CY

8 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 1 of 14

T460: Windows 10 freezes when screen switches off while running on battery

2019-03-10, 16:49 PM

Hi, 

I'm experiencing a weird issue with my T460: roughly every other time when the screen switches off because of idle timeout (or sleep timer, if screen idle timer is disabled), T460 immediately freezes - lid LED remains lit, power LED remains lit, screen goes black (as expected), the system becomes unresponsive and the only way to bring it out of this state is to hold the power button for a hard reset. This is not a sleep issue: the system also locks up without enterting sleep mode, just from switching the screen off. This only happens when T460 is running on battery and doesn't happen at all when it runs on AC.  

T460 is running a fresh installation of fully updated Windows 10, the latest BIOS and the latest drivers. Other than exhibiting this weird issue with lock-ups when the screen switches off, the system is stable. I'm a little lost and would appreciate any suggestions.

Solved! See the solution
Options

16 Posts

03-11-2019

SE

35 Signins

271 Page Views

• Views: 271
  • Message 2 of 14

Re: T460: Windows 10 freezes when screen switches off while running on battery

2019-03-11, 13:38 PM

Oh, I have the same issue with my T480, I thought I was the only one!

Posted my issue as a new subject just a moment ago because I couldn't find anyone with my exact problem...but obviously I was wrong.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T480-black-screen-freezes-after-quot-Turn-off-the-display-quot/td-p/4380147

Do you have any update to the problem?

I haven't tried to recreate the black screen issue when on AC, but after reading your post I'm pretty sure that my T480 behaves the same as your T460, i.e. problem only occurs if running on battery (but I can't be sure, and since it doesn't happen every time I would have to spend hours testing it...not so thrilled about that).

Do you happen to have VirtualBox installed and running a few VMs? Or have you installed any drivers lately not related to Windows/Thinkpad, eg. a sound card driver? I ask because I've done this, and in both cases the installers required a system reboot, obviously because they needed some low level contact with the machine. Sadly I can't recall if I had the screen issue before these installs, but I probably did (it's only the last couple of weeks I've been using my T480 daily and therefore also noticing the black screen failure)  

Options

25 Posts

12-15-2014

CY

8 Signins

138 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2019-03-11, 17:49 PM

I have VMWare Workstation and a few VMs, but the issue existed prior to the installation of this software. 

I've installed the BIOS and all drivers suggested by Lenovo Update. They appear to be the latest available at the support website. I haven't experimented with downgrading the BIOS and/or drivers, because earlier versions do not seem to be readily available or at least I couldn't locate them.

I'm afraid I haven't got any positive updates: the issue persists :(

Options

16 Posts

03-11-2019

SE

35 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2019-03-12, 17:21 PM

It is sad to hear. The same here, every driver is fresh and it makes absolutely no difference what so ever.

I was about to ship away my T480 to Poland(!?) today for service but had to call FedEx and cancel the pickup. I need time to whipe the SSD from my personal data before I send it halfway through Europe...

Will use my very old Asus instead and I see this T480 as beyond saving, sadly I've spent the whole day migrating data...lots of time wasted. In the best of worlds Lenovo finds the issue and fix it (and gives me details so that I can trust they actually fixed it) or they send me a completely new laptop and I have to hope it is legit.

Yeh, blaming the hypervisor (VMWare/VirtualBox) for the issue is a long shot, Lenovo hardware failure is a much more likely explanation :/

Options

25 Posts

12-15-2014

CY

8 Signins

138 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2019-03-14, 6:37 AM

I had another go at it, following an advice from a friendly Reddit user.

I reset the power settings with "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" from an elevated command prompt. This removed the 'Power saver' and 'High performance' power plans from the list, now only the 'Balanced' plan remains.

The issue is gone: the system no longer locks up when the screen switches off, regardless of whether the notebook is running on battery or AC power.

I hope this helps!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

16 Posts

03-11-2019

SE

35 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2019-03-14, 11:41 AM

Very interesting indeed. I must admit I have difficulty believing that this easy fix will actually solve it, but at the same time I feel optimistic because I have in fact tweaked with the power plans... I added my own that I use when recording audio. When the black screens occur I have been running the stock "Balanced" plan though, but maybe the mere existence of added/tweaked plans will freak out Windows. If the answer came from some Reddit thread I'd love to read it.

This makes me wonder: Is this affecting only the T-series, and if so, why?? And it only happens sometimes which is an indication of some really nasty logical bug in the Windows code and/or Lenovo drivers.  I have never had this particular issue before with any Windows 10 laptop.

All my important data is now migrated to my old trustworthy T430s. It has a crappy TN-panel and bad batteries but at least it doesn't die on me whenever it feels like it. I am glad I postponed the service of my T480 and I will try your suggestion when I have some time over...since I can't trigger the black screen on command I have to sit with the computer and do actual work to notice it.

If this in fact turns out to be the solution then I'm forever thankful to you for letting me know! ...And also one more reason for me to ditch Windows (my experience these days is that Linux is actually less error prone than Windows, even if it has its own quirks).

Options

25 Posts

12-15-2014

CY

8 Signins

138 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2019-03-14, 12:33 PM

Changing stuff in power plans didn't help my issue either, but 'powercfg -restoredefaultschemes' did. Try it, might work for you too.

Options

16 Posts

03-11-2019

SE

35 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2019-03-14, 13:14 PM

I will for sure try it when I have some time over and post my result in this thread...I believe a lot of T-series machines are affected with this issue.

Options

16 Posts

03-11-2019

SE

35 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2019-03-18, 19:10 PM

Nope. I really hoped your "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" hack would work...and it did for somewhere between 15 and 20 screen timeouts...so much so that I got really existed and almost forgot about the issue...but just now it died on me. I had to do a hard shutdown of the machine, as usual.

zakhar, how often approximately did you experience issue? How often have you used your T460 since last time and is it still working? Anyway I suggest that you remove your solution tag (or whomever is responsible)...people may me confused. I have seen more post with this very issue, sadly they are scattered all over the forum and never seem to get Lenovos attention.

My last resort is to install Debian Linux tomorrow and hope it fixes it. Since it ONLY happens after the screen as entered sleep mode I still think/hope it could be a Windows 10 issue. I really don't want to return this T480 because I won the screen panel lottery with this one and don't want to play that again...

Options

25 Posts

12-15-2014

CY

8 Signins

138 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2019-03-18, 19:36 PM

I haven't experienced the issue with my T460 after resetting the power profiles with powercfg. I'm sorry that this method didn't work for you. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete