05-15-2017

AU

14 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 1 of 2

T460 Fan and Temperature

2017-05-17, 3:39 AM

Doing basic things like opening browser tabs causes my T460's fan to rev up to max speed for about 5 seconds. It's really loud and annoying. I installed Open Hardware Monitor and found that my CPU temperature spikes up to around 50 degrees celcius when this happens, and is around 30 degrees celcius when idle.

I don't think I had this problem before updating my drivers. Installing TPfancontrol did not help.

Could somebody please help me? Surely a laptop of this price should be able to open a few tabs without so much fan noise.

Solved! See the solution
Options

1 Posts

05-18-2017

US

5 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: T460 Fan and Temperature

2017-05-18, 15:46 PM

You are not successfully enabling TPFanControl if you are hearing the fan at 50 degrees. Right click the icon for it and change it to "Smart Mode 1". You can experiment with the .INI as well and change the default temperature the fan turns on for the first time. Mine is set to 65.

I have already had two T460s. The first one I got last year and the fan was not audible. The second one is very loud. I suspect the initial BIOS for this machine was much less aggressive with the fan and then changed it in later BIOSes. I don't believe they are going to modify the BIOS to help you. You will need to rely on TPFC for the life of your machine. (Which is no big deal).

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save