01-27-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 4

T440p Behavior Change with External Monitors and Laptop Lid

2020-01-27, 18:49 PM

The laptop is Lenova ThinkPad T440p, with Windows 7 64-bit OS. Intel HD Graphics 4600 - Video driver is version 10.18.14.4414.

Work setup is using the 'Thinkpad Pro 90W Pro Dock'. There is a cable connected from the dock to one monitor using VGA connections on both ends. A second cable from the dock to another monitor uses DVI-D Single on both ends. I have had this same laptop, with that work setup since 2014. All this time, I have always had my laptop open with the laptop monitor functioning as a 3rd monitor. The desktop is extended to all monitors, not duplicated to any of them. I use a similar setup at home, but without a docking station -- 2 external monitors and the laptop monitor functioning as a 3rd monitor.

Here's the issue: Roughly two weeks ago, I put my laptop into the dock at work and neither monitor would come on. After about an hour of working with just the laptop monitor, I locked my laptop and left. When I came back about 15 minutes later and unlocked the laptop, the VGA connected monitor came to life. The other monitor still briefly displays 'No input' and goes blank. My internal Tech Support came over and changed out the DVI-D cable, but that didn't help. She then replaced the Dock, but still no change. She re-installed the video driver, but that also did not help. By accident, she closed the laptop lid and the blank second monitor came to life. If I open the laptop lid back up, that DVI-D connected monitor turns off again. The only way to keep both external monitors alive is to keep the laptop lid closed.

However, nothing has changed at home - I can still keep the laptop lid opened and use it as a third monitor, with my 2 external monitors. The only difference is that since I don't use a Dock at home, the home setup is using the mini-DP connector on the side of the laptop, connecting to the monitor via a regular DP connector. The second monitor is still VGA to VGA.

Since home uses mini-DP to DP and work uses DVI-D to DVI-D, could there be some hardware issue with my laptop suddenly communicating differently between those 2 setups? Or some setting that possibly got changed that makes those 2 setups behave differently now? Anything else that I can look at to figure out what changed and is causing the work behavior? There were no updates applied to the laptop around that time - the issue happened on Jan 14th and the most recent Windows updates was on Dec 25th.

Thanks

Solved! See the solution
Options

240 Posts

06-26-2016

DE

847 Signins

8593 Page Views

• Views: 8593
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: T440p Behavior Change with External Monitors and Laptop Lid

2020-01-28, 16:36 PM

This is strange, but sometimes I 've seen similar issues when using an older HP laptop ( I think it was Intel HD grahics 4500 ).

Sometimes system did not enable ext. displays. What usually did the trick was  first to disable all extended desktops in Intels control panel or windows display dialog.  Reboot the system and then enable  each ext. display again.

If this does not help  try, while system is not docked, to delete both work based displays in device manager. You'll need to enable the   View - > 'show hidden devices'  option in device manager first.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

0 Posts

01-27-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2020-01-28, 16:49 PM

I won't be back to the office for a few days, but I will try this at that time and reply back with the results.  

Thank you.

Options

0 Posts

01-27-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2020-01-30, 13:56 PM

The first solution worked.  

Thank you very much !!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save