Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

08-17-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 1 of 8

T440S will not recognize M.2 256-GB SSD

2018-08-17, 16:28 PM

I just installed a MYDIGITALSSD Super Boot 2 42mm SATA III 2242 M.2 SSD 256-GB in my T440S. The laptop does not recognize a second drive. I can't find the drive to format and use. Does anyone have an idea why that would be? Did I miss something? Thanks!

Answer
Options

6 Posts

08-17-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

77 Page Views

Re: T440S will not recognize M.2 256-GB SSD

2018-08-23, 17:51 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. After buying an external housing I was able to initialize the SSD. I then installed it in the T440S and it works perfectly! I still have no idea why I lost my trackpad after putting the SSD in the laptop uninitialized. I guess that is history since it is working now.

After getting the advice to initialize the drive above, I did some more looking around (should have done that to begin with) and found step by step instructions by MyDigitalSSD on how to initialize the drive. They say it will not be recognized until it is initialized. 

Hope this helps someone else.

P.S.- I know this laptop is an old one but it is awesome. Fingerprint scanner, thin, lightweight, core i5, 8GB ram 180GB SSD + 256GB M.2 SSD. Love this thing!

Replies(7)
Options

6 Posts

08-17-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

T440S will not recognize M.2 256-GB SSD

2018-08-17, 16:51 PM

For some reason the title changed, I did not type that in. I updated the title. Also, I removed the SSD from the M.2 slot because all of a sudden I lost my track pad. It would not work at all. I could not even access the BIOS. I removed it and everything went back to normal. No idea what could be going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options

29 Posts

05-30-2017

Canada

1881 Signins

25674 Page Views

• Views: 25674
  • Message 3 of 8

2018-08-17, 21:35 PM

Did you initialize the new drive? Do you have an external enclosure to enable you to test the new drive? I used such an m.2 enclosure to initialize mine (an AData), and had considered purchasing the one you have. It does sound like you have serious problems. If the track pad did not quit immediately, perhaps the drive was dying. Did you disable the internal battery? Did you use the WWAN slot? What about static electricity during installation?

Edit: The drive is an AData, the enclosure is an iCan.

Options

6 Posts

08-17-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2018-08-17, 22:54 PM
Initialize the new drive? I am not how to do that. Unfortunately, I do not have a way to test the drive externally. The track pad did not fail until I rebooted the laptop several times to see if the drive would eventually be recognized. The red mouse button still worked after the track pad failed. I did disable the internal battery. I did insert the drive in the WWAN slot. I was also very careful about static discharge.

I went ahead and removed the drive and everything went back working normally. Although, I did have an issue entering BIOS until I disabled fast boot in the power options.

Not sure where to go from here. I would like to install the drive but do not want to risk the laptop. Just got it! My plan was upgrade to W10 (done) then install 2nd drive and eventually dual boot to linux.
Options

29 Posts

05-30-2017

Canada

1881 Signins

25674 Page Views

• Views: 25674
  • Message 5 of 8

2018-08-18, 0:52 AM

The drive has to be initialized before File Explorer can see it. You may be able to initialize it after it is installed with W10 Disk Management, but I prefer to initialize it before installation using an external enclosure. Google can give you a lot of details.

You really need a way to connect the m.2 externally so that you can test it without frying your PC. There are many ways to accomplish this, with adapter starting at less than $20, and more versatile solutions starting at under $30. such as
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-M-2-SATA-SSD-Enclosure/dp/B00T8F298Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1534553073&sr=8-7&keywords=m.2+cable

Options

6 Posts

08-17-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-08-18, 2:03 AM

That is an excellent idea and I agree completely. Thank you for the info and the link. I will try to remember to update as soon as I have found the cause of the problem.

Still wondering why the track pad would not work. It obviously had something to do with the SSD because it went back to normal after I removd it. I am sure it was installed correctly. I have built MANY computers. Albeit, this is the first time I have used M.2 slot. 

Options

34 Posts

05-03-2018

Australia

41 Signins

740 Page Views

• Views: 740
  • Message 7 of 8

2018-08-22, 22:16 PM

i've retrofitted a couple of these (hp notebooks) & for what it's worth - the option at the time of release was often a caching drive given the costs involved in higher storage (not withstanding the uncommon formfactor during the period where the NGFF itself was uncommon!)

There should be an option in bios to turn this from assign a AHCI status.

the reason why i'm chipping in is that the solution offered is a logical one but does not really address the inherent issue.

if it was indeed a drive recognition issue - you wouldn't require an external casing anyway. ensure the fitting is tight - uninstall the sta driver and reboot.

then use the diskpart utility via cmd and put in list disk. even uninitialized disks should be shown provided the connection is stead.

proceeed to select the disk if shown and enter "clean" as command.

from there you can either continue to format the drive in cmd or move on back to device management tab to see it pop in for a GUI interface format.

goodluck!

p.s. man - the 2242 is just puny and while speeds aren't great - its a great option for an old set.

the t440s may also have another space for a second 2243 m2 drive under the battery if i recall - otherwise it may ave been the L440.

Answer
Options

6 Posts

08-17-2018

United States of America

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2018-08-23, 17:51 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. After buying an external housing I was able to initialize the SSD. I then installed it in the T440S and it works perfectly! I still have no idea why I lost my trackpad after putting the SSD in the laptop uninitialized. I guess that is history since it is working now.

After getting the advice to initialize the drive above, I did some more looking around (should have done that to begin with) and found step by step instructions by MyDigitalSSD on how to initialize the drive. They say it will not be recognized until it is initialized. 

Hope this helps someone else.

P.S.- I know this laptop is an old one but it is awesome. Fingerprint scanner, thin, lightweight, core i5, 8GB ram 180GB SSD + 256GB M.2 SSD. Love this thing!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)