Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-23-2021

Belgium

5 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 2

t440p crashes during boot when battery and adapter are both connected

2021-04-23, 20:40 PM

I have a t440p that only works if either the 60w adapter or the battery is plugged in, but does not work with both together. It will not work with a 90w adapter either, even though it is a compatible fru. After a failed attempt it will only work again with either the battery or 60w adapter after having done a cmos power cycle.

I would have suspected the cpu to throttle with just a 60w adapter, since the 90w adapter is recommended for this cpu, but it does not.

I have installed all the drivers from the t440p support page. It has not made a difference. Neither did it work after using Avast Driver Updater.

Updating the bios is however impossible, since the laptop does not work when using both the adapter and battery simultaneously. It is unfortunately necessary for updating the bios. Both of the adapters and the battery are lenovo oem.

t440p

windows 10 1803

i7-4712mq

bios 2.37

smbios 2.7

ec 1.12

Options

2 Posts

04-23-2021

Belgium

5 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:t440p crashes during boot when battery and adapter are both connected

2021-04-24, 7:29 AM

I managed to reflash the ec (fl2) with winphlash. It has gotten the laptop to work with the 90w adapter. Still no dice on using the laptop with both the battery and an adapter connected. Which means, as far as I know, that I cannot update my bios using lenovo's tools.

I have not been able to flash the bios (fl1) with winphlash or with Intel flash programming tool. When I try, winphlash gives the error "driver fail while locating SMM service" the intel tool tells me "cannot run on current platform. contact vendor". I have tried this with my current version of the bios as with the version that follows. These are the only internal ways of flashing the bios without a battery that I know of.

I have access to tools for external flashing, but would need some guidance if it were to come to taking this measure.

edit:

To be clear: when trying to boot the t440p when both an adapter and the battery are connected, the system does in fact post. Power gets cut off within a dozen seconds.

edit2:

It will not charge either. edit3: scratch that; now it does charge

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)