Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-02-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

35 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 2

T450s Random Shutdown

2020-04-02, 16:25 PM

About a month ago, My Thinkpad T450s shut down suddenly. On immediate startup, it again powered off without a warning. The problem seems to have faded away if I waited for sometime and then powered the device back on. At the time I was doubting thermals for the reason of the behavior. This random shutdown didn't occur again for a month until today.

I think I have isolated the issue. When the machine was on battery and external battery depleted, and internal battery began to deplete, it suddenly shut-down just like 1 month prior. 

I ran diagnostics (both web-based and firmware-based). Vantage is reporting battery is healthy (internal 25% wear, external 18%). No issues there.What is the reason of this erratic behavior and how can I fix it?

Options

2 Posts

04-02-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

35 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 35
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:T450s Random Shutdown

2020-04-04, 8:25 AM
  • Random shutdown happened 1 month ago (~4 times in 3 days). On Windows 10 (latest updates, single-boot)
  • Then device worked fine for a month (both on battery and on AC), on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu (Dual-boot)
  • Random shutdowns emerged again (4 times in 2 days)

Some followups:

Internal battery problem theory:

• When a random shutdown first happens, if I power on the laptop, boot shows this error:  https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/374627183760506890/695202917061361664/20200402_135745.jpg
  • Same error about battery 1(internal) happens on Windows 10 logging in (about battery not being genuine). Internal battery doesn't charge.
  • Internal battery fluctuates between ~full and 0 levels. I think random shutdowns happen when fluctuations are more frequent but it also happened while AC (90W, 4.5A) was connected.
  • Turned off the machine. Disabled internal battery in boot config menu. Removed external battery. Pushed a pin into emergency reset hole for 30 secs.  Connected the AC. Pushed power button for 30 secs.
  • Both batteries charge now but still less frequent fluctuations in capacity can be seen for internal battery.
  • I don't know the problem is with internal battery, 4.5A charger or motherboard charging circuitry

Thermal shutdown theory:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms