely I get a Windows screen saying that it is diagnosing a system problem or something to that effect and I can even get to where it will allow me to do some Windows diagnostics but nothing ever comes of it and the process is extremely slow.

I called Lenovo, but of course my machine is out of waranty so the tech just gave me a few pointers and said I could send it in to the depo but the potential repair cost could range up to about 75% of what I paid for the machine in the first place. Anyways, after having me try a few things in the BIOS he suggested that it was likely the hard drive. I mistakenly thought from the time that I bought this machine that the OS was installed on the 24 GB SSD so I ordered a new SSD and swapped it in. This made no difference at all as I have now learned that the mSATA SSD drive is merely for cache to speed up booting.

I am afraid that this means the main HDD is at fault, and quite frankly, if I replace it I am going to do a fresh install of Windows 7. But I do have pictures and docs that I would like to salvage if possible. Any ideas on what might be going on here?

Solved! See the solution
Options

725 Posts

11-21-2013

US

837 Signins

10702 Page Views

• Views: 10702
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: T430U not booting - blank screen or never gets passed splash screen

2014-11-26, 16:01 PM

Connect the drive to another PC and, if it will read, copy off your pics.

Options

6 Posts

11-26-2014

USA

21 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-11-30, 23:16 PM

So it definitely ended up being the HDD. I have tried mounting the HDD in a USB enclosure to copy of pics but haven't had any luck yet.

On another note, I paid extra to have MS Office come installed on the machine. How do I get this back? I don't have any license key nor do I even remember exactly what version it had installed.

Options

4279 Posts

01-22-2010

US

38641 Signins

581361 Page Views

• Views: 581361
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-12-01, 0:18 AM

Install this on the computer that you are going to hook up the hard drive to: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

I've had pretty good luck with it in getting files off of dying hard drives.  Wrap the hard drive in a small towel and put it in the freezer for a half an hour, then take it out and hook it up and run recuva right away.  You might get lucky.

It sounds funny but I've had it work more than once.

Regards,

Dave 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms