11-02-2019

DE

4 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 1 of 3

T430s, Windows 10 x64, RCIMGDIR.exe high cpu

2019-11-02, 12:52 PM

I started using my beautiful T430s i7 3520M recently and i am very happy so far.

There is only a weird issue with the webcam driver (still 05/07/2013 at the lenovo support site).

It is the Ricoh webcam driver version 1.0.0.30.

In fact the driver is doing ok, the webcam works.

However, in Winodws 10 it is possbiel to choose from the settings menu a 'privacy' tab where it is possible to set camera settings.

One of those settings is called:

'Allow apps to access your camera'

For this one I  choose  'off'. (For whatever the purpose is, trusting Micro$oft is always dubious)

What I have discovered now is , that if I reboot the pc, it boots up, but a higher cpu speed is occuring.

When I checked taskmanager and 'processes' I see a process called "RCIMGDIR.exe'

hanging at 30% cpu speed. First I didn't see any relation, and simply killed it. To stop it eating cpu speed.

Later I found this process is related to the Ricoh webcam driver located here:

'C:\Program Files (x86)\Integrated Camera Driver\X64\RCIMGDIR.exe '

And now the amazing part; when, after booting up the system, in task manager this RCIMGDIR.exe  process hangs, I can stop it by going to privacy settings ( 'Allow apps to access your camera') and switch it to 'on' . The moment,  I switch it 'ON' the  'RCIMGDIR.exe' stops consuming cpu speed and disappears completely in taskmanager.... 

So, the 'off' option in windows 10 , gives a loop or something in that webcam ricoh driver.

Why is that? Is there a new driver that stops this from happening without this procedure?

Is it a Microsoft issue? How to stop it? (without putting the privacy switch to camera 'on' by default......)

Thanks anyone for idea's.

Options

11281 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39723 Signins

415403 Page Views

• Views: 415403
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T430s, Windows 10 x64, RCIMGDIR.exe high cpu

2019-11-02, 16:12 PM

Intel says that Ivy Bridge processors (6 generations old) support windows 10 and many people run it on those and older systems, BUT the drivers for your webcam come from Ricoh and normally are given to Microsoft to include in windows 10 images.  The same things happen with drivers for all other devices (audio, video, etc.)  After 3 or 4 years, the driver updates for older devices stop coming.  When a new OS version is released, computer makers test systems they support and report incompatibilities to the device makers so they can be fixed, but again, after a few years, the systems makers stop testing and certifying the systems for new OS versions.  Even if incompatibilities were reported, it is unlikely special coding would be implemented to support older systems and devices.  That doesn't necessarily mean you are screwed.  If you go to the Ricoh website or the microsoft download site, there may be a later version of the webcam driver that was intended for a newer camera.  Those drivers often work on older devices, but nobody guaranties or certifies that they will work

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

3 Posts

11-02-2019

DE

4 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T430s, Windows 10 x64, RCIMGDIR.exe high cpu

2019-11-02, 18:54 PM

Thanks Richk,

But this old (6 generations old) processor still outruns many low end laptops of today. Look it up for yourself at benchmark: https://versus.com/en/intel-core-i7-3520m

Windows 10 is running smooth and gentle.Just to put a stamp  'old computer' on this case is too easy here concerning this is only a webcam driver issue. If windows driver development stops for a single device, it means it is a poor o.s. that support new products ONLY. And it includes manipulating people that way to upgrade without reason.

To test this statement I did an experiment today. I have installed a different harddrive in this T430s laptop and afterwards  installed elementary o.s. on it.  (a Linux Debian daugther o.s.)  Wow what a speed! And no driver issues at all! Lenovo really designed these thinkpad laptops with an eye on linux and using it now, shows great perfomance.

I just mention this here, for some people still thinking Micro$oft is holy.

https://elementary.io/

p.s.: keep in mind that other types of hardware might need a certain patch to get all wifi and GPU devices running

on them with linux os'ses. The reason for that is similar like Richk describes. In those cases the manufacturer doesn't care for linux and only for $$$ (Micro$oft). However, for many types of those devices great open source drivers are available and developed by the linux community. For many of those  'open source' drivers fine user install manuals are available on the net. That is because Linux doesn't simply say....You're too old!!!

Ok , I accept this Ricoh driver issue on that windows drive. If anybody else has an idea about it, just let it hear! :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete